Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved 2 days ago, just got home and.....

I am in so much pain. My stomach hurts. Like i can feel the gas rumbling around and it will not come out. The nurses were encouraging me to walk around but everytime i get some meds i'm knocked out for like 3-4 hours and the cycle continues. How much longer will my stomach be sore for? I am 3 days postop and thought the pain would start lessening by now.

I imagine everyone is different, but for me it was around 6 days post op where everything turned around. I am now 2 weeks post op and feel great. I still have to bend slowly and get in and out of bed or from sitting slowly, but I can eat and drink comfortably and sleep and sit comfortably. I have little rumbling, maybe just a bit right after I eat, but all digestive systems seem to be working normally now. Hang in there. It goes by fast.

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble. Are you taking a PPI? If not try asking your dr. if you can. I had a lot of burning and rumbling the 1st couple of weeks and after starting Prilosec it got better. Maybe it was partly that I was just healing but now whenever I miss a dose of Prilosec I get some of the burning rumbling feeling back. So it couldn't hurt to try. The first couple of weeks were hard for me but just know that it does get better. Good luck.

I had to quit the meds, it's a vicious cycle you can't get fluids in or walk if you are asleep which means it will take longer to feel better!! I am taking chewable junior tylenol - completely worth it if they will let you do it and avoid the liquid nasty tylenol. I am 10 days out and the walking is the only thing that got rid of my gas.

UGGGH!! THe gas pains for me were the worst too!! I had gas so bad under my ribs, I could not take a deep breath. AND, I am sorry to tell you but nothing helps but time.

I think it was like day 4 when mine broke loose. I started tootin' and tootin' and then I got the squirts. I was so happy to have them. But, be careful tootin, cuz you might just poop your pants. I did....3 times!! LOL, TMI!!

Hope you feel better soon, cuz that gas is NO JOKE!!

Kelly :(

OK...Thanks so much for the words of wisdom. By the way what is a PPI?

I am trying to lay off the meds some, but they are so helpful when dealing with the pain.

I will go walking this evening maybe to the mailbox and see how it goes from there.

PPI=proton pump inhibitor. It's a medication to reduce acid in the stomach (and reduce reflux). Prevacid, Prilosec (generic is omeprazole), Nexium, Protonix are the main brands. Some are OTC and others you can get prescribed.

Im 3 days post op and these gases are terrible. I drank some chicken broth and that seem to help a bit. My doctor only reccomended walking, but that didnt seem to work much. I can wait for this uncomfortable feeling to go away.

The 3rd day after surgery, I had to fly across the continent. I took a lot of Gas-X strips, and they helped a bit with the pressure. Like others said, walking helps too.

If you can, try lying on your left side too. I did that, and it really helped with the pressure. I also tried lying on my stomach (I guess I'm a freak for being able to do that after surgery) with my butt in the air, and it was easier to pass gas.

The gas pressure was almost gone by the 4th day after surgery for me. Completely gone by the 5th day.