Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is weight loss for people over 50?

March 5, 2007 Bandster age the big 60. female I have lost 67 lbs to date and just 3 weeks ago got my first fill. What is going on with you?

Good for you! What an awesome loss. I was banded March 19, 2007 and have lost just over 20 since banding. I've had three fills but have no restriction yet. I've been sticking to around 1,000 calories a day but today my friends took me out for my birthday and once I got started...well, you know. So today was 1,732 calories--my worst day since banding. I'll dust myself off and start over tomorrow. Keep up the great work!

BJean - thanks for the compliment. It's funny, I don't really see myself as attractive when I look in the mirror. One of my goals is to learn to love myself as my second husband Ira loved me. I learned about unconditional love from him and am grateful. I want to turn off the editor and feel the warmth and radiance I felt from him.

cmaiorano - you are a weight loss STAR! Congratulations! I am sure you must feel really proud of yourself. Great job losing!

Best wishes all,

Michelle

I just love reading this site about all of us over 50 and the progress we've all made. I was always told as a younger person that over 50 the weight was almost impossible to get off unless you were sick. I guess we've all proved them wrong. I am having a problem right now because my weight went up a pound by my scales this week and I hate it. I know it will go down again but it's discouraging. This is the only place I would admit it went up. Others would say the band wasn't the right choice.

I just love reading this site about us over 50s. I just amazes me how well we are all doing. I was always told that when you hit 50 it's almost impossible to loose weight unless you are sick. I guess we've proved them wrong. I do have to admit to you all, because I wouldn't tell anyone around here, that I gained a pound on my scales. It's depressing but also know it will leave too. I really need to dedicate myself to walking or any exercise but always put it off. Excuses all the time. All of you keep up the good work.

Hello there ---we all know why the scale goes up---its the person behind us stepping on it while we are trying to weigh ourselves!!!!! If you fall get back up. I truly think this diet thing with the band is all in our heads. I use to think about food all of the time---what to have for lunch dinner etc. I am a great cook and everyone still loves my kitchen except me. When they are all stuffing their faces it makes me ill----I have to think that I use to eat like that.!!! LOL

I am truly not able to eat much now ----I have a great hospital that made you train before the surgery and I think that is the trick--I was totaly ready for this mentaly. Each day was a baby step I went from size 30 on March 5th 2007 to size 20 and my shoes OH My Gosh from a 91/2 to size 8. I say bring it on!!!!! good luck!

To the over 50 club. We are the new 40 anyway.

My weight loss has been easy and rapid I guess I am really not sure. I know one thing when this is all finished I will do Tummy Tuck and boobs!

My arms well they are staring to get flubalubigus they swing with the motion ! Dear Lord please do not let me wave to any one while wearing a tank top. But hell you can have sleves. The worst for me is my stomach I was 297 lbs when I started on March 5th I am 230 lbs now I want to be 165/170 good weight for me have not seen that weight in 40 years ouch. I put a tred in the spare room and I am on it every chance I get-this is from one who would ride around wal-mart for 20 min. looking for the close spot and would glide on the cart instead of pushing it. It is all a mental outlook. But I have to tell all of you that I am not hungry, I only eat now for survival. I purchased a size 14 dress and that is the goal I am working on. I use to do dunkin dog. every morning with 2 cream dog. Just the thought of that makes me sugar high. I am an insulin diabetic that use to take 4 shots a day 35 units each time since the band I have not had a blood sugar over 95 I take 2 shots a day 6 units each soon I will be off the insulin.....how great all of this has been for me. Work hard, stay faithful to yourself it is all about the big you now.:biggrin1:

Hi Everyone! This is a big deal for me....I've been sneaking around this site for a while. Tonight, I weighed myself and see that I've gained 10 lbs. of the 30 I've lost since being banded in Dec. '06!!! (Emotional eating- no excuses!) I'm going to try and go back from the beginning of this thread to get help from all of you. I have had one fill but know I need another. AND, I need to stick to and follow the diet recommended by my doctor. So here I am. I hope that "opening up" will give me the kick in the pants needed! Thx for listening (or reading).

