Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbonated Drinks and Fried Foods

I'm a month out. I ate two bites of a breaded and fried chicken tender the other day and I slimed, threw up, slimed more, threw up more, slimed... you get the picture. I'm thinking never again, even if it was probably just too soon.

I am 3 months out and haven't had a carbonated drink since the night before preop! I had a sip of my son's soda, and it was so sweet and didn' feel good going down my throat. I don't plan on doing that again.

awwww mann! After reading this, not yet sleeved - im a bit shattered that I may not be able to drink Champayne or Cider!

Couldnt care less about coke, pepsi etc cos I cant stand them anyway - but not the champayne!! *tear*

I took a couple of drinks of my daughters coke the other day because I was dying of thirst and didn't have a drink with me. I swished it around in my mouth to try to get rid of the bubbles. I could tell if I drank more than 2 or 3 drinks it would make me feel icky but it didn't bother me.

My surgeon says you can definitely stretch your sleeve and not to drink carbonated drinks. I've read a lot of posts about the strechy part of stomach being gone and what's left is more leather like and can't stretch that much. When I asked my surgeon he said that a lot of the more stetch part is gone but you can still stretch your sleeve. For me drinking soda is not worth the risk of stretching my sleeve. I'm already scared to death of losing my restriction. I'm not taking that risk. Besides, soda isn't good for anyone and I don't bring it into my house because I don't want my kids drinking it.

As far a fried food goes, I can eat anything. I haven't found any food that bothers me. I'm glad that I have the option to eat whatever I want but I choose to make healthy choices. I'm paranoid of not being successful after going through a nine month waiting period and surgery.

My surgeon said carbonation will stretch the sleeve and says if we must make sure it's diet and it's "flat" with all carbonation gone

My doctor says that the sleeve cannot be stretched. The part of the stomach with the stretcy tissue has all been removed. He says some doctors say that as a scare tactic. He says carbonation will may simply make you too gaseous and perhaps cause stomach aches, so to me it isn't worth it. I was a diet pepsi fanatic and stopped cold turkey a month before my surgery. Now all I drink is Water flavored with Mio flavoring. Don't even crave sodas at all anymore.