Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I blowing my chances???

Hi all,

I was sleeved 5 weeks ago(tomorrow). I have lost 19 lbs since surgery. I am hoping I am in the dreaded 3 week stall (for 2 weeks) and not messing up my chances of losing this weight. I have been getting the majority of my Protein from Protein Drinks still and eating very small amounts of soft protein sources. I also have been eating ALOT of popsicles. Both sugarfree and regular. I didn't realize that the popsicles had 8 carbs each until I looked today. Would having my carb intake too high be causing me not to lose? I am getting in between 50 and 60 oz of Water and 70+ grams of protein almost every day. I am starting to worry that my beloved popsicles are messing me up. Any words of wisdom would be so greatly appreciated.

I started on myfitnesspal.com today as some other gals in my class are doing the same. I kept my calories just below 500 and my carbs were 22. I try to exercise every day but this past week has been pretty spotty. Usually I swim a mile. I am getting scared...is all this surgery and recovery going to be worth it?? I had the sleeve and then 9 days later I had to have my gallbladder out so it has been a slow recovery. I still don't have all my energy back but it is getting better.

Thank you all for the encouragement, wisdom and help!!! We newbies REALLY appreciate it!

Hello,

Our stories are similar. I was sleeved about 6 weeks ago on 26 April and got very sick after and ended up back in the Emergency Room with pnuemonia. I have also had a slow recovery and have lost only 21 lbs since surgery. I am drinking 100 oz of Water and trying to get 100 g of Protein each day. I also swim 1 mile 4-5 days a week and I dont understand why the scale is not moving quicker. My doctor has said to keep calories below 600 and carbs under 40. Something I was not counting carbs/calories of until yesterday was the Vitamins and Calcium pills. I was surprised that each of them had 3 carbs each and I am taking several of them per day. So started yesterday counting those in my daily totals and will see if that makes a difference.

Dont have any advice but I am in a similar situation as you.

all the best!!

Hi all,

I was sleeved 5 weeks ago(tomorrow). I have lost 19 lbs since surgery. I am hoping I am in the dreaded 3 week stall (for 2 weeks) and not messing up my chances of losing this weight. I have been getting the majority of my Protein from protein drinks still and eating very small amounts of soft protein sources. I also have been eating ALOT of popsicles. Both sugarfree and regular. I didn't realize that the popsicles had 8 carbs each until I looked today. Would having my carb intake too high be causing me not to lose? I am getting in between 50 and 60 oz of Water and 70+ grams of protein almost every day. I am starting to worry that my beloved popsicles are messing me up. Any words of wisdom would be so greatly appreciated.

I started on myfitnesspal.com today as some other gals in my class are doing the same. I kept my calories just below 500 and my carbs were 22. I try to exercise every day but this past week has been pretty spotty. Usually I swim a mile. I am getting scared...is all this surgery and recovery going to be worth it?? I had the sleeve and then 9 days later I had to have my gallbladder out so it has been a slow recovery. I still don't have all my energy back but it is getting better.

Thank you all for the encouragement, wisdom and help!!! We newbies REALLY appreciate it!

WOW, I guess everyone's bodies are truly different... a month or so ago I tried one week of calories 600 or less, Carbs under 35 and I kicked in more excersise. I lost .08 of a pound,.. not even a full pound in one week... I had several people on the forum and the nut at my doc office tell me that I goofed up by kicking in excersise and reducing my calories so low that my body went into "starvation" mode... I was not providing enough calories to keep my metobolism up.... I only tried it that one week, I had hoped I would see this 5-6 pound loss and was so extremely disapointed to not even lose one single pound... Ever since then, I have been around the 1200 - 1000 calorie mark, I keep my carbs under 50 and I am always consuming some kind of protien every 3 hours during the day,,, It is working great for me!

Maybe you could talk to your nut again about too low of calories, you need fuel for your body to burn ... few calories is not giving you the fuel... Good Luck..

Hi

I was sleeved 4 weeks ago. I hit the stall around around day 18. I spoke with nutrionist last week and she recommended trying to get most of my Protein from food rather than the shakes. I decreased my shakes to one per day and increased my Water. I also made sure I was getting less than 30g of carbs a day. It worked, last last week, the scale started moving again.

Try tuna salad. I am not a big tuna fan but it has a bunch of Protein in a 1/4 cup serving.

Good luck.

WOW, I guess everyone's bodies are truly different... a month or so ago I tried one week of calories 600 or less, Carbs under 35 and I kicked in more excersise. I lost .08 of a pound,.. not even a full pound in one week... I had several people on the forum and the nut at my doc office tell me that I goofed up by kicking in excersise and reducing my calories so low that my body went into "starvation" mode... I was not providing enough calories to keep my metobolism up.... I only tried it that one week, I had hoped I would see this 5-6 pound loss and was so extremely disapointed to not even lose one single pound... Ever since then, I have been around the 1200 - 1000 calorie mark, I keep my carbs under 50 and I am always consuming some kind of protien every 3 hours during the day,,, It is working great for me!

Maybe you could talk to your nut again about too low of calories, you need fuel for your body to burn ... few calories is not giving you the fuel... Good Luck..

I'm going to hold off on celebrating too soon but my weight loss, as I've said, has been very, very slow. So I decided to throw caution to the wind and switch from the wonderful "healthy" foods like baked cod (3 oz piece and 90 calories) to a Glucerna Protein bar with something like 200 or 220 calories and extremely pureed beef, much higher calorie content than fish. I can eat a bit less in terms of bulk, but what I am getting is more calories. Every food opportunity I am trying to think of ways to ramp my calories up from the 500 per day I was getting. I have been about 650- 700 per day since Saturday. And since my weigh in Saturday morning I've lost 2 pounds. Might be a total accident, but I certainly feel better at 650 than 500. If it continues, then I'll be a very happy person! And since I'm in this for (hopefully!) a very long haul, it was worth the try.

(Just a P.S., I can really tell the difference in my stomach. Lots of grumbling and gurgling but no discomfort. I think it's just having to work harder.)

Perfect! I am in total agreement. The days I was worried that I BLEW it cause my calories were higher...I lost more. Now higher and feeling like we ate soooo much is really our own little joke now because if we fed a 2 year old our portions we'd be arrested for starving them...but we feel like gluttons! LOL. Seriously...when I added something higher calorie, like a slice of regular cheese or one night an ice cream sundae cup from McD's (w/o the chocolate...I couldn't be THAT bad) I did better. I think adding a little fat and calories seems to help. I have only had a 4-5 day stall really (I am very thankful) so something is working. I hope your scale keeps going DOWN!!! (fast....lol)

Tammy~