Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What should my daily caloric intake goal be?

In all my documentation from my surgeon and nutritionist, it only talks about getting 60-70 grams of Protein a day. Over all caloric intake is not discussed anywhere. I am in the dreaded week three stall and am trying really hard not to let it go to my head. Really struggling with this so I am trying to focus on other things. I know I can pretty much get the protein in but don't know if I'm actually getting enough calories. Any one know what the total fat grams per day target should be? I see carbs should 50 grams or less. What about sugar? I try to avoid it over all but sometimes it can't be avoided.

Thanks for your help. This site is a very valuable tool.

My program does not specify a particular caloric goal, either, just the basic Protein goals that all programs have (or should have.) Some programs state a blanket 6-800 calorie goal for everyone which is certainly a good minimum to provide something approaching tolerable nutrition during the weight loss phase, The protein is essential as you body has no other way of getting the basic amino acids (the building blocks of the proteins) while carbs/sugars it can convert from you fat stores (and protein/muscle if you are really active and demanding upon your body,) while there is almost no end to the fat that we have on board! Most of the essential Vitamins and minerals we can get from supplements during this phase when we are malnourishing ourselves, tho long term we do need to get back to (or adopt if we weren't there before) a well balanced diet to maintain ourselves with a minimum of supplements as real food sources tend to be better than artificial ones in most cases.

If you can be satisfied in the 6-800 calorie range, that seems to be a good range to live in for this time, though many do well at somewhat higher levels depending upon their weight loss goals (need for high caloric deficits,) activity/exercise levels and individual metabolic rates. Even early on I was running in the 900-1000 cal per day range as a comfortable level and I have allowed that to creep up to around 1100 as I have added more balanced nutrition to my diet, but I'm working on the last 20lb towards goal at five months out, so I have more margin to play with than someone who still has 100lb to go.

Carb goals vary by program - some are dedicated low carb while others emphasize more balanced nutrition avoiding the simple sugars and otherwise empty calories (junk food). I don't control to either fat nor carb grams but to overall caloric intake as it is the basic caloric deficit (calories burned minus calories consumed) that drive the weight loss; other factors like the low carb/ketosis game that is popular these days are minor in comparison (though if one has diabetic issues, the low carb diet of 30ish g is often prescribed for that on a temporary basis, irrespective weight loss concerns.) If you keep the calories and protein in check, the rest will tend to work out reasonably well during this phase. I am typically running about 80-90g carbs (still low for the calories on a classic balanced nutrition basis, but the protein emphasis that we have skews things some,) with about 35g fat and 10g sat fats; most of the basic and essential nutrients are at satisfactory levels except for potassium which is hard to get enough in with our limited volume (and even harder if one is carb restricted) and near impossible to supplement without prescription but that's being monitored.

I will be getting the gastric sleeve next month. I went to a support group meeting last week and met 3 people that had the gastric sleeve. They were all around a year or alittle less post op and their caloric intake is between 1200-1400. All have lost significant amounts of weight. Hope this helps.

I need help. I need to know if this is normal amounts or gonna make me not Lose right:

My Protein Shakes have 7g of carbs and I have to drink that serving 6 times a day.

My Vitamins have 6g of carbs per day.

Isn't this too much??!! Ugh thanks !!!

My nut won't give me a number to shoot for. She says as long as I get at least 65-70 grams of protien in a day thats what matters. But its my opinion that my body needs more than 600 calories a day to function properly. I personally shoot for 1000-1200 calories a day now that I work out 5 days a week. Those are good, healthy calories with an occasional treat. I do not want to lose my hair, or ruin my metabolism, and I would prefer to lose my weight slowly, preserve my muscle mass, and hopefully help my skin tone. I feel great, down almost 3 sizes, and I am halfway to goal at 2 months out! Its working for me.

I need help. I need to know if this is normal amounts or gonna make me not Lose right:

My Protein shakes have 7g of carbs and I have to drink that serving 6 times a day.

My Vitamins have 6g of carbs per day.

Isn't this too much??!! Ugh thanks !!!

That depends upon whether your doc has you on one of those low carb diets or not. The most important factor is the caloric deficit (calories burned minus calories consumed) while the composition of those calories is a minor point (beyond the minimum Protein levels.) Your drinks and Vitamins are less than 50g carbs per day which is still low, though not as low as the dedicated low carbers like to see. But protein is by far the most important thing and all through this weight loss phase we are making compromises in our diets to accomodate our weight loss goals, particularly early on when we are so very limited on what we can eat. Not getting in the requisite protein and Water will screw up your weight loss and health big time, while a few extra carbs will not do much of anything.

Thank u!!

My program doesn't (and won't) recommend calorie intakes, the focus is on getting Protein and nutrition from food as early post-op as possible. I do track my calories and protein on fitness pal, and I'm usually in the 1200 cal range at nearly 8 months out. I have been 1000+ since a month or two after surgery.