Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Over A Month Out and Just Feeling Like I Don't EAT ANYTHING!

I am barely getting in 300 calories with all the diet stuff they have you drinking and food just sits there for an hour after just 3 or 4 bites. I have not started working out because I am afraid I will lose too much since I can't really eat. I still have not found any protien supplements that are good. Just got some Unjury's chicked Soup and some of these fruity drinks that you mix, but it is not enough to go full on working out. I am not losing at a considerable pace, but I wouldn't mind stalling for a few weeks just to let my body readjust. No stalls here. 2 pounds a week right now. I can already see my skin start to look not so great, but I also feel like I am losing muscle. I enjoy the weight loss, but 300 calories a day just seems WAY TOO LOW. I feel ok. Tired a little and probably dehydrated a little. I have to wait an hour before I can drink anything after I eat just three bites of food and right now sometimes I feel like I have to choose between eating or drinking. Like I can't do both. I am NEVER HUNGRY. I know that I have to eat. I don't forget, but eating is like punishment. I ate 3 thin slices of turkey meat about 30 minutes ago and it is still there. That was about an ounce of meat. I would give anything just to be able to eat 4 oz.

If I can eat only an ounce of food one month out, how will I ever be able to eat a cup of food? Am I still swollen? Does it stretch? And what is really crazy is I went for a walk and was so thirsty. I was able to knock back a bottle of gatorade in no time, but normally I can not drink that much. I remember before surgery food would sit in my tummy for FOREVER. That hasn't changed. The amount of time it takes to digest something...I will have to look that up...Is that based on metabolism.

I started to dip my turkey meat in a full fat dressing (no carbs) just to get my calories up a little. Then I can only eat two slices.

How about something like refried Beans with some melted cheese or cheese sauce? That would have more calories and still have Protein. Add some plain Protein Powder to cream Soups or chowders, soemthing hearty and caloric. You're not starving yoursef because you have plenty of fat stores for your body to feed off of, but I get how exercising is tough when your caloric intake is so little. Still, instead of doing mad cardio and burning 400 calories, just do some muscle toning to keep them strong and from withering away.

I am totally going to get some refried Beans in tonight.

I was afraid of the carbs, but at this point my calories are so low adding an additional 150 from Beans should be ok.

I did buy some dry roasted edamame from nutsonline.com. 1.8 oz has 18 grams of protien and 210 calories. I just don't know how much 1.8 oz is because I don't have scale.

I suggest you invest in a digital scale. I got mine at Walmart for around $20. Anything other than digital is too inaccurate to measure in the ounces we need to use.

Secondly, I am a little bit confused by everyone who says they cannot stand the Protein drinks. I get GNC whey Protein and have no problem at all. The chocolate is good just like it is. The vanilla is somewhat bland, but I add flavorings. I ordered several from Da Vinci (sugar-free of course). Every morning, I have a vanilla Protein shake with hazelnut flavoring. It tastes so good and rich, I actually crave the taste. Da Vinci has a large number of flavorings. Other people order from Torani.< /p>

300 cals daily is not enough. That throws your body into starvation mode and makes it more difficult to lose. Plus it is just not good for you. At 4 weeks, I was in the mushie stage and could take in about 3-4 ounces at a time. At that time I was not on meals and Snacks, just grazing on mushies and was probably getting about 600-800 cals daily.

I hope you are able to increase your intake. You will certainly feel better and have more energy. Keep us posted...Kathe

I think I am going to go back to the basics and try out my chilli and Soups again. I can add unflavored Protein. I guess I just don't know how much I am eating, but I know it isn't a lot. I really would love to get in 100 grams of protien a day. I have some more samples headed my way. nectar sample pack. I will just keep looking for more.

I'm worried about you. You need more calories. I'm just now getting some of my energy back and I'm up to 500-700 calories a day. I'm 3 weeks, 4 days post op. It's really super hard to get there because there's just no room in my new tummy and my appetite isn't there at all but I make myself eat or drink something.

Just a couple of ideas:

I have these 4 oz. canning jars (4 oz. all the way up to the rim) that I bought at Walmart and I use those because they are 1/2 cup and that is the maximum my stomach can hold at one time. Depending on what I am eating, sometimes I can eat all of the 1/2 cup ... sometimes only half. You can set a small pot of Water on the stove and stick you jar of food in and heat it up slowly. Or if you can only eat half at one time...you can stick the remaining half back in the Water and keep it warm until you're ready for it again.

Walmart also has the 2.6 oz. packages of tuna in water. They are very soft and easy to get down. When I put it in my little jar, it goes about 3/4 the way up. Then I take Minute Maid Premium 100% Lemon juice (here's a link: http://www.walmart.c...-Juice/13908197 ) which can be found in the frozen food section and I soak my tuna in it. Then I eat it. I get 18 grams of Protein and around 100 calories. Not many calories but you can add things in your day....like....apple juice, apple sauce, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, potatoe Soup, scrambled egg, etc. If you're still having problems with some of the soft foods, try to puree a can of black Beans (drain them first), a can of chicken broth, a little bit of salsa. Then heat up 1/2 cup and put a little sour cream on top. It's really pretty tasty. Another idea is to scramble an egg and add thinly sliced ham lunch meat that you've cut up real tiny. That's very tasty, too. I feel like I eat the same things over and over again and I get tired of it but I know I have to eat to stay healthy. If you find something that doesn't go down good, wait for a week or two before you try it again. Last night, I baked a piece of tilapia fish. Even though it was fairly soft and easy to chew up, it felt like it was getting stuck in my lower esophagus. I walked for 10 minutes last night trying to get comfortable again and thank goodness that worked. So, I'll stay away from it for a while. You could even try some canned chicken with light mayo and melba toast. I haven't tried it yet but that is on my list of things that I can have.

