Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December sleevers!

I'm up for a challenge if someone wants to start one. It's amazing how much knitting I'm doing now that I can't eat. :-)

LOL, yep, my project bag is always next to me, for sure! But I am procrastinating on finishing the second sock of a pair for my husband. Big feet. Little patience, but I am right at the point of turning the heel.

Hello everyone....

I was sleeved on the 28th, everything has gone textbook perfect. I did have a very raised blood sugar which at times will happen with trauma and surgery. The therapy included hourly finger sticks testing my levels followed by insulin injection until my body stabilized. I have never been diagnosed as diabetic. My Dr is very proactive, and immediately wanted that under control to avoid any further complicates and stressors so that I can have the best possible recovery .

I would say that I'm doing very well.Overall I have NOT had any chest pains, like my sister had reported. My pain is more left side abdominal pain and tiredness. I've been walking a lot, still have not passed any gas . I have no pains from my belly button up. I have finally been disconnected from the oxygen, urinary cath and special insulin IV. I have had about 8 ounces of Water today in and it'd the carnation instant Breakfast stays down tomorrow, I get rid of the regular I

go home. :-)

Sorry that I had't finished my last message, apparently was interrupted and then fell asleep. I was about to say that for those of you that had read my earlier posting about my friend in ICU who was found to have had a leak 3 months out and underwent a 7.5 hour surgery to repair the leak and drain off as much infection as they could here is an update. I walked down to see her last evening. She is basically unchanged. still in a medicated coma, kidney and liver failure so they have her hooked up to a dialysis machine, another device that does the function of the liver along with 20 plus bottles of blood products, antibiotics etc. and the life support machine which does your breathing for you.

there have been some improvements to some of her labs, but nothing significant. They feel today after the dialysis things should show some improvement, so please keep those prayers coming.

happy, thanks for updating us. Glad to hear you are doing okay.

I am still in shock about your friend... I can't figure out why they did the gastric bypass when they realized she had a failing liver. My continued prayers for her recovery.

I am at about 2.5 weeks out and while I am doing good, my energy is still low. I am learning to adapt to pureed food. The biggest challenge is getting in enough Protein. After a day I realized that I still need to use the Protein Drinks for some of my meals. IT is wonderful to eat something food like again, but, it is also a little scary in the sense of worrying about old bad habits. I did mess up yesterday and had a small serving of ice cream. It was there and I just had some, it wasn't like I had been craving it or anything. I didn't have much and it didn't ruin my day or anything, so i am not getting too upset about it, it just isn't how I want to be eating. One day at a time, as the saying goes.

Happy my prayers are with your friend.

3weeks out and feeling good. I, too , am still drinking Protein Shakes to supplement some meals.

Currently eating: baked Talipia , couscous(whole wheat) , grits, yogurt, sugar free Popsicles, eggs scrambled w/ cheese, cheese sticks, chicken (dark meat), Soups.

I cheated at least twice and I really don't feel guilty. I have hit that third week stall but I also was not consistent with going to the gym. I'm back on track and that's all that matters.

My advice : Don't beat yourself up for cheating. Really, how much damage are you doing if we can't get more than 3 oz in at a time.

Continued success in 2012 December sleevers. HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

FINALLY, my 3rd week stall is over. Walked on a slight incline on the treadmill and boy was I drenched. Can you say out of shape. UGH! Nonetheless, I'm losing wait again and am happy about it.

Back to work tuesday. Yippie. I was getting so bored at home.

I am back.... I tried writing a lengthy reply about my progress and my friend yesterday, but for some reason, it didn't post and I was too tired to repeat it .

First let me clarify things about my friend. She went into surgery for her bypass knowing she had fatty liver disease which is not uncommon in the morbidly obese. Once they were in there they discovered that she had cirrhosis of the liver and at that time the cause unknown since she is not a drinker. She went home to recover from her bypass before they could investigate any further into her liver issue. She was doing great, had lost a lot of weight, was walking and exercising, was feeling very good about herself and then starting having some blood in her mouth and pain in her side. So they moved her appointment up with the hematologist. After running several blood tests is when they realized that her liver was starting to fail. She was then set up for an appointment in Boston. Over the last couple weeks her pain had gotten worse, all of her Dr's assumed it was because of her worsening liver issues. The Friday before Christmas she went to Boston to find out that she needed a liver transplant and that the cirrhosis was caused by years of ibuprofen use on top of the fatty liver disease. She continued to take pain meds for the increase in pain, but on Christmas day she could no longer bear it and went to the ER. After some testing they discovered that her pain was caused from a leak and severe peritonitis. She was taken to a larger facility and after a 7.5 hour surgery, she is still in ICU, in a medicated induced coma and hooked up to every machine known to man, including dialysis, life support, some machine doing liver functions etc. . She has complete kidney and liver failure and there has been no change in several days. The leak may have occurred during a trip to the gym. She had reported to a friend that she "hurt " herself at the gym, had heard a pop and was unable to do anything but walk the last couple weeks. I visited her twice while in the hospital and it is very scary. I have never seen so much equipment in my life.

We are all praying for her. She has a long road ahead, when she recovers from this leak and it's complications, she will still have to get strong enough for a liver transplant.

