Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any suggestions for giving up soda?????

I gave up sodas with my band by switching to carbonated Water for about a year, then i tapered to plain Water.< /p>

I find that elimination of both artificial sweeteners and caffeine from my diet significantly decreases my sugar cravings.

...Remember that Cola nut extract has been a longstanding appetite stimulant that was in use much before sodas were even invented.

After banding, it is very uncomfortable to drink carbonation. Now, if I drink a diet coke, it needs to be "flattened", before I drink it very slow......

The first 6 months I didn't drink it. Now, I drink it very rarely.

Shawn

Are you joking about drinking "carbonated" slurpees? Gosh, I believe everything I read. I've never had a Slurpee in my life. Am I deprived or what? They just never appealed to me.:(

I used to drink Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi Slurpees, but not since I was banded. My surgeon is a carbonation Nazi. He maintains that carbonation is the number one cause of Lap Band slips. Next is keeping your band too tight.

PS....Don't kill the messenger. This is just what my doctor says and yours may give different advice.

I thought you were serious about drinking slurpies after being banded :( My dr. says I can't have any carbonated soda unless I let it go flat first, and that sounds so unappealing. I have found a variety of other things I love (see above post) so I don't think I'll be missing sodas.

I would never kill the messenger....I just thought you were drinking slurpees and was preparing my lecture against carbonation :) No need to now.

God Bless,

Dody

I really can't think of any great way to give them up except.... COLD TURKEY!!! I always drank diet cokes before being banded and just finally realized that I had to give them up some time...better before banding than after and suffering trying to drink them. Good Luck.. its hard giving up some things and some things you never even miss!

I totally second the suggestion of making your own flavored teas/waters and using stevia as a sweetner. I like many people, find that artificial sweetners make me crave sugar/sweets, many people also find they cause fatigue/low energy, or other health issues, and there are some studies that indicate they make slow your metabolism. Stevia is a calorie free all natural herb that is sweet, it's glucosoids are not digestible, so it has no calories, it is also believed to help speed metabolism. I drink Water with lime juice concentrate and stevia all the time, or iced tea made with green tea and stevia and some lemon. Love it, not missing the diet cola I used to be hooked on at all!

I too was a devotee of the diet coke and diet pepsi products! I gave them up when I was banded on 4/10/06. I really thought I would miss the soda more than I do, but I am really addicted to Crystal Light---fruit punch, orange, Target brand strawberry lemonade is great too, Walmart fruit punch, and Arizona diet iced tea. I like the green tea and blueberry the best. I like the teas b/c they give me the caffeinne boost.

Say no to the bubbles :(

Second the Crystal Light and all of it's variations.....it tastes great and it's less filling.

:( :biggrin1:

Crystal Light is my new addiction after having to give up the diet coke. fruit punch, sunrise orange, & strawberry kiwi are my favorite. They have the 2 go packs too, where you can stick them in your purse & pour them into a bottle of Water, it is wonderful.

HI,

I find this an interesting thread...

I drank lots of diet Dr. Pepper before surgery and was sure that I would really miss it, but have been amazed that I haven't. I have done a lot of Crystal Lite since then, some juice and lots of ice Water, which seems to suit me fine. The only carbonated drink that I really miss is the very rare cold beer (like yesterday when it was 97 and after working outside most of the day). I had to make do with a margarita!

Penny

Banded 4/5/06 Dr. Ortiz

30# gone

This is going to sound strange....but, can I still drink alcohol (in an excessive amount) if I am banded?

There is this horserace/party that I go to once a year and that's what it's all about. This is the only time I drink EVER, and I want to know if I have to give this up? :)

Before I was banded, I began the switch to tea, I have always drank tea, but also drank Diet Dr. Pepper in excess too! I now drink the tea and Fuze Fruit Drinks, I especially like the Mango/Peach, or the white tea, and they have diet ones too, the tropical punch is really good as is the cranberry/raspberry. They are high in antioxidents, and Vitamins. But I brew decaffeinated iced tea by the pitcher and drink it all day. I try to get about 40 ounces of plain old Water in as well. But the tea I drink is unsweetened, and Decaf, so figure it isn't too bad for me!! DH refers to it as my colored water!

Kat

I have been told at my group,that you can pour soda into ice cube trays,then freeze. The freezeing takes out the carbonation. good luck

To give up Diet Coke, I eliminated one can a day each week. It took me six weeks to go from 6/day to 0/day. I am amazed I don't miss it. I freeze Glaceau Vitamin Water. It gives me Vitamins and is yummy. (125 calories in a bottle) The Tropical Citrus flavor does have caffeine in it.

I gave up sodas July 1, but I'm not going to be banded until 8/10. I just decided that I should give them up now so I won't crave them when I had to give them up. I've also started an exercise program too. Believe it or not, I haven't even cheated not once and I really don't miss them. I guess it's mind over matter.

I drink ALOT of ice tea with Sweet n Low. I buy the Lipton Cold Brew and fix it at work and just drink that. Here in the South we drink ice tea all year round so I'm sure I'll drink the tea all year long. I know there are drinks that are not carbonated, but sure as I drink something in a can or bottle, I'll want to go back to sodas.

:gluck: