Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

That food pain in the chest

Now, many of you may say well d'uh I knew that are you a dum dum? But truly- I kept wondering why the pain from eating too much would always be described as chest pain like it is caught there- well, yesterday my doctor told me that is actually the top of our thumbys! Always was the top of the big one too- and so of course when it is too large, or too much, that is where the pain will manifest. I had thought it was still esophagus and did not get why the pain would be there.

Of course I also had the thumby being on the completely other side of my body than it is so all in all it as a very enlightening visit!

Today it is all about being sick to death of Protein Shakes and liquids- so that even though I get mushies on Monday it feels like YEARS away.

I wish I could sleep from now until then. Even my wonderful evening Tomato Soup is depressing. Sigh.

I'm dreaming of a scrambled egg with cheese.< /p>

So get this- I have THREE scales. The one from childhood I only could use today since it went up to 250. The digital I got a Target which seemed to vary wildy- and the digital one rated most accurate by Good Housekeeping that I bought to replace it. The thing is, the Target one agrees most with my doctor!

Today

Childhood scale 248 it is an old Health o meter that shows weight with the needle and revolving numbers.

Target scale 247

GH scale 250

I so want to use one of the lower ones! CRAZY MAKING! Only I would have and use all three!!!!!

Lol, that sounds like a mind trip. You poor thing, I don't know how you stand it.

I know how you feel about wanting to eat real food. I was so sick of sweet stuff and just wanted to eat something that didn't taste like sugar!

That has not been so much fun for me! I am scared to death of overeating, so I make sure to undereat. My nut told me to start at 1/4c and work up to 1/2 c. I probably eat less than 1/4 c, just because I am afraid to get too full and be sick. I feel satisfied when I eat, never full or hungry afterwards, but I am also afraid that I am not getting enough food. I guess that is the reason for the Vitamins? ??

I also have found the only thing that really makes me happy is that ricotta bake. I had tuna salad today and it was just nasty! So, I ended up making a Protein Drink and having that about an hour after a couple bites of tuna! I am going to try refried Beans and cheese tonight for dinner and see how that goes. I always want to try new things at home frist to see how it makes me feel before having them at work! LOL

I guess as time goes on, I will get better and it will get easier, but for now, I am not liking this eating game at all!

SIGH!!

Kelly :huh:

Kelly- seriously reading your food journey from the start of mushies has me a little worried about my own!

Also- have you tried powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup? Oh my- I tried it today and it was so easy to drink and one packet was 21 grams. I ordered a container of it and will make 12 ounces/three scoops for 30 grams so I only have one sweet one a day. I figure once I start mushies I can have that to fall back on too. It was such a relief to skip my noon time sweet one!

RE: the scales- I decided to take both digital scales over to my doctors tomorrow and weigh on his walk on huge scale (I call it the cattle scale) and compare them! Yep I'm a little nuts that way....

Hi Meggie,

Yep, I drank the unjury chicken Soup on my liquid and full liquid stage. I mixed it with chicken broth...much better that way!!

I have it sometimes still, but I really need something that is more satisfying. I am getting so bummed trying to find things that work!!

I was not supposed to have cottage cheese until my next stage of food (soft foods), but i ate it last night anyway and it went down fine. i am going to add this to the list of 2 that i can eat!

i guess (from reading) it is just because i am still really swollen in there. some people's swelling goes down really fast and other's takes a while!! :(

i feel so good and keep forgetting that it has only been 18 days. i feel like it has been so much longer than that and I am a very impatient person! i want to eat steak NOW!! LOL

you are too funny with your scale obsession!! i guess everyone has something!

Hugs,

Kelly

I am 2 weeks post-op and have had aspargus Soup and pea soup. I was feeling lethargic so I figured it was because I needed food. They both were mashed up in the mixer and went down fine. Also, I find every morning when I come to work and have a Protein Shake, I feel ill for about 10-15 minutes and then I'm fine. Today, I actually started sweating from it and then I felt fine 15 minutes later. Is this a sugar rush?

