Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does your sleeve get tighter or looser depending on what you eat?

I just watched a youtube video of a lady who said that she didn't eat very much over the weekend and as a result of that her sleeve tightened up so much that she could barely eat or drink anything at all for a few days until it loosened back up. Anyone ever heard of this? I have found that there are times when I feel like my sleeve is tight and other times where I feel that I can eat a lot.

The only time I experience this is when I'm stressed or emotionally upset. This happened pre-op with my huge stomach so I wasn't surprised when this happened post-VSG.

It is my body's reaction to stress. My husband and I can have a "tizzy" of an argument, and BAM my stomach shuts down. The next day it's fine.

Well, and then there's the allergy/sinus attacks. This actually happens only because of nasty sinus drainage filling up and irritating my stomach.

I have read on here when people do the 5 day pouch test, the sleeve gets a little more restrictive by day 3 when they reintroduce solids, and then by day 5 their restriction is normal.

I remember with the band when humidity hit an all time, my restriction would change. I'm not sure if it was the band tightening, or if it was stomach tissue reaction. Other bandsters experience it as well, and some experience it in higher altitudes. Again, I'm not sure if it's really the band tightening mysteriously or if it's a reaction of the stomach tissue.

I just have days where I feel like I can eat more than other days. On Monday I ate ALOT and for the past couple, I have not been able to eat much.

Kelly :)

I do have days where I can hardly eat much at all and other days I feel like I can eat too much. It's weird.

I have no idea what causes that. Dr. Campos ( Dr Achieves assistant) told me my sleeve has stretched all that it's going to when he did my upper GI in May . I know it's way different when I eat solid Protein than if I eat something mushy like yogurt.

I am three weeks out from surgery and if I eat anything with form I will throw it up. Soft and mushy foods won't stay down if I eat more than a 1/2 a cup. Is that normal?

That sounds about right to me.

I am three weeks out from surgery and if I eat anything with form I will throw it up. Soft and mushy foods won't stay down if I eat more than a 1/2 a cup. Is that normal?

I can't believe you're able to get that much food down this early. But, no it's not normal to throw up. If 1/2 cup is coming back up, stop eating that much. You're stressing the healing staple line by puking. Cut back to 2-3oz, eat slower and see how you feel.

Like Tiffykins said the post above, you need to not eat that much. YOu shouldn't get to the point where you throw up. I am 6 months out and still cannot eat 1/2 cup of food.

I have also just found that stress causes restriction for me. I am extremely stressed right now and just completely worn down. As a result I can hardly eat anything. This morning I ate about 1/2 a string cheese, normally I could eat the whole thing. For lunch I had two tortilla chips and a tablespoon of shredded chicken and I was stuffed. Not normal for me at all, but not surprised with the stress I am dealing with.

Dear sasicas, I have dipped into your story and older posts and videos. I want to tell you that your story has moved me very much. The suffering that you have had, and continue to experience makes me sad and a little angry that you have been so little served by both the medical community and even the more experienced members of this board. If I can help in any way please just ask. Your uncomplaining, persevering nature is, to me, heroic. I truly hope that these difficulties resolve quickly and completely. You and your children are in my prayers and thoughts.

I have also just found that stress causes restriction for me. I am extremely stressed right now and just completely worn down. As a result I can hardly eat anything. This morning I ate about 1/2 a string cheese, normally I could eat the whole thing. For lunch I had two tortilla chips and a tablespoon of shredded chicken and I was stuffed. Not normal for me at all, but not surprised with the stress I am dealing with.

Dear sasicas, I have dipped into your story and older posts and videos. I want to tell you that your story has moved me very much. The suffering that you have had, and continue to experience makes me sad and a little angry that you have been so little served by both the medical community and even the more experienced members of this board. If I can help in any way please just ask. Your uncomplaining, persevering nature is, to me, heroic. I truly hope that these difficulties resolve quickly and completely. You and your children are in my prayers and thoughts.

Well thank you. We never turn down prayer :) I am glad I have had this site and gotten support here. The doctors aren't quite sure why I had the issues I have had but I am more than thankful that it was not worse. Compared to some my complications were hardly anything. I know two ladies currently in the local group that has been in the hospital for months since having the duodenal switch, I can't even imagine what their families are going through.