As for me, it's day four post-op. I am usually very stoic. I got up today feeling under the weather. I'm sure it's natural. I got in all my liquids yesterday, but woke today feeling exhausted, a little dizzy, I'm sipping my Protein Drink but am not the least bit interested and have had a couple bouts of diarrhea. My pains are not where I think they should be, but more lower abdominal, next to my belly button. I wanted to avoid my pain medication to get stronger, but I just took a half dose in hopes it picks me up out of this funk.

My sister had the sleeve four months ago and I can't compare my experience to hers. She had a lot of upper abdominal pains when swallowing . The pain was between her breasts, I have no pain at all swallowing, but feel gas moving around when I do. I have no interest in eating at all. She went back to work on day 5, there is no way I feel like working tomorrow.

I will keep plugging along and hope that I feel good by the 9th, that's my official go back to work day. :-) As much as I have read in here, read at obesity help and my sisters experience, nothing prepares you for your own experience. I feel like I have a case of the flu with maybe doing a few to many sit ups. Just a tender tummy like I over exercised.

Any suggestions from you experienced folks would be greatly appreciated. Happy New Year to you all.

I had my sleeve Dec 10 and I am at a stall too. You get soo upset with your self and look back at what I have eaten and wonder what else to do. We eat very little several times a day and all I feel like is Im only eating Protein. I hope what they say is when your at a stall you are loosing inches and not pounds. I guess we didn't put it on over night so we can't expect to take it off over night.

Happy New Year December Sleevers!

Here is a really nice little summary of why pretty much EVERYONE stalls a few weeks after surgery. It has helped bolster my spirits since I have been stalled for a week! Yes, this is a different kind of surgery, but the info about stalls applies to all!

http://www.dsfacts.com/weight-loss-stall-or-plateau.html

As far as soreness, I too had it more in my abs and it was a lot more severe then i expected. You are right, it is such an individual journey, you can't compare yourself to someone else. I try to remind myself that on the weight loss too - I am really really happy with my progress so far until I start comparing myself to some of the super losers on the forums. I am happy for them, and have to remind myself that to stay focused on my own journey. I guess sometimes I feel that sense of wanting to be sure I am fully taking advantage of that magical first year and get off as much weight as possible.

I consider myself in the doldrums right now. I am feeling okay, but not great as I am still tired. I lost some good weight early on, but have been in a stall for nearly a week. I have lost enough that I am fitting back into some pants that I had "grown out of" but not enough for others to notice. I have faith that another 30-60 days I will have sailed out of the doldrums and I will be really noticing a difference!

It is very exciting to imagine that in 2012 I have a good chance of moving from being obese to just "overweight" which i consider a major victory! I am really hoping that a year from now I am out of the plus sizes and shopping int he normal sizes! My BMI has already gone from 51 presurgery, 49 the day of surgery to 46 now!

Hi everyone! Congrats to all the December sleevers I didn't get a chance to cheer on. I haven't been doing well, having a difficult time getting my Water and Protein in. I'm just not hungry and can't drink that much. Now, I can tell you that hunger was NEVER a factor in when I ate prior to surgery but it is now. I have had to get tests for C. diff due to diarrhea, IV fluids, and other tests during the past couple of weeks since my surgery. I've lost 18 lbs, but put on a few after I had 2 liters of fluids infused.

I have times that I have such severe abdominal cramps that I start dry heaving. I have been checked and there are no apparent leaks. I'm just tired all the time and have no motivation for anything, including posting messages, although I do read everything. I'm sure I'll feel better eventually. Sorry for the negative post.

Happy 2012 to us all! It is going to be an exciting year!!

Terri

Honeydew, I'm sorry that you're not feeling good. I am only sleeved as of the 28th. I have been reading in here for a long time and also know two people that have had the sleeve, yet don't know what is " normal" for me . I have had diarrhea all day and a very gassy stomach, but thought that was normal, when did you decide that it wasn't normal and got checked for c-diff?

I thought the liquid diet was doing it and thought

maybe adding benefiber to my diet which may firm things up. Has this been suggest by your Dr?

I am writing this note with a heavy heart to let those who gave me support and comforting words for my friend who was suffering from bypass complications, know that she passed away yesterday afternoon after a courageous battle. Shelly had numerous underlying health issues that brought her to weight loss surgery and those coupled with an undetected leak more than three months post op where more than she could battle. As I had written before, she became sick on Christmas Day and my VSG was scheduled for Dec. 28th. It was a struggle for me to go through with the surgery at that moment, but she was as excited as I was, knowing I had battled the insurance company for so long. So after a long day of crying and careful thought about my health issues which are small in comparison, about my future and avoidance of further health issues, and my feelings that VSG has less complications, I forged ahead . She would have wanted me to. She was a kind soul and will be sadly missed greatly by all those that knew her. Just 45 years old she had so much real life ahead of her, had already lost 75 pounds, was walking and exercising every day and her self esteem had already soared, There are times that justifiable answers are not available. Thanks again for your supoprt. I am at day 7, believe I am doing fantastic and now have another angel to watch over me.

Happy, I am sorry for the loss of your dear friend. Know that she is walking with you during your journey. Take care and God Bless you.

Happy, so sorry for your loss.. My sincere prayers and condolences to you and her loved ones.. SMH, sometimes there are no words that will comfort or even help us start to understand.. Just know that you are in my thoughts and prayers as you continue your journey to health and wellness..

Love and Hugs,

Tina