I understand about the Protein shakes. I'm soooooooooo sick of them. But you have to find at least one that you can half way stand and just drink it. That's what I do. Believe me, I don't want to but I make myself because I know that if I don't...I will have problems on down the line. I drink Syntha-6 chocolate Milk shake flavor. It has 200 calories when mixed with water and 22 grams Protein. I can't remember the carb count off the top of my head but it is low. Sometimes I mix 6 oz. skim milk and one scoop of the protein powder. Then I poor 4 oz. into my 4 oz. canning jar and put the rest in the fridge. After I drink that, I wait about an hour and drink the rest. That gives me a total of 28 grams of protein.

Also, keep in mind that your body will only absorb 18-22 grams of protein at any one time. So, it's okay to split up a Protein Drink or even a meal....just make sure you finish them sometime during the day and still get whatever you need in the rest of the day.

Do you get up early? Just wondering....if you don't maybe try getting up earlier so you have more time to get in what is required. During the week, I get up at 6:30 a.m. with my husband....even then, I have a hard time getting everything in. This is hard but you have to do what you have to do to stay healthy. :)

I just reread your post...about only being able to take in 1 oz. at a time. Sorry...I went on about 4 oz. You need to call your surgeon. That doesn't sound right. I know that sometimes 2 oz. feels uncomfortable to me depending on what I am eating but I know I can fit in 1/2 cup of food or drink at one time.

Thanks. I am going to really try to see what I can do. String cheese is really the only thing that truly melts in my mouth so when I swallow it I can eat a whole piece no problem. I got a tuna sandwich for lunch and just finished it. So it took me forever to get the tuna down. Of course I don't eat the bread. I will go to Walmart this week to get a scale as I have a gift card coming :) I just wonder how the sleeve stretches. I wouldn't mind being able to consume a bit more as I know I can make the healthy choices. I just know my hair is going to fall out. My muscles were really strong, and I can feel them going away. I guess hopefully whatever happens in the next six months once I am able to consume more I can start regaining my muscle and building myself back up.

I think at one month you are still quite swollen and it should get better. I can only eat 1/4 cup maximum, that is my surgeon's plan. With a Protein drink in the morning, and 3-4 meals plus powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup in the evening, I get 500-700 calories, and all my Protein.

You really do need to work on that protein! That will protect you muscles- if you get your protein the body turns to fat cells for burning but if you don't it will feed on muscle. Keep looking for a powder you like and add things to it- bananas, Peanut Butter, berries, sugar free syrups, etc. It just is something you need to do with such a low capacity to protect your body! Keep looking until you find something you like- there are gazillions of different ones, you need to push yourself and just find one!

DON'T worry about carbs at this point! You need to up your calories first and foremost. Get s/fpudding cups, eat yogurt- get the calories in. You can really damage your body by not nourishing yourself properly right now and your weight loss will slow down anyway so this is important. It is hard to get back on track when you become malnourished.

Good luck to you!

Hi, I'm 5 weeks out tomorrow and I can only get 1-2 oz of mushies in. I can get 4 oz Protein shake in at a time. My doctor said this is quite normal at this stage. I've read where some people can get much more in but even at this point my chest starts to feel very tight. I'm getting my Vitamins in most days and am getting better on the liquids. I froze FUZE into ice cubes today and added them to my Water for extra flavor and Vitamins. Good luck.

I am barely getting in 300 calories with all the diet stuff they have you drinking and food just sits there for an hour after just 3 or 4 bites. I have not started working out because I am afraid I will lose too much since I can't really eat. I still have not found any protien supplements that are good. Just got some Unjury's chicked Soup and some of these fruity drinks that you mix, but it is not enough to go full on working out. I am not losing at a considerable pace, but I wouldn't mind stalling for a few weeks just to let my body readjust. No stalls here. 2 pounds a week right now. I can already see my skin start to look not so great, but I also feel like I am losing muscle. I enjoy the weight loss, but 300 calories a day just seems WAY TOO LOW. I feel ok. Tired a little and probably dehydrated a little. I have to wait an hour before I can drink anything after I eat just three bites of food and right now sometimes I feel like I have to choose between eating or drinking. Like I can't do both. I am NEVER HUNGRY. I know that I have to eat. I don't forget, but eating is like punishment. I ate 3 thin slices of turkey meat about 30 minutes ago and it is still there. That was about an ounce of meat. I would give anything just to be able to eat 4 oz.

If I can eat only an ounce of food one month out, how will I ever be able to eat a cup of food? Am I still swollen? Does it stretch? And what is really crazy is I went for a walk and was so thirsty. I was able to knock back a bottle of gatorade in no time, but normally I can not drink that much. I remember before surgery food would sit in my tummy for FOREVER. That hasn't changed. The amount of time it takes to digest something...I will have to look that up...Is that based on metabolism.

I started to dip my turkey meat in a full fat dressing (no carbs) just to get my calories up a little. Then I can only eat two slices.