Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Contraception After Surgery

I am 10 weeks out since surgery. I am 34 yrs old and of course child bearing age. Although, I would love to have more children, right now is not the time. It's kind of ironic because prior to surgery (last 10 years) I've dealt with infertility issues and other medical issues. I used to be on birth control for hormones but now I am being advised that it wont be effective for preventing pregnancy. Sex is very important in my marriage :wub: but I'm very paranoid even with a condom. Can any of you tell me what you are using?

We used a condom, spermicidal insert during my losing stage. Not only can hormonal bc be less effective, if you've had hormonal issues in the past, it can hinder or contribute to slow weight loss.

I'm looking into an IUD called Paraguard. It is a NON- Hormonal IUD. I will be meeting with my doctor in a week on this.

Deb.

Yeah, what's wrong with birth control? My doctor cleared my to start right after surgery and I've already partaken in some physical activity. O good Lord, don't tell me bc isn't effective.

Holly

My surgeon and PCM both agree that hormonal fluxes can impede hormonal birth control efficacy. It has nothing to do with the sleeve making it less absorbed or malabsorbed in any way.

Also, I have read time after time after about 4 years on various weight loss surgery forums that hormonal birth control can slow down or even bring weight loss to a stop. I also know 2 VSG'er down here in Florida that got pregnant within 8 post-op while on the pill after VSG. One of my RNY friends got pregnant within 9 months of her RNY with the patch.

I have the Mirena IUD..Had it two years before surgery. The hormores relased are localized in the reproductive tract....not like taking oral contraceptives. I had no problems, weight gain or other issues. Love it. My periods are just spotting at this point. The only down side is that it must be inserted while you have your period....very gross.

If you have a fairly regular cycle you can do Natural Family Planning. No hormones, pills, or inserting of a foreign object :) I also delt with infertility in the past and am wanting to avoid getting pregnant during the losing period.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

I also have Mirena IUD, and I love it. However, each person is different, and researching is key on a matter like this. There are pros and cons to every type of BC.

Because of the other Gynecological medical issues I suffer from, It was recommended that I get the Mirena IUD. This is such a conflicting situation. Because on one hand you dont want to get pregnant and on the other you dont want anything to get in your way of losing it.

Regarding the birth control. I was given 2 reasons for it not working. One is the malabsorbtion but the other was because of the sudden weight loss has thrown all of the hormones out of wack. lol. Well I am really enjoying sex even more after the weight loss, I'm hoping that getting the IUD will take away the worry that comes into mind during the act.

Good Luck to all of you on your weight loss journey. I am thankful to all of you for your advice and responses.

Hi,

I have the Paraguard IUD for the second time now. Its great, no hormones and no problems getting pregnant after its removal. I had one after my 2nd child was born in 2003, then I removed it Jan 2010 and was pregnant by March 2010. I had it replaced in Feb of this year. I also have not had any heavier periods or cramping.

I haven't seen anyone mention getting the depo shot. I get one every 3 months and other than the hassle of going to my Dr.'s office for them to inject me, I love it. No periods, and no hassle of remembering to take a pill or inserting something in me.

This is all so very interesting. I will need to talk to my NP about all this. I was on the depo for almost 2 years and I gained about 80 pounds. Add depression Meds into the mix and it was a disaster waiting to happen. I was then on the pill taking 3 months on 1 week off so only 4 periods a year. It was great. Now I had to stop my pill because of surgery and you all got me wondering if I should even start up again. hmmm....

I also have the Mirena. Like the other posters said, it does have hormones but they are not systemic. It works quickly and does not interfere with fertility once removed. I am currently in midwifery school so I have a pretty good idea about birth control methods. I would recommend AGAINST hormonal pills and the depo shot for at least three to six months after surgery. Actually, I almost always recommend against them. I would use barrier methods or the IUD.

Good luck!

Leslie

I also have the Mirena. Like the other posters said, it does have hormones but they are not systemic. It works quickly and does not interfere with fertility once removed. I am currently in midwifery school so I have a pretty good idea about birth control methods. I would recommend AGAINST hormonal pills and the depo shot for at least three to six months after surgery. Actually, I almost always recommend against them. I would use barrier methods or the IUD.

Good luck!

Leslie

Why do you not recommend the depo shot?