Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Most common complications?

All has gone well for me so far at 1 week out (knock on wood) but I think I will feel a bit nervous and overprotective of myself until I reach that 8 week mark...

I know that a leak is the biggie as far as complications are concerned, but is there anything else recently sleeved people should think about, or watch out for? What other kinds of complications are there and what kind of symptoms might there be? Not trying to scare myself or anyone else, just want to be extra prepared. :)

Congratulations!!!!

I do not know if this is a "complication" but... I had a problem that my "head" was thinking I needed to eat, eat, eat - get my protien in. And my tummy was telling me "no, no more please!" and I didnt always listen to my tummy... I was over the top about protien level and getting in food & Water that I over did it and made myself sick, which is totally no fun to just have this surgery and then be laying on the bathroom floor in terrible pain waiting to vomit... ugh.... When I went for my 4 week check up and told my doc how I had been sick 3-4 times now, and explained it, he was not happy... He told me in the first 6 weeks we are in the healing stage, do not force the food, only eat when you are hungry... and the protien levels are a guideline, once I am healed then I need to make sure to hit the protien level. Once the doc told me this, oh wow, things for me went 100% better!

Good luck :D

Dehydration is a big one. As much as Protein is important for recovery, Water is more important. Even mild dehydration can cause nausea which leads to not wanting to eat, or drink more because it seems like a never-ending cycle.

Thanks guys - I have worried about both of these things. I have not had pain or nausea as I know some have. But I worry about doing too much, as I've read about nerves that are still healing and not able to detect fullness. And it seems like it takes ages to drink a cup of Water, although it's better than it was initially. I sip constantly throughout the day and have sf Jello, but I think I am probably only getting in 40 oz liquid or so and I'm on Day 10.

Just worried that I will do something wrong and hurt myself... I have crap insurance, so any complication will be dealt with on my own dime, which makes me extra paranoid. I called a local bariatric doctor (not cold called - was recommended by a nutritionist I've been working with) and they were so nice at first, and then straight hung up on me when I said I'd had surgery in Mexico. I get that it's a liability for them or whatever, but no need to be so mean, right?

Feeling a bit low today I guess. Also the first day back at work and I'm wiped...but tomorrow is another day!

Golden, Your energy level will be low for a while, my doc told me up to 6 months post op. I am at 5 months post op and each week I can tell I have so much more energy, but boy those first 3 months I was pretty tired at night after working all day! Good luck...

All has gone well for me so far at 1 week out (knock on wood) but I think I will feel a bit nervous and overprotective of myself until I reach that 8 week mark...

I know that a leak is the biggie as far as complications are concerned, but is there anything else recently sleeved people should think about, or watch out for? What other kinds of complications are there and what kind of symptoms might there be? Not trying to scare myself or anyone else, just want to be extra prepared. :)

One week after my VSG I had to be rushed to the hospital...no blood pressure, dizzy to the point of passing out. A CT scan revealed that I had abdominal bleeding. After starting blood transfusions and stabilizing my blood pressure enough to get back in an ambulance, I travelled an hour to the hospital where I had my VSG. My surgeon was waiting for me and he operated imediately...blood transfusions continued for another 36 hours. I spent three days in ICU and three more on the surgical floor before being released. I am still very anemic, weak, sore and tired, but feeling a little better. I was sleeved on 5/23/11 and went back in hospital 5/31/11. I have not found anyone on this forum that has had a similar experience.

Dehydration not getting enough Protein and deficiencies Some people develop a problem with acid reflux and food intolerances..

I think that is FANTASTIC that you are getting that much liquid in at a little over a week out!! WOOW!!!

I am a little over a month and still not able to hit 64oz. I drink ALL DAY LONG and still don't hit 50oz. It is is hard when you have to stop before eating and wait after eating and can't guzzle.

I am working on drinking more everyday, but it is a struggle!!

Kelly :D

Thanks guys - I have worried about both of these things. I have not had pain or nausea as I know some have. But I worry about doing too much, as I've read about nerves that are still healing and not able to detect fullness. And it seems like it takes ages to drink a cup of Water, although it's better than it was initially. I sip constantly throughout the day and have sf Jello, but I think I am probably only getting in 40 oz liquid or so and I'm on Day 10.

Just worried that I will do something wrong and hurt myself... I have crap insurance, so any complication will be dealt with on my own dime, which makes me extra paranoid. I called a local bariatric doctor (not cold called - was recommended by a nutritionist I've been working with) and they were so nice at first, and then straight hung up on me when I said I'd had surgery in Mexico. I get that it's a liability for them or whatever, but no need to be so mean, right?

Feeling a bit low today I guess. Also the first day back at work and I'm wiped...but tomorrow is another day!

Abdominal bleeding from where? Where exactly was the source, and if u dont mind me asking where was your surgery?

One week after my VSG I had to be rushed to the hospital...no blood pressure, dizzy to the point of passing out. A CT scan revealed that I had abdominal bleeding. After starting blood transfusions and stabilizing my blood pressure enough to get back in an ambulance, I travelled an hour to the hospital where I had my VSG. My surgeon was waiting for me and he operated imediately...blood transfusions continued for another 36 hours. I spent three days in ICU and three more on the surgical floor before being released. I am still very anemic, weak, sore and tired, but feeling a little better. I was sleeved on 5/23/11 and went back in hospital 5/31/11. I have not found anyone on this forum that has had a similar experience.

Other complications could be infections in the incisions or seromas. I haven't had that, but didn't see it listed. Golden, what was the cause of the bleeding?

My biggest complication was a noisey stomach! I feel lucky, but I have to say I have had zero issues post VSG and I am a very happy camper!