Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No more Lap Bands in my future :(

Had my visit with Dr. Billy yesterday. By the way I have gained 30 lbs since I was disbanded in Dec 2005. UGH!! OY VEY!! I now weigh 270.

Anyway, we discussed my options both surgical and non-surgical.

He said he would be afraid to attempt another band in me for several reasons. Mainly due to previous scaring from the first band and if this one erodes too that limits my options to other surgeries.

He wouldn't suggest the Duodenal Switch for me since I don't need to lose that much weight. And I don't like the malabsorption with that surgery either.

He said I am one of FEW patients he would even consider doing the Gastric Sleeve on.

For the most part he thinks I should research and discuss the Bypass with my family. He wasn't pushing any ONE surgery he was giving me all the options and the drawbacks to each surgery. I asked him to give me his opinion as to which one I would benefit most from. He suggest the Bypass then. He also gave me a 6 page list of patients both bypass and lapband that are willing to talk to potential patients. So I am going to start emailing some of the bypass people and get some input from them.

He seems very confident that I would benefit more from the bypass as opposed to the sleeve. So I have some research and decisions to make. I go back to see him in 6 weeks. I might not have a decision made then either. I gotta think about this some more.

I just know that I can't continue like I am. I am only 28 lbs away from where I started just before being banded. THAT SUCKS!!!

Penni,

I am so sorry that you going through the frustrations of life without the band and gaining weight back. My neighbor was over 300 lbs. and she wasn't fond of the gastric bypass surgery because of the amount of intestines that they remove. However, she researched for a year and found a doctor here in Vegas that performs "mini" bypass surgeries. His name is Dr. Rutledge and from what I've read and heard, there's far LESS risk involved, less recovery time and it's reversible.

Here is his web site if you want to investigate further. By the way, my neighbor doesn't get any dumping or the bad side effects of the regular gastric bypass surgery and she eats anything she wants. She looks amazing. She probably weighs 155 right now (if even that). I often wish I would have spoken to her before I got my band. I know I would be more successful on losing weight than I am with this band and having Dr. Teng.

Here's the website: http://clos.net/

Good luck and best wishes,

Tricia H

A BIG ((hug)) to start with.

Ive been wondering about you and this appointment. Thanks for giving us an update.

2 Questions: (maybe 3)

1. Did you discuss your fears of the RnY with him? ...and what did he say?

2. Why did he think you would benefit more with the RnY then the sleeve (Im asking all of this for personal reasons - plus Im nosey. But you know this already)

I see myself in you in SOOO many ways. So if Im ever de-banded, Im glad to know Ive got footprints to follow.

Know what Sis? You are going to make the right decision - regardless on what you decide. Im gonna put you on the prayer list.

gee, Penni, i was so sorry to read about your difficulties. I hope that you and your doc find a solution that works this time! Stay strong!

paula You are a dear sweet lady. I love ya bunches.

A BIG ((hug)) to start with.

Ive been wondering about you and this appointment. Thanks for giving us an update.

2 Questions: (maybe 3)

1. Did you discuss your fears of the RnY with him? ...and what did he say?

My biggest issue wiht RNY is the malabsorption but he said it was minimal compared to the DS surgery (which I don't want anyway and he didn't recommend.). He seems to think the RnY will be beneficial to me in the long run as opposed to the DS or the sleeve.

2. Why did he think you would benefit more with the RnY then the sleeve (Im asking all of this for personal reasons - plus Im nosey. But you know this already)

His impression of the sleeve is "Why do half a surgery. Why not just finish the surgery and do a bypass instead of just cutting half the stomach out." He thinks it is too new a procedure to warrant the findings so far. It hasn't been out there long enough to determine whether it would be beneficial long term. I was thinking about the sleever since I would only lose half my stomach and have NO re-routing of the intestines. He mentioned that it might work for me but his opinion is that the bypass is only 15 more minutes in surgery to complete and has greater outcome. I trust Dr. Billy completely and I value his opinions. He even suggested how I could possibly get my insurance to cover either or both surgeries. I have to make some phone calls first though to see if I can get them to cover it. If they won't cover any of the surgeries then it won't matter what I decide. I will just have to do it on my own or live fat. LOL!!!

I see myself in you in SOOO many ways. So if Im ever de-banded, Im glad to know Ive got footprints to follow.

Know what Sis? You are going to make the right decision - regardless on what you decide. Im gonna put you on the prayer list.

I can use all the prayers out there to help me make the right decision. Even if that is NOT surgery. I just need to think all this through and come to some kind of conclusion.

Penni I just want you to know that you have always been a great asset to everyone on LBT and also in my life!!! You deserve to be happy and I hope you will be able to make the desicion that will help you the most...if its RNY so be it...do what feels right to you!! Good luck and let us know what you decide... in the meantime I'm praying that you will have guidance as of what to do!! ((((HUGS))))

Bless you heart....you do have a HUGE decision facing you pending insurance of course. I'm sure you have already been doing research on your options and I think it is awesome that you doc gave you a list of people to contact.....how wonderful!! Shows he is an excellent doc with confidence in his work. I'm sure there are some docs out there that wouldn't want you to talk to their patients. You will be in my prayers!!

