Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

Man. I'm really struggling! I've had a bunch of fills, only small amounts at a time. The last fill I got really has given me noticable restriction. However, because I am so limited at meals, I have found myself eating ice cream and other Desserts that are very easy to get down. I'm not losing weight. And in fact, since my last fill, I've gained a little. I don't know why I am not working better WITH my band. I tend to think more like, what all can I eat, instead of what little food I can get by with and not be hungry. :D

Anybody got any helpful pointers?? Anyone having this same problem?

I am on hormone replacement but I honestly don't think it is causing my problems. I've been on HRT for years and years because I had a hysterectomy when I was 48. I'm 60 now.

Surgery date: 9/11/06

pounds lost: 40

I was band the same month and year as you and have lost the same amount of weight...do you think because you cant eat the right things that maybe you could get a small unfill so you could eat the good things and get yourself back on track? Hey if you need to talk please email me at r2ht4u@aol.com (Donna)

Denise and Donna- Thanks so much for your input! Makes me feel better about myself in some ways. I laughed outloud about the chocolate rice cakes! I can identify. :embarassed:

My DH just retired and we came back from a vacation where I was a bad girl. I'm thinking I'm going to do better next week when he leaves town for a two-week business trip. :tired

I sure hadn't thought of an unfill. I just keep thinking if I am more restricted I will eat less. Maybe you're right - if I weren't so restricted I wouldn't be quite so obsessed about getting food (especially chocolate) all the time. :)

Bjean: I totally understand what you are saying. It's a mental thing. My doctor told me I should only eat 1/2 c. of food or I could stretch my pouch. I just can't do that. Mentally, I can't do it. I would probably feel full now that I have some restriction, but mentally it's not enough. I found myself cheating more when I thought I might be depriving myself. It's a mental game. I've been able to relax more lately. I think that my band has also loosened a bit, since my last fill. I know I'm not going to starve and so I've been able to eat more slowly and go back to being a good bandster. Just give yourself and little room to experiment and feel comfortable with your new restriction. I bet you'll do better and start losing again. Also, try to keep ice cream etc out of the house!

karey: You're absolutely right about keeping it out of the house. Sort of out of house, out of mind. Right now, the house is full of stuff I have been previously not buying. It really IS a mind game. I bought it because of company and to have Snacks in the car for our cross country trip - ostensibly. Truth be known those things were only an excuse for me to have ready access to them.

I am so much happier when I am not all bloated from sugar and carbs! I feel so much better physically, plus when I avoid the addictive behavior, I feel good about myself emotionally. Going down a size in clothes is awesome too. I think I've figured out that I am a stress eater. I never seriously took responsibility for that until all the stress lately that has made me turn to food. I found myself thinking about finding something good to eat yesterday when we were having to talk to my MIL about putting her back into a nursing home. I was shocked to have the realization of how my "hunger" was so tied to that stressful situation.

Everytime I find myself thinking about my head hunger vs. real hunger, I think about Sharon Osborne and wonder if I should be getting psychological counseling.

Believe me, this forum helps a lot! Thanks for taking the time to respond and help me out of this slump!

I hope your slower eating is working well for you. It's been my experience with fills that the restriction isn't bad right after the fill, then it gets tighter for a while (couple of weeks or so) and then eases up again. I sure as heck don't want to stretch the pouch! I hope that isn't the reason I've had this experience with fills.

I totally relate to eating under stress. The first thing I want when I am under ANY kind of stress is chocolate. I know once we get that "sweet spot" everyone talks about, it's all head hunger after that. Like I said, the only way I can eat right is not keep anything in the house. I can tell myself all I want when I buy it that I will eat it sensibly, but then I just go crazy. For instance, the 100 calorie Snacks are a good idea in theory, but not when you eat three (or more) bags of them each time.

It's really hard to socialize too. It's almost like I don't want to go anywhere because there is too much temptation out there. I have some of those kinds of friends that love to bake and eat junk food but don't have a weight problem. NO FAIR!

Congratulations!

Well all you oldies but goodies out there - i did it! Yep ! I am banded!

I am doing very well. It is a lot to go under anesthesia, but wonderful that I am no longer hungery every minute and am welcoming new lifestyle changes. This isn't the easy way out, but the only way for me to change.

I am now on mushies, but going slowly. I wish everyone luck and good health.

Congratulations DynamoMini!!! Way to go. Sounds like you're well on your way to a more healthy lifestyle. Hope you're feeling fine and you get great results!

Congratulations DynamoMini! I had to be on liquids for 4 weeks before starting mushies. You're lucky!

Congratulations DynamoMini! I had to be on liquids for 4 weeks before starting mushies. You're lucky!

Yes, I had a month before I graduated to solids (how did you ever do liquids for 4 weeks? I thought 2 was bad) but ooooooohhhhhhhh, do those solids taste good after so many weeks of liquids + mushies! Yummmmm. (Can you tell it's my first 2 days of solids?). Have a good weekend, everyone.

Yes, I had a month before I graduated to solids (how did you ever do liquids for 4 weeks? I thought 2 was bad) but ooooooohhhhhhhh, do those solids taste good after so many weeks of liquids + mushies! Yummmmm. (Can you tell it's my first 2 days of solids?). Have a good weekend, everyone.

I am confused because it says you got banded 4-16. Did you end up getting your band sooner?

:straightDynamoMini has 4-16 as her band date. So I guess I replied to the wrong person. :phanvan

I am confused because it says you got banded 4-16. Did you end up getting your band sooner?

Hmmmm. Where does it say 4-16? I can't find it. I was banded March 19. Let me know so I can fix it. Thanks, Karen