Listen get that lap band snug so that only particles can slip through. Here is a basic day for me. Protien shake am. mid morning ice coffee cafine free no sugar but my have xtra cream. lunch-yogurt 60 calorie Light and Lively with 2 tlbs. low sugar granola with dried fruit. 1 stick fat free cheese. dinner-chicken beef scallops (I do not eat fish) salad or streamed green veggie. No soda, no caffine, no sugars, no carbs. Instead of eating walk when things are bigger than you to handle put your I-Pod on and pund the side walk it is better then eating chips. Why have you only had 1 fill? It is almost a year your band is not funtioning the way it should with out the fills. START OVER AGAIN GO ON liquid DIES FOR 3 DAYS THEN START TO INTRODUCE THE RIGHT FOODS AGAIN. If you read my post I have lost well today it is 69 lbs. since 3/5/07. Get that strong will back and set little goals for yourself. I did when I reach 280 new coach bag. 250-new fendi sunglasses. For the first time in my life me the care giver is giving care to ME>

Do you get your Protein in in the form of powder because it doesn't look like you get much protein in with your meals? You are doing awesome and I thought I was doing good. Have you ever PBed or had any problems at all with things going down?

Listen get that lap band snug so that only particles can slip through. Here is a basic day for me. Protien shake am. mid morning ice coffee cafine free no sugar but my have xtra cream. lunch-yogurt 60 calorie Light and Lively with 2 tlbs. low sugar granola with dried fruit. 1 stick fat free cheese. dinner-chicken beef scallops (I do not eat fish) salad or streamed green veggie. No soda, no caffine, no sugars, no carbs. Instead of eating walk when things are bigger than you to handle put your I-Pod on and pund the side walk it is better then eating chips. Why have you only had 1 fill? It is almost a year your band is not funtioning the way it should with out the fills. START OVER AGAIN GO ON liquid DIES FOR 3 DAYS THEN START TO INTRODUCE THE RIGHT FOODS AGAIN. If you read my post I have lost well today it is 69 lbs. since 3/5/07. Get that strong will back and set little goals for yourself. I did when I reach 280 new coach bag. 250-new fendi sunglasses. For the first time in my life me the care giver is giving care to ME>

Do you get your Protein in in the form of powder because it doesn't look like you get much protein in with your meals? You are doing awesome and I thought I was doing good. Have you ever PBed or had any problems at all with things going down?

Thanks for writing. I do need to start over. I had lost many inches...but they've re-appeared. I'm NOT going to give up! I'll just start over. I have no restriction. I called to make an appt. for a fill. (Husband lost his job. Couldn't go back when I needed to.) BUT things are better now. Thank goodness. We had to move. Still unpacking boxes. Finally, there's time for me, again. I'm printing your advice.

(Just a side note: I'm 52 yrs. Lapgirl35 My lucky number is 35!) ;)

Lap Girl 35, I am glad you're going to get another fill. It has made all the difference in the world for me. I was really afraid to get another one because of the way food gets stuck. I finally learned to chew enough, etc, and lost 5 lbs immediately after my 3rd fill.

It's night time that's hard for me. I wish ice cream didn't go down like there is no band. I don't keep it in the house, but I am house sitting at my daughters and she had some in her freezer and low and behold I am up a lb this morning. ;)

THX Denise822, I'm trying not to punish myself...just get back on the horse!!! I've had food get "stuck" a few times. Boy, does it hurt. BUT, I need to get the fill if I want to succeed. And, stop eating the junk! I know what you mean about ice cream. Goes down too easily. I didn't buy any today, just fruit & veggies. (I'm proud of myself) The first 3 months I did well. The past 3 months, I haven't. I've been slipping back into my old habits. Today I feel stronger. How often do you all weigh yourselves?

Hi you all!! I was celebrating this morning when i weighed and hit the 40 pound loss!!! Just to notice that I had added wrong, and it was 38!! I will NOT complain about it though, just lose another 2 #'s!!! I was banded in the middle of April, and lost 38 pounds, and many many sizes!! Guys,... I am wearing a size 12-13!!! From a 2x or size 20!!! It is just great! I had a fill 3 weeks ago, and think maybe I need another, although lately some things I eat get stuck! I think I will wait a while for another fill, what to you all think? I have been getting hungrier more now.

There are some people that I had not seen in a while, that dont recognize me!! That is exciting to me!!!

It is getting harder now to lose the weight, but I keep chuging on. Doing a LOT of exercise!!! Good to hear from all of you!!