Penni Ive been thinking about you lately. I know you will look at every issue involved. I'm reminded of Sue and how she said the band didn't work for her so she went with plan B, well she may have issues but she is loosing.

I'm glad you trust Dr. Billy I do too, he's got an excelent reputation!

I can use all the prayers out there to help me make the right decision. Even if that is NOT surgery. I just need to think all this through and come to some kind of conclusion.
You've got my prayers!

I feel for you Penny... if I end up having my band removed I will seriously consider the bypass but I guess I just can't imagine going through it. I still have a very clear picture of my sister's recovery in my mind and I think I'm to much of a weenie to go through it...lol. You are really lucky to have such great line of communication with a surgeon and although the ultimate decision would be yours... it sounds like he gives sound advice and really cares. Wishing you the best as you mull all of this over and eventually come to a decision that is right for you!

Oh, Penni. I'm so sorry.

This sucks.

I know how it sucks because I've been there - the only difference is that back when I had all my complications, they were too afraid to take my band out because they didn't think I'd survive the surgery. :phanvan

So you're in a great position - you're healthy enough to consider ALL your options now and you can take time to make the right choice for you.

And years later when my doc told me I'd lost all the weight I could with the band (he was wrong, mind you!) I wrestled mightily here and offline about my next step.

I decided that if the band had to go (and hey, one day, it still might), I would be revised to a RnY. No I didn't want one, no I didn't hope for one, but it's a proven effective (albeit more severe) procedure and although I didn't want a more serious surgery, I didn't want to be obese anymore. What scares me now is that if I have to get the band removed now, I won't qualify for RnY. If this has to be done - do it now, Perri. Please, do yourself a favour. I feel it so strongly: The RnY will be best for you.

Deciding to have any bariatric surgery is tiring, getting it is tiring, recovering and living with it is a big deal. When you add complications to that - it just gets overwhelming. But if they removed the band, and got you better that's a great start. So you're no longer sick:sick - that's a relief. But the other half of the puzzle remains: in other words, your weight is no where near where you want it to be. So that means we still have work to do, right? Why fight on your own. Get surgical help!

And as for surgeries: I really do see Dr Billy's point about The Sleeve. At that point, you're only a few more snips away from a RnY. And you will absolutely, positively do well with a RnY.

From what I know about you, the DS just doesn't sound like a good match. It's still a great procedure for the right patients, but I just wouldn't think you'd thrive as well.

You'll be like a RnY Superstar. Think of yourself as a WLS Superstar Champ! :) And at 270#, even for us tall gals, you could probably lose safely with the RnY long before your body rebels. And statistics prove that revision surgery patients generally lose a bit less with the newer surgery (the body isn't 'scared straight' into losing like it is with the first surgery) so you'll be in a great position.

You've been through enough. An RnY is no walk in the park but after all the work and effort you've put through, and the surgeries you've endured - let this third WLS be the charm. I know it's a huge decision and I wish you luck.

But I'm rooting for you and the RnY. Just don't make us too jealous with your weekly updates about how much & how fast you've lost, Missie! :)

Keeping you in our thoughts.

((( HUGS! )))

Happy Band (And Life, And RnY) Journeys To All...

I feel so bad for you. I have been reading on Obesityhelp.com about the other WLS and know the frustration you must feel. They all look so weird.

If I had to choose, I would do the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy . Simply because it just removes the stomach and does not reroute anything else. This line also interested me: "Patients interested in Gastric Banding may also want to consider this procedure, since it avoids the foreign body issue of a Band." http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/about.html

I wish you peace in whatever decision you make.

I guess I don't understand "RNY is the malabsorption but he said it was minimal compared to the DS surgery "

Jack, the RnY leaves about a 1-2 ounce stomach...a shotglass, more or less. RnY depends on SOME malabsorption even though with that tiny stomach it is a primarily restrictive procedure. The DS leaves a 4-6 ounce stomach, so it depends on SOME restriction, but is a primarily malabsorbtive procedure. (Both of those stomachs stretch over time, leaving the RnY person more dependant upon the good habits s/he will have formed during the first 18 months or so. The DS person will have lifelong malabsorption--and all the related plusses and minuses...she says as she swallows Calcium tablet #2 of the FOUR she should have taken today.)

All of you are so sweet and supportive. When I got home yesterday I contemplated resigning as Moderator and leaving LBT since it no longer applies to what I might be facing. I was all set to look for a RNY or DS or Sleeve talk board.

Then I come back here and see all the love and support here and I can't leave you guys. LOL!! What was I thinking? LOL!!!

Sue you just crack me up. Thanks bunches

NewSho I love all your comments and if I decide on the RnY then you are damn right I will come back here and post my weight loss. DUH!!! LOL!!

Darcy, love ya girl.

Poodles thanks for the info.

Vera what can I say you are my heart. Love ya

3loves you are so sweet

Jack, I have been lurking around. It is nice to be missed. LOL!! ARGH!!

Marimaru all support and hugs are appreciated.

Jammin & losin I am so proud of your 100 lb loss. WOW!! So where are the updated pics?

To anyone else I missed know that I love you all and you mean the world to me and I do value everyone's opinion.