Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Telling people at work about my surgery

I decided even before my surgery that I was going to tell the people I work with about my surgery. I know a lot of people on here have kept it a secret and that's fine for them, but for me it was important to feel like I wasn't hiding anything. I wasn't sure if I would be judged or not but at the same time I didn't care either. There would be no whispering and talking behind my back when the weight started falling off. They would know why I was losing weight. I told a few of my friends from work after my surgery and told them to let the people at work know where I was going to be for the 4 weeks I was off so most would know by the time I returned. So 2 days ago was my first day back to work and I have to say it's went better than I could ever have imagined. I work at a big 3 auto plant so there are a lot of people there. I got so many hand shakes and welcome backs that it was almost overwhelming. They asked how I was feeling and asked how much weight I had lost and I told them about 50 lbs. and they all thought it was great. Even my boss said I looked great and said they were all proud of me for doing it. I have to say I work with some great people. If there have been negative reactions or remarks I don't know about it and that's fine with me. People have even been approaching me and asking all sorts of questions about the surgery and if I'm hungry and what can I eat now. I've become somewhat of a tutor to those that want to learn about it. Most people don't know much about it I've found. Hey if I can help somebody start their journey then it was worth telling people. I'm pretty happy about the situation as you can tell! So whether you tell or not is up to you. It is a personal issue. I'm just the kind of person that can't leave that kind of thing inside.

That is awesome!!! My boyfriend went back to work last week, but he had coworkers coming over to the house before then to check on him and talk about the surgery. It is always great to hear a positive experience :)

That's great! I know that some people work with some not-so-nice people so it probably isn't good for everyone to do, but it was right for me and I'm glad now! Glad it worked out for him!

I am excited that I have the full support of my coworkers. They are all assisting with my pre-op diet and being extra careful to not bring all the junk around so I'm not tempted in this difficult time of not eating while having a big stomach. More support is better and people always wonder and ask questions about it. I'm excited to educate them. I work in a hotel with two restaurants and the exceptional DoubleTree cookie so as you can imagine it's a bit rough being around food all the time. My chef even offered to make me custom meals if I brought him recipes and dietary needs. If you don't let people in how will you know if they have something to offer your struggle. That's a choice each of us make and I'm excited to say its a great big thumbs up for me. If your in the Tampa area stop in for a bariatric meal courtesy of Chef Juan Villasenor and Food and Beverage Director Michael Pagliarli!

Wow, that's awesome. Thanks for the invite and if I get down there I might just stop in for that meal. It just makes it easier for me to have my co-workers know because we go to lunch and things and now they know why I'm only ordering a small cup of chili or not drinking beer or doing things out of the ordinary. I just wanted to be able to do what I have to do without having to explain things away all the time like not drinking during eating or not eating the pizza or donuts the boss bought for everyone. The "I'm on a diet" will only go so long. It will make it a lot better in the workplace.

I am excited that I have the full support of my coworkers. They are all assisting with my pre-op diet and being extra careful to not bring all the junk around so I'm not tempted in this difficult time of not eating while having a big stomach. More support is better and people always wonder and ask questions about it. I'm excited to educate them. I work in a hotel with two restaurants and the exceptional DoubleTree cookie so as you can imagine it's a bit rough being around food all the time. My chef even offered to make me custom meals if I brought him recipes and dietary needs. If you don't let people in how will you know if they have something to offer your struggle. That's a choice each of us make and I'm excited to say its a great big thumbs up for me. If your in the Tampa area stop in for a bariatric meal courtesy of Chef Juan Villasenor and food and Beverage Director Michael Pagliarli!

Thanks Kelly! I've been following your posts and it looks like you've been doing great and educating a lot of newbies on this site. Good job!

GOOD FOR YOU!!

Kelly :)

I think you made a wise choice Greg. Congrats and continued success!

I have been VERY open about my surgery as well. I have a co-worker who had the Lap-Band and she kept it very quiet. I think she is a bit jealous of the support I have been getting because I have been so open about it. I also keep a blog and I share it with anyone who asks about my progress. It has been an AMAZING ride and I am lovin' every single minute of it.

Congrats on your progress. It sounds like you have everything you need to have a successful journey.

I told the people I work closely with as soon as I received a surgery date. I was out of work for 3 1/2 weeks and they needed to pick up the slack in my absense. I am an open person and it would have been very difficult to just tell them I was going out on medical leave. They would have assumed the absolute worst and I didn't want to cause them any concern. When I first came back after surgery I looked pretty haggard. I am sure that some people who didn't know I had WLS assumed the worst. I think the word spread and now everyone knows. I get a lot of comments and words of support. Some people ask questions because they are interested in the surgery either for themselves or for a family member. No one has said anything negative or unsupportive at all, at least not to my face!

One interesting thing is that I did not tell my extended family I was having surgery (aunts, cousins, etc.). After surgery many of my work "friends" wrote messages of support to my Facebook page. It was pretty apparent that I had had surgery and was home recovering. My relatives all came out of the woodwork asking what was wrong and did I need help. I felt kinda bad that I hadn't told them before but I really had no opportunity to do so.

I think the decision whether to tell your co-workers or not is an individual one. I work in an environment where we are generally pretty open with what is happening in our personal lives and it would have been more difficult not to tell than to tell.

Glad it's all worked out for you. Yes, it is an individual decision whether to tell or not and it isn't for everyone. If you're lucky enough to work with a bunch of positive supportive people who love you then it's a great decision. If you're a private person and barely know your co-workers on a personal level then maybe it's not the best idea. I've worked with most of the people I'm talking about for almost 20 years. I've seen their children born and went to high school graduations of those same kids, went on vacation with them, etc. I spend more time with them than I do my family.

I told the people I work closely with as soon as I received a surgery date. I was out of work for 3 1/2 weeks and they needed to pick up the slack in my absense. I am an open person and it would have been very difficult to just tell them I was going out on medical leave. They would have assumed the absolute worst and I didn't want to cause them any concern. When I first came back after surgery I looked pretty haggard. I am sure that some people who didn't know I had WLS assumed the worst. I think the word spread and now everyone knows. I get a lot of comments and words of support. Some people ask questions because they are interested in the surgery either for themselves or for a family member. No one has said anything negative or unsupportive at all, at least not to my face!

One interesting thing is that I did not tell my extended family I was having surgery (aunts, cousins, etc.). After surgery many of my work "friends" wrote messages of support to my Facebook page. It was pretty apparent that I had had surgery and was home recovering. My relatives all came out of the woodwork asking what was wrong and did I need help. I felt kinda bad that I hadn't told them before but I really had no opportunity to do so.

I think the decision whether to tell your co-workers or not is an individual one. I work in an environment where we are generally pretty open with what is happening in our personal lives and it would have been more difficult not to tell than to tell.

Thanks greeneyedmamma!

I have been VERY open about my surgery as well. I have a co-worker who had the Lap-Band and she kept it very quiet. I think she is a bit jealous of the support I have been getting because I have been so open about it. I also keep a blog and I share it with anyone who asks about my progress. It has been an AMAZING ride and I am lovin' every single minute of it.

Congrats on your progress. It sounds like you have everything you need to have a successful journey.

I had positive experience with the people at work too. They knew I was going to have surgery at the very beginning and have been supportive. It's family I'm not telling, lol. I kept things off Facebook and I told people not to post things on my facebook page.

I haven't said anything on Facebook nor do I go around with a bullhorn announcing it, but if someone asks me, I'll tell them.

I had positive experience with the people at work too. They knew I was going to have surgery at the very beginning and have been supportive. It's family I'm not telling, lol. I kept things off facebook and I told people not to post things on my facebook page.