Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is up with therapist

My therapist "suggested" tha I stay away from this site because it just screams "sickness". WTF, this is the one of the few places I can get some helpfull information. I should mention that this therapist is telling me that I really don't need WLS because I'm not that "big". Then why in the hell would two doctors give me letters of medical nessesity. Has anybody else had this problem???????

Your therapist is nuts ! :blink::rolleyes::lol:

Run DO NOT WALK to find another one asap!

I've had a lot of pushback about WLS from the gym I go to.... and I think your therapist is just insecure because you're getting more support/advice from us than from he or she. Some therapists have massive egos and don't appreciate their patients being anything less than 100% dependent on them for advice and direction. blink.gif Do what YOU are comfortable with and what YOU feel will get you to a good place in your life. After much soul searching, I know that I love to eat healthy foods and to be active....I just like to eat way too much and I also have no idea when I'm really hungry or really full. So the best solution *for me* is the sleeve. I don't give a f*** what worked for other people, cuz they ain't me. I just smile and nod and move on. I go to my therapist when my meds run out, tell her what she wants me to say, get my refills and get out. Then I come here or to my friends for advice or support. But again...that's just ME. You do what you need to do to get where you need to be and pi$$ on everyone else. They are not worthy of your time or attention. ((hugs)) and best of luck to you!!

Love and xoxoxoxoxox

I'm a psychologist. I'd get a new therapist if I were you. Therapy isn't about someone telling you their opinions, it's about them helping you discover what's best for you.

I had this same problem when I was considering the ba.nd. The doc/nurses at the first hospital I started at advised against a support group with lots of people who struggle. They said something about only talking/hanging around people who are successful. I also know that they would read the message boards and discuss all our posts (There was a patient generated, hospital specific thread and the staff read it daily). Perhaps your doc is afraid of you getting bad advise or being pulled down by people who aren't successful? Or that you'll learn how to "cheat".

I agree that you should no longer see that "therapist"...Not real professional if you ask me. Maybe try the one who did/is doing your psych eval...they probably have experience with ppl who get wls.

What??? LOL I remember my NUT saying for me to not take anything from this site seriously because there was so much wrong info here. I couldn't have made it without my friends helping me here! And I had numerous people tell me I wasn't big enough for surgery. Yet I weighed 286, was morbidly obese, and I started having blood sugar problems. I go back to look at my before pics and don't get why anyone would say I didn't need WLS. I was huge! The sleeve is awesome no matter what anyone says! I am thankful every single day that I have my mine. Don't let anyone stand in the way your happiness. You deserve this!!!

In an ideal life our nuts and therapists would be VSG patients themselves. Until that happen they only offer there "EDUCATED"" opinions of what they think we should do, same goes for doctors. Do what is right for your, and you only!

Giving the therapist the benefit of the doubt, i know that my time spent on this site was pretty obsessive from the time I started researching until about 2 monhs after surgery. I felt like I couldn't get through my day without checking the site several times. This would be considered obsessive behavior and may not be healthy. However, that daily contact really kept me sane through the surgery and recovery process.

It is true, though, that it is unethical for a therapist to tell you what to do. YOu are there to explore your feelings and a therapist is supposed to guide you through that exploration.

See if you can get a referral.

Regarding the not big enough thing - I think our society has been desensitized to how large people really are. Bottom line, you are overweight and you want to do something about it that will really work. I'll tell you - this surgery gives you a fighting chance to get all that weight off and keep it off,

Good luck with your decision.

Your "therapist" is an idiot.

Wow. When I went for the psych eval, I told the therapist I was on this site and obesity help. I told her that both were a good source of information from people that are going through it, good, bad or indifferent. She was happy that I was in communication with others that would give me a general idea of "what to expect" and its also a good support system.

My Kaiser Options classes told me to follow any advise from these sites. When I went to my first appointment with the surgeon, he said he

was impressed with knowledge on the sleeve.. All of which I learned from this site. LOL

I told my doc that I was on here and he said GREAT! He said the more information you know the better you are. He did warn me though that not everything I read will apply to me but I already knew that, duh LOL, everyone is different and goes through different experiences. As far as not being big enough, you have two people with MD after their names that disagree. Get rid of that therapist pronto!

I too am a therapist and I can't wait to get here and check out the new posts. I thinks it is an awesome way to learn from real people about real experiences. The only way I'd express a "concern" to a client about it, is if they were spending so much time on the boards they weren't connecting with people real time too. This is a great way to meet people, am hoping to make some new friends myself on here before my surgery with Dr. Aceves July 13th.