I can not do the Protein drinks. They make my tummy so upset and give me the squirts with in like 30 minutes of drinking them! I don't know what it is about them, maybe the sugar?? I don't know. I don't think it is milk, cause I can drink milk without a problem.

I HATE THEM!! :angry:

Kelly

I am 2 weeks post-op and have had aspargus Soup and pea soup. I was feeling lethargic so I figured it was because I needed food. They both were mashed up in the mixer and went down fine. Also, I find every morning when I come to work and have a Protein shake, I feel ill for about 10-15 minutes and then I'm fine. Today, I actually started sweating from it and then I felt fine 15 minutes later. Is this a sugar rush?

Kelly, I bought several different types of Soups at the grocery and pureed them when I was at your stage of eating and that got me though. I didn't care for many of the sweet drinks either but the pureed Soups gave me more of a food taste but were liquid enough to go down easily. I also felt like it took my swelling a long time to go down. I definitely progressed more slowly through the food stages than my doctor required. I was sleeved on April 12 and I still am very careful about the texture of what I eat as I feel I have a lot of restriction.

Meg...you are a hoot! I'd love to see the look on the faces of the staff at your doctor's office when you line up all of your scales to weigh on! They have probably seen stranger things though. :D My husband tells me I should adjust my weight down by 4 lbs because my home scales seem to weigh more than the docs but I am at the doctor's so infrequently that I just can't do that. It makes more sense to me to just pick a scale and go with that one. Hope you are able to decide on a winner in the scale contest!!

Hi Meggie,

Yep, I drank the unjury chicken Soup on my liquid and full liquid stage. I mixed it with chicken broth...much better that way!!

I have it sometimes still, but I really need something that is more satisfying. I am getting so bummed trying to find things that work!!

I was not supposed to have cottage cheese until my next stage of food (soft foods), but i ate it last night anyway and it went down fine. i am going to add this to the list of 2 that i can eat!

i guess (from reading) it is just because i am still really swollen in there. some people's swelling goes down really fast and other's takes a while!! :(

i feel so good and keep forgetting that it has only been 18 days. i feel like it has been so much longer than that and I am a very impatient person! i want to eat steak NOW!! LOL

you are too funny with your scale obsession!! i guess everyone has something!

Hugs,

Kelly

OK now here's a wacky thing for you cottage cheese is on full liquids on my surgeons instructions! I didn;t get it since he kept me on thin liquids but how wacky it is not even on mushies for you- going by my doctor it is no wonder it goes down well for you. It has lots of Protein too.

Yes- my husband made chicken stock for me so I mix it with the Unjury for my afternoon Protein. I ordered a tub so I can use three scoops and up the count. I just cant take 2 sweet ones any more.

Are you chewing until everything is absolutely disintegrated?

This is in the instructions from my doctor, maybe this will help:

1. Try one small bite of the new foodand chew well. Wait two minutes and if there are no problems go to step two.

2, Try 2 small bites and chew well. Wait two minutes and if no problems, step 3.

3. Try three as above and if no problems finish eating ( you may be finished at this point!)

If at any step you feel full, nauseated, or ill in any way. Stop eating and rest. Take only Clear Liquids at the next meal, and try again with blended foods and liquids at the next meal.

I am 2 weeks post-op and have had aspargus soup and pea soup. I was feeling lethargic so I figured it was because I needed food. They both were mashed up in the mixer and went down fine. Also, I find every morning when I come to work and have a protein shake, I feel ill for about 10-15 minutes and then I'm fine. Today, I actually started sweating from it and then I felt fine 15 minutes later. Is this a sugar rush?

I can not do the Protein drinks. They make my tummy so upset and give me the squirts with in like 30 minutes of drinking them! I don't know what it is about them, maybe the sugar?? I don't know. I don't think it is milk, cause I can drink milk without a problem.

