Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is the 1st month so hard?

Hi Everyone,

Why to first month is so difficult. You are about to change everything you know about eating and your body. Your brain for all of you life has been used to you eating almost anything you wanted and large amounts of food. I never stopped and gave this much thought, when I wanted to have WLS. All I was thinking was about getting the fat off my body and feeling healthy again. I spent a lot of year being fat and this was my chance to change the roller coaster of losing the weight and regaining it again. dry.gif

So for me I had to spend the first 10 days having nothing but Clear liquids. I could only have about a ¼ of a cup of anything when it was time to eat. I felt pretty good, but this first 10 days were the worst. There are only some many Clear Liquids. I had various kinds of broth—chicken was my favorite. I had Jello, white grape juice, apple juice, Water with Crystal Light, Decaf tea—Earl Gray and my life saver was sugar free all natural fruit popsicles. If my stomach felt quizy this really seemed to clam it. I had problems finding a Protein Drink that was clear that I liked. I since have found some. They are made by Syntrax and they are called Nectar—all kinds of flavors that can be mixed with Water. It is very important that you try to get some Protein the first 10 days. These first 10 days are difficult because my brain is screaming at me “I am hungry.” We call these head games because your brain is trying to control you. Your brain can play some mean and ugly games with your mind and what you are thinking. You are NOT hungry; you are getting what you need for these 1st 10 days. You NEED to give your new stomach time to heal and that is why you need to follow exactly what they tell you to eat. :P

The next 10 days is so much better. 10 days of nothing but creamy foods. I thought I was in heaven when I got to this stage. I could have my favorite Protein Drink. I love Premier Protein Drink—I get mine at costco. I have since found 2 other Protein drinks made by Syntrax that I also love—Mint Cookie and banana Cream. I could have cottage cheese, sugar pudding, yogurt, and creamy Soups. Some Creamy style Peanut Butter. I still could also have any of the clear liquids I was having before. Remember you are only going to be able to eat about 2 oz. of anything when you eat. Your new stomach can now only hold food about the size of your thumb. :o

The next 10 days are getting a little better. It is 10 days of mushy food. I found this stage a little harder, but I became a little creative. I took some home made chicken Soup and put it in the blender, veggies worked great to make mushy, sweet potato was great instead of a regular potato. I also had applesauce at this point too. I tried to watch my carbs too—no more than 20 carbs per day. I always made sure I had my Protein Drinks at least 2 per day. I was told to have at least 70 grams of protein per day. Premier Protein had 30 grams per drink box.:)

Another challenge I had was drinking enough water and getting the Protein drinks down too. It felt like I was always sipping and drinking something. This is just what you have to do. Eating is like having a job and you have to do the best you can to get everything inside your body that you need.:D

I had problems swallowing my medication during this time. I learned to smash the meds up into a power with a mortar and then mixed the powered medication with applesauce and that is how I took my meds. You may have problems with Constipation too. I use 1 cap full of Miralax everyday in the morning. I put 1 cap full in with my Protein Drink and mix it in my Magic Bullet. I still use Miralax all the time. It is not habit forming and helps because we eat a lot of protein and that causes the constipation.:o

Remember there is a reason you need to follow the diet that your doctor has given you. Different doctors have different things they may want you to be eating. These were what my doctor had me do. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me.:D

Suzanne

Sleeved 10/28/2008

Lost 105 lbs.

Thanks for posting. I was sleeved last Friday (8/12), and I'm having the hardest time getting my liquids/protein. It feels like a chore. I don't really feel hungry, though. I just get cravings that come and go pretty quickly.

I'm kind of scared of the next stages (full liquids and then mushies), because I don't know if I'll be able to keep it down or even get it down.

At least the physical pain and nausea is mostly gone by now. I look forward to things getting better. Your post really comforted me :)

Thanks for posting. I was sleeved last Friday (8/12), and I'm having the hardest time getting my liquids/protein. It feels like a chore. I don't really feel hungry, though. I just get cravings that come and go pretty quickly.

I'm kind of scared of the next stages (full liquids and then mushies), because I don't know if I'll be able to keep it down or even get it down.

At least the physical pain and nausea is mostly gone by now. I look forward to things getting better. Your post really comforted me :)

Hi and thanks. That is just why I wrote it. Sometimes we just need to hear that others have had the very same issues and problems that we are dealing with. It does get better. The big thing is to remember when it comes time to chewing that you chew and chew and chew before you try to swallow it. Each step and each day gets better. It does take time. You will NEVER inhale food like you used to. It take time to eat because of the chewing, and sometimes you just get tired of chewing and push your plate away. LOL

Hang in there and I am always on here posting, if you have any question please feel free to ask me.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

Do you regret doing the surgery? can you eat anything now you want but just in smaller portions? do you still have to focus on chewing? I am BMI 41, 42 yo with 2 young kids and scared to death to do this. I have only been overweight for the past 10 years- it comes on and off...ughhh. husband is not supportive. have completed everything and now waiting on write ups so I can submit to insurance and hopefully not have to wait 6 months. I am concerned that there are no long-term studies..do you know people who are 3+ years post- op? have you heard of people failing?

Sorry for all the questions, just don't know anyone to talk to.

Thanks, Beth

Hi and thanks. That is just why I wrote it. Sometimes we just need to hear that others have had the very same issues and problems that we are dealing with. It does get better. The big thing is to remember when it comes time to chewing that you chew and chew and chew before you try to swallow it. Each step and each day gets better. It does take time. You will NEVER inhale food like you used to. It take time to eat because of the chewing, and sometimes you just get tired of chewing and push your plate away. LOL

Hang in there and I am always on here posting, if you have any question please feel free to ask me.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Hi!

