Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possible proof of very long term success

Someone brought up this question in another thread, and It made me want to share my Mom's story.

She had stomach/ esophagus cancer 19 years ago. They basically removed a small part of her esophagus and 70% of her stomach. She went from 195lbs to 105lbs. She has not been over 108lbs since. (she happened to be a yo-yo dieter too) She says sometimes she struggles swallowing bread. NO cancer since. This procedure she had to remove the cancer is much like the procedure we all are having. And this weight loss has lasted 19 years. And she is healthy to this day.

So happy the surgery saved her life and also helped he lose the extra weight. 19 years is a nice statistic to hear for us newly sleeved (still in the honeymoon stage). Thank you for the information.

Yep, there are 1000s upon 1000s of stories very similar to your mom's story. It's one of the biggest factors I considered when I chose VSG.

Many congrats to your mom on her continued health ! ! !

thanks for posting....i have heard so many stories where people fail, it is nice to know that people make it even 19 years later!

Yes, thanks for posting this. It is always good to hear success stories like this. The more, the better! Glad she is cancer free and has been able to keep the weight off.smile.gif

Thanks for posting your mom's story! What a blessing to have your mom healthy. My mom is fighting throat cancer.

Someone brought up this question in another thread, and It made me want to share my Mom's story.

She had stomach/ esophagus cancer 19 years ago. They basically removed a small part of her esophagus and 70% of her stomach. She went from 195lbs to 105lbs. She has not been over 108lbs since. (she happened to be a yo-yo dieter too) She says sometimes she struggles swallowing bread. NO cancer since. This procedure she had to remove the cancer is much like the procedure we all are having. And this weight loss has lasted 19 years. And she is healthy to this day.

That is so good to hear :rolleyes:

How very great that her cancer never returned! I'm so happy. . my stepdad too had stomach ulcers and they removed a large portion of his stomach. . . he remained a skinny minnie for the rest of his life as well. . . he started gaining weight when he became imobile and needed a wheel chair though. . . so that was good.

My grandmother had about 70% of stomach removed (cancer) and lived another 50 years beyond that. I really don't remember her having any real issues with eating. That has been the one reassurance that sticks with me as I inch closer toward having the procedure done.

Great news about your mom!! CONGRATS!!

My neighbor has had about 70% of her stomach removed because of cancer about 10 years ago and she is a TINY TINY woman. She eats like a bird and never gets fat!!

I never even thought about this being kinda the same thing for us (minus the cancer)!! But, I guess it is!

Kelly :)

I have a friend who was in a major car accident over 20 years ago... she ended up having a large part of her stomach removed, and lost a bunch of weight. She kept it off until she became more sedentary from illness (she is in a wheelchair from the accident) and married a gourmet chef! She was never coached on how to manage her new sleeve, in fact they never told her anything about what was done until years later....When she eats Protein first, she can still lose weight.....when she eats lots of Cookies and such, it comes right back on.

Glad to hear to hear your mom is doing well. That is the same example my gi doctor gave me on why to have surgery. How has your progress been? I am still struggling with if this is right for me.

Someone brought up this question in another thread' date=' and It made me want to share my Mom's story.

She had stomach/ esophagus cancer 19 years ago. They basically removed a small part of her esophagus and 70% of her stomach. She went from 195lbs to 105lbs. She has not been over 108lbs since. (she happened to be a yo-yo dieter too) She says sometimes she struggles swallowing bread. NO cancer since. This procedure she had to remove the cancer is much like the procedure we all are having. And this weight loss has lasted 19 years. And she is healthy to this day.[/quote']

Someone brought up this question in another thread' date=' and It made me want to share my Mom's story.

She had stomach/ esophagus cancer 19 years ago. They basically removed a small part of her esophagus and 70% of her stomach. She went from 195lbs to 105lbs. She has not been over 108lbs since. (she happened to be a yo-yo dieter too) She says sometimes she struggles swallowing bread. NO cancer since. This procedure she had to remove the cancer is much like the procedure we all are having. And this weight loss has lasted 19 years. And she is healthy to this day.[/quote']