I HATE THEM!! :angry:

Kelly

I am starting to hate them too. So freaking sweet!

About getting sick though-

My doctor said that if that happens dilute the Protein Drink more and take longer to drink it. That, of course, is counter to my approach of getting it into the smallest amount of liquid and getting it over with!

Puppylovemommy - if it is the usual protein drink it is unlikely to be sugar since most I have seen are splenda.

Kelly, I bought several different types of Soups at the grocery and pureed them when I was at your stage of eating and that got me though. I didn't care for many of the sweet drinks either but the pureed soups gave me more of a food taste but were liquid enough to go down easily. I also felt like it took my swelling a long time to go down. I definitely progressed more slowly through the food stages than my doctor required. I was sleeved on April 12 and I still am very careful about the texture of what I eat as I feel I have a lot of restriction.

Meg...you are a hoot! I'd love to see the look on the faces of the staff at your doctor's office when you line up all of your scales to weigh on! They have probably seen stranger things though. :D My husband tells me I should adjust my weight down by 4 lbs because my home scales seem to weigh more than the docs but I am at the doctor's so infrequently that I just can't do that. It makes more sense to me to just pick a scale and go with that one. Hope you are able to decide on a winner in the scale contest!!

You might want to add a scoop of Protein powder (unflavored) to the soups. I am on the hunt for soup today for sure I am so over the Protein shakes.

My scales were so funny today- on the digital that was 2547 yesterday- I was 248.6, on the health ometer I was 249, and on the "accurate one" I stayed at 250. I expected a gain to day because I had unjury chicken soup yesterday and it is SO salty.

I do want to put them with the one at my doctor just for fun.Yep- It is a hoot here at my house with us all checking all three!

Thanks Meggie for the advice. This is my instructions too. However, the food stage that I am on and have been on do not have anything to chew. I was on liquids and now on pureed. There are no chunks! I do swish it around a bit before swallowing, but still nothing really to chew!

I did eat cottage cheese (not supposed to) and I did have to chew this. I did chew each (small) bite 20 times as instructed to do. I also swished a few times b4 swallowing. I do not have issues with the cottage cheese.< /p>

Today, I got off work at 11, only a 1/2 day since Monday is a holiday! YAY! I came home and pureed a can of split pea Soup from progresso. It was SOOOO YUMM!! 1/2 c was what I set out to have and about 4 tsp into it I got the worst gas pains!! had to stop!

I feel so defeated!!! i ended up having some v-8, i am drinking that everyday because at least i feel i get some kind of nutrients, even if it is loaded with salt (i do have the low sodium kind!!). i also was told by my nut to get carnation instant breakfast-no sugar added and have that as a Meal Replacement. i had that a few minutes ago, with my silk light vanilla milk, there was 15g of Protein. that was a lot for 8oz of liquid. and it actually tasted good. it has lots of nutrients in it too.

i know it will get better eventually, i just wish i could eat! i am going to make chicken meatballs tonight for my husband and am going to try one pureed with some chicken gravy. I will let you know how it goes!

wish me luck!

Hugs,

Kelly

OK now here's a wacky thing for you cottage cheese is on full liquids on my surgeons instructions! I didn;t get it since he kept me on thin liquids but how wacky it is not even on mushies for you- going by my doctor it is no wonder it goes down well for you. It has lots of Protein too.

Yes- my husband made chicken stock for me so I mix it with the unjury for my afternoon protein. I ordered a tub so I can use three scoops and up the count. I just cant take 2 sweet ones any more.

Are you chewing until everything is absolutely disintegrated?

This is in the instructions from my doctor, maybe this will help:

1. Try one small bite of the new foodand chew well. Wait two minutes and if there are no problems go to step two.

2, Try 2 small bites and chew well. Wait two minutes and if no problems, step 3.

3. Try three as above and if no problems finish eating ( you may be finished at this point!)

If at any step you feel full, nauseated, or ill in any way. Stop eating and rest. Take only Clear Liquids at the next meal, and try again with blended foods and liquids at the next meal.

