Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 days out....greek yogurt...did i goof? lol

so i have been doing great post sleeve so far, getting all my Protein, fluids, etc etc....

so ive been starving really for something more solid. i got sleeved last Thursday, and have been following guidelines and stuff. but i got some greek yogurt today, ate a few bites and man!

restriction?!

what is that new sensation?!

weird!

it doesnt quite hurt, but i know somehow NOT to eat any more....

feel fine, almost like i need a sip of something ( i hear that can be bad)

but im cool!

do you HAVE to wait until your doc clears you for the next step? or is it cool to try some mushies at this point?

just trying to get a idea of what others have done as far as diet is concerned...

-M

Dr. Aceves has his patients on clears for 10 days. It seems like a long time but developing a leak would be horrible.

Greek Yogurt is really thick. It hasn't even been a week so I would follow your doctors orders or call them and ask if you can advance your diet.

yeah, very true, i got sleeved on the 15th, so im about 9 days out today, but i dont see the doctor until the 29th...so bleh.

Generally, you should follow your doctor's guidelines. That said, docs have a wide variety of programs and sometimes it's hard to figure out why. Some are very slow moving you from Clear liquids to thicker liquids to mushes to soft Proteins to more solids while others (like mine) start you on mushes and soft Proteins in the hospital and never do a liquid only phase. Go figure. It seems to me that the docs with the extensive liquids programs are drawing from their RNY experience which may be overly conservative for the sleeve, which may be relatively new to them. My doc's practice has been doing sleeves, as part of the DS and stand alone, for around twenty years, so I figure they have a good handle on the care and feeding of the sleeve.

I was having no problem with yogurts and puddings during the first week, though I was being conservative on amounts, experimenting with tolerances. There can be a wide variation in what we can tolerate when - my wife, who had a DS a few years ago, could barely drink her nominal stomach capacity in a sitting, which made Protein drinks particularyl nasty as they had to be so concentrated for her to get any usable amount of Protein in, while liquids were flowing right through me from the hospital on out. My program has the general admonition of trying new things one at a time to judge your tolerance for them and if they don't feel right, try again in a couple of weeks.

Again, despite the wide program variations out there, I would follow your doc's guidelines as closely as you can. It is certainly worth talking to them about it to see if you can quicken the progression some as you are well tolerating things - my doc was having me add veg to the diet at the 10 day follow up since I was getting in more than the requisite protein; they should have some flexibility built into their program to accommodate the variations in patient responses, but their experience level may not be ready to provide that variety yet, and if you have any problems down the line it will be assumed it was because you were "non compliant" rather than anything that they did.

Good luck and be patient - I got sick of protein Jello and Soups fairly quickly, too, and have little interest in going back (though the yogurts and hi-pro puddings are still with me.)

Generally, you should follow your doctor's guidelines. That said, docs have a wide variety of programs and sometimes it's hard to figure out why. Some are very slow moving you from Clear Liquids to thicker liquids to mushes to soft Proteins to more solids while others (like mine) start you on mushes and soft Proteins in the hospital and never do a liquid only phase. Go figure. It seems to me that the docs with the extensive liquids programs are drawing from their RNY experience which may be overly conservative for the sleeve, which may be relatively new to them. My doc's practice has been doing sleeves, as part of the DS and stand alone, for around twenty years, so I figure they have a good handle on the care and feeding of the sleeve.

I was having no problem with yogurts and puddings during the first week, though I was being conservative on amounts, experimenting with tolerances. There can be a wide variation in what we can tolerate when - my wife, who had a DS a few years ago, could barely drink her nominal stomach capacity in a sitting, which made Protein drinks particularyl nasty as they had to be so concentrated for her to get any usable amount of Protein in, while liquids were flowing right through me from the hospital on out. My program has the general admonition of trying new things one at a time to judge your tolerance for them and if they don't feel right, try again in a couple of weeks.

Again, despite the wide program variations out there, I would follow your doc's guidelines as closely as you can. It is certainly worth talking to them about it to see if you can quicken the progression some as you are well tolerating things - my doc was having me add veg to the diet at the 10 day follow up since I was getting in more than the requisite protein; they should have some flexibility built into their program to accommodate the variations in patient responses, but their experience level may not be ready to provide that variety yet, and if you have any problems down the line it will be assumed it was because you were "non compliant" rather than anything that they did.

Good luck and be patient - I got sick of protein Jello and Soups fairly quickly, too, and have little interest in going back (though the yogurts and hi-pro puddings are still with me.)

Thanks for the well written reply. I ended up doing fine with it last night, it was just a really solid "full" feeling, that was new to me. i almost feel i err'd in posting the event as it really has just spurred me to call my docs office Monday and ask if i can move on to purees/soft foods as it will be the 12th and final day of the full liquid portion, the fact that i am just slamming my protein with no issues, and am not having any other complications. i feel really well, just can tell my body pushing me for more to eat. (even tho im getting 100-120 grams of protein a day..alot but im also 6'3) im also losing about a pound a day, so i know im not getting too many calories in.

again thanks for the reply.

-Mike

don't know how you guys do it but im 2 weeks post op and bought some nonfat greek yogurt and spit the first bite out since it was terrible...!!!

take a half cup of the yougurt, add splenda and strawberry (or any flavor) extract, mix and it tastes great!

take a half cup of the yougurt, add splenda and strawberry (or any flavor) extract, mix and it tastes great!

that would be an option if i was allowed but my surgeon said no added items to the greek yogurt...still don't see how it would bypass that nasty taste though :P

The Activia Greek isn't as bad, it isn't as thick and tastes much better. Try that!!!

that would be an option if i was allowed but my surgeon said no added items to the greek yogurt...still don't see how it would bypass that nasty taste though :P