Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying To Interpret My Gastric Sleeve's Signals

I have no appetite at all. None. I wake up in the morning and do a little walk, about 15 mins or so, then I get back home and start to get my family ready for the day. No desire to eat at all. I may have a sip of Water, but just enough to take a Vitamin. On my way to work I usually have a half a cup (4oz) of tea. By that time I kinda feel Ms. Sleeve saying something, so I'm assuming that she wants to eat. When I get to work I usually get a boiled egg and it takes me forever to eat it because I have no desire to eat it. Anyway, I usually have a little more tea after that, probably an hour or two later, just to get the taste of the egg outta my mouth. Sometimes i find myself gargling with mouthwash constantly and brushing my teeth because these tastes tend to linger in my mouth and it nauseates me. At about 1 pm, I take my Nexium tablet. I've been taking it at that time every day since I been sleeved, so it's just what I've been doing. I noticed that about 15 minutes after I have it, Ms. Sleeve starts to act really weird; I don't get hungry, but I do get nauseous and end up running to the chinese restaurant to get some egg drop or wonton Soup to calm her down. Today I ate two wontons and didn't drink the soup; she seemed to be fine, but then about 1/2 hour later, my stomach just felt weird, so I decided to have some more tea. I tried to drink water first, but it tasted like metal to me, so I couldn't deal with it. Now I have this constant feeling like if I make a wrong move, I'll vomit. Like the food/liquid hasn't settled in my stomach, or like I've eaten too much.

This has been my story for the past 4 days; what am I doing wrong? I'm not eating while I'm drinking, and I'm really not consuming much food at all. Am I taking in too much Fluid? I thought the fluid thing was good because I need to stay hydrated? SMH

I've been stressing over the fact that i'm not getting much food in at all. My Nut isn't very happy about it either, but what's a no-appetite, nauseous girl to do?

I am 21 days post op and i feel you on this 100%. I could go all day with out eating. And it would not bug me at all. I try and get my fluids in as for me that is very hard as well. Just today i noticed that my reflux med's are not working any more so that makes it really hard for me to eat. I am trying to eat protien bars because they are soft and i can chew them well. I just started this yesterday and it took me from this am till about 130pm to eat the 1.76oz bar. Now i sit here and all i can feel is this acid...I hope things get better for you soon, take care.

My doctor and the nutritionist say you need at least 80-100 grams of Protein per day so that you are not losing muscle tissue and so that you heal properly. All fluids combined should be as close to 64 oz as you can.

Are you monitoring your fluids and Protein? Were you not given dietary recommendations?

I have the same issues ladies. Katie, I think we know what is needed and you are right about that but the issue is that no matter what we try it's hard to adapt to it right now. Tell us your secret ;0)

My doctor and the nutritionist say you need at least 80-100 grams of Protein per day so that you are not losing muscle tissue and so that you heal properly. All fluids combined should be as close to 64 oz as you can.

Are you monitoring your fluids and Protein? Were you not given dietary recommendations?

Getinmybelly - we are here *pointing two fingers back and forth between our eyes*

I know the guidelines, we all do. My issue is that im not sure that im still having trouble understanding the signals my stomach is sending me And im worried that im doing something wrong because i feel overly full all day even tho im not taking in much.

Im amazed at the amounts of food people are taking who have been sleeved around the dame time as me. Its been five hours and im still uncomfortablr after having lunch. Smh

Ladies, I had similar feelings in my tummy and it stopped as soon as my doc switched me from chewable Calcium to Tums. One of you is taking Nexium in the afternoon, why not try it in the morning? See if that helps. I take 2 or 3 doses of Tums a day. I'm a little further out than you are, but I've been taking the Tums since the beginning of my 2nd month (I think) and it's really helped with that slightly nauseous feeling I had. Of course, if I eat too much, I'll get the feeling again, but that's because I'm overly full.

Also, do you stop drinking for a bit before you try to eat? I'm sure you do, but, I try to stop drinking about a half hour before I eat. That way my sleeve isn't full of liquid when I'm trying to get Protein in there. Maybe that would help?

Oh, and I'm amazed that you can drink tea, because tea tastes like metal to me right now. :)

Good luck!! :)

I took and still take a Famatodine (pepcid) when I first get up, with Water to wash it down. I like to drink something warm in the morning.(tea or broth) It is important for me to start drinking fluids as soon as I get up. I have a Protein drink or smoothie or maybe yogurt with extra Protein in it or cottage cheese for Breakfast. then 30 minutes later, more liquid. I don't try to eat real food til mid day. If I feel gassy or crampy or like there is too much acid in my stomach, I drink something warm and take a GASX strip. I took another Famatodine (Pepcid) in the evening up until about six months, along with a prilosec. Now I just take the prilosec.

Early on, Vitamins made me nauseous. It took me awhile to settle on what would work for me. I take adult gummy vitamins from costco in the morning, along with calcium chews. I take chewable Iron and C at night.

Hang in there, it gets better.

OMG, I think the Tums was the trick! I've also been dealing with a chronic cough that I think is related to acid reflux (self diagnosing at this point, havent been to my MD yet) and I decided to try the antacid route since I'm afraid to take another Nexium. So far so good! I guess since I'm not getting that much in there's lots of acid in my belly and it's causing havoc and Im coughing and in alot of discomfort. Thanks for all your responses and suggestions. Really appreciate it!

It's also very likely that there is no trigger for hunger like you are used to. I have found that I need to schedule my meals in order to get my Protein in . . . and sometimes eat when i don't want to. Weirdest feeling ever for an ex-fat girl who LOVED her food!!!

It's also very likely that there is no trigger for hunger like you are used to. I have found that I need to schedule my meals in order to get my Protein in . . . and sometimes eat when i don't want to. Weirdest feeling ever for an ex-fat girl who LOVED her food!!!

This was the trick for me early on. I never felt hungry (actually, still don't after 7 months). I could no longer rely on my stomach to give me any signals. I would set my alarm to remind myself to do another Protein Drink. For the first six weeks after surgery I felt that my full time job was to get in enough Protein.

My stomach still makes all kinds of strange gurling sounds that I can't identify the cause of. Sometimes it happens before I eat, other times after -- no pattern. I wouldn't rely on what your body is telling you right now. Focus on what your nutritionist/doctor's is telling you.

Marie