I am starting to hate them too. So freaking sweet!

About getting sick though-

My doctor said that if that happens dilute the protein drink more and take longer to drink it. That, of course, is counter to my approach of getting it into the smallest amount of liquid and getting it over with!

Puppylovemommy - if it is the usual protein drink it is unlikely to be sugar since most I have seen are splenda.

You might want to add a scoop of Protein Powder (unflavored) to the Soups. I am on the hunt for soup today for sure I am so over the protein shakes.

My scales were so funny today- on the digital that was 2547 yesterday- I was 248.6, on the health ometer I was 249, and on the "accurate one" I stayed at 250. I expected a gain to day because I had Unjury chicken soup yesterday and it is SO salty.

I do want to put them with the one at my doctor just for fun.Yep- It is a hoot here at my house with us all checking all three!

Split peas and Beans have ALWAYS given me gas so maybe that is the problem Or perhaps. I am so sorry you are having so much trouble, I wish it would get better for you! Maybe you needed a little longer to heal. I will know better what that feels like on Monday.

BTW do you have Harry's Hofbrau near your area? I looked up their Soups and tomorrow they have cream of chicken so I am stocking up. I am also excitedly betting the stuff for the ricotta bake....oh I just look forward to Monday so much EVEN with your tales of woe. I guess I want that taste even if it brings pain.

I am 2 weeks post-op and have had aspargus Soup and pea Soup. I was feeling lethargic so I figured it was because I needed food. They both were mashed up in the mixer and went down fine. Also, I find every morning when I come to work and have a Protein shake, I feel ill for about 10-15 minutes and then I'm fine. Today, I actually started sweating from it and then I felt fine 15 minutes later. Is this a sugar rush?

This happens to me, too! And I am 11 weeks out. EVERY single time I drink a Protein Shake or eat a Protein Bar, it happens. BUT it also happens when I eat certain yogurts. Just like you, it lasts about 15 minutes, sweats, heart racing and all, then it's gone and I feel fine. Sometimes, I'm like Kelly and get serious diarrhea from them. Who knows, but I hope this fades as time goes on.smile.gif

Don't laugh, but what is a 'thumby'?

My name for my teeny tiny thumb sized tummy. It was coined by Ms. Swizzly, whom I really enjoy on this forum.

This happens to me, too! And I am 11 weeks out. EVERY single time I drink a Protein shake or eat a Protein Bar, it happens. BUT it also happens when I eat certain yogurts. Just like you, it lasts about 15 minutes, sweats, heart racing and all, then it's gone and I feel fine. Sometimes, I'm like Kelly and get serious diarrhea from them. Who knows, but I hope this fades as time goes on.smile.gif

I am thinking this could be sensitivity to splenda- since most of them have that- is that possible? I gotta say I am getting used to the taste to a point- I certainly macked a Jello sugar free pudding cup tonight and did not care about the splenda! I still cannot abide adding it to tea. Most beverages with it need to be cold for me. I had diarrhea every day until I hit day 16 and that seems to be over (knock on wood!)

Anyway as I mentioned above, my doctor suggested if a Protein Drink is affecting you badly to dilute it more and drink it more slowly. Of course I can't wait to leave the PDs behind I know realistically I may need at least one a day until I get safely into eating my food sources.

"Thumby" lol that is so cute! I thought that you were just misspelling "tummy". I don't have the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup so I decided to play around a little in the kitchen yesterday. I mixed a cream of chicken "cup of soup" with 2.5 tbls unflavored Protein powder. I added hot Water cooled to about 125 degrees...it was great! 95 calories, 1.5 fat, 12 carbs (a little high but I needed them) and 9 grams Protein. I'm like yall, this sweet stuff is getting to me so that was a nice little break. Like you Kelly, I also cheated last night and ate some cottage cheese. It was good and didn't seem to bother my "thumby" at all.