I'm so happy you posted! I have had a heck of a time swallowing pills and it has had me stumped! I am about a month out now and had to be in the hospital over the weekend (I got an intestinal bug) and a pill they gave me floated around in my throat for 9 hours! When were you able to swallow pills again....I'm scared to try any time soon! Thanks again,

Tracy w

Hi Suzanne,

Do you regret doing the surgery? can you eat anything now you want but just in smaller portions? do you still have to focus on chewing? I am BMI 41, 42 yo with 2 young kids and scared to death to do this. I have only been overweight for the past 10 years- it comes on and off...ughhh. husband is not supportive. have completed everything and now waiting on write ups so I can submit to insurance and hopefully not have to wait 6 months. I am concerned that there are no long-term studies..do you know people who are 3+ years post- op? have you heard of people failing?

Sorry for all the questions, just don't know anyone to talk to.

Thanks, Beth

Hi Beth,

I have never had any regrets. This is NOT a magical cure and the fat does NOT just melt off. It means that you have to make good food choice and start some kind of exercise--for me it is walking. I am almost 3 years out and can gain if I eat nothing but junk food. So as I said you need to make good food choice. Do I feel deprived NEVER. I can have small amount of treats or deserts--just not a lot and not all the time. You really need to have your head in the right place for this to work for you. It is a tool and it gives you a restriction. If I went on the milk chocolate diet sure I would fail. I love the "new" me so much that this never going to happen for me.

Chewing--You will never be able to inhale food and eat fast like you do now. You will never guzzel a bottle of Water after having the WLS either--to me those are easy things to give up. You will have less chewing as time goes one. But,you will have developed some new habits which means taking smaller tiny bites and chewing. Right now you hardly taste your food because you put a large amount in your mouth and maybe chew it 4 or 5 times at the most --while talking and then swallow it. So try this take a bite of food and chew it at least 20 times before you swallow it. They recommend when you first start out that your chew your food in your mouth 20 to 30 times before you swallow. I have learned to actually set my fork down when I am chewing. I would say that 99% of the people that I know that are 3 years and more out after having WLS have maintained there weight loss. I may go up or down 4 or 5 pounds, but I know how to get that off. Remember I said I never feel deprived. I try not to eat a lot of carbs, something I used to do. I work on getting about 70 grams of Protein a day, veggies and I try to have fresh ones, and maybe a little fresh fruit.

I am always here for any question you have. I think it is a great idea to ask all these questions. I must have asked 100's of questions before I had this surgery. This is how you educate yourself. I am here for you all the way. I am sorry your husband is NOT supportive, that is sad. I am sure he sees it as just one more failure and you won't be successful at this either. That is so unfair and NOT true at all. I want you to tell yourself this. This is NOT about anyone but YOU. You need to do this for YOU and your health. Don't let anyone influence you, trust your own judgment. PS where do you live in the Bay Area? I have lived in Concord, and Walnut Creek at one time.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Hi!

I'm so happy you posted! I have had a heck of a time swallowing pills and it has had me stumped! I am about a month out now and had to be in the hospital over the weekend (I got an intestinal bug) and a pill they gave me floated around in my throat for 9 hours! When were you able to swallow pills again....I'm scared to try any time soon! Thanks again,

Tracy w

Hi Tracy,

Well, I am glad that it was helpful to you.:D As time goes on the swallowing does get a lot better. I think it took me about 6 months before the pills went down easy. I do the chew-able Calcium. I also did a liquid Vitamin for awhile and I got those at costco.

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me. I asked a lot of questions myself and that is how I learned a lot of things.

Hugs,

Suzanne

is it gas is that why u have to chew so much? and dose it it all gross in your mouth with a bunch of saliva cuz i did it before surgery 6 days out

Did you have a saliva after you eat? If I a little, I'm ok, but if I eat too much , I produce a lot of saliva. Then I have to throw up. I feel better after that. The saliva upsets my stomach.

I am only two weeks out. Does this stop later on?

is it gas is that why u have to chew so much? and dose it it all gross in your mouth with a bunch of saliva cuz i did it before surgery 6 days out

Hi,

The reason you chew so much is to turn the food into a liquid so when you swallow it, it goes down a lot easier and is a lot easier to digest. It has NOTHING to do with gas. No it doesn't get gross in your mouth. Your new stomach needs the best possible chance to heal and this helps when you are started to eat regular food. It is to your benefit to slow down and eat and chew a lot. Taking small bites also helps a lot.

As far as what you are eating, different doctors have different views. This is just what my doctor had me do. I wish you great success in your weight loss journey.

Hugs,

Suzanne

I have a question. I am about 5 weeks out and I feel like hell. I am trying to go back to work. Every morning I am light headed and sick. I eat . I even try Protein Shakes that I will throw up. I keep having to get my blood pressure medicine lowered. The actual point of the surgery. However, every time it changes I have problems again. My thyroid meds had to be changed because I am now getting to much. Did anyone else ever feel like this and will this get better? I have lost 30 lbs since my surgery 7/13/11. I just had my blood work drawn again today. I am a little frustrated.

Did you have a saliva after you eat? If I a little, I'm ok, but if I eat too much , I produce a lot of saliva. Then I have to throw up. I feel better after that. The saliva upsets my stomach.

I am only two weeks out. Does this stop later on?

Hi,

This is called phlegming or sliming --it is caused because you do NOT chew your foods enough and then the the food gets stuck and it comes back up. It is NOT a vomit but as you said it is a saliva. Take smaller bites and chew and chew, and chew. I know it is a pain in the neck, but at first it is a fact of life after having WLS. You will NEVER be able to shovel food in like you used too. You will always have to take smaller bites and chew more than you ever did before but not as much as you need to chew at first.

This is part of that relearning and breaking some life long habits of how we ate and how little we chewed our food.

Hugs,

Suzanne