Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Riding in a car after surgery

How did you feel 3 days post surgery? Could you RIDE, not drive in a car for a long distance? I know that walking around to prevent clots is very important but I wanted to see how many did travel in a car, for how long and how much it bothered you. I know they tell you not to drive for a while, I assume that is because of the medication. I would like to hear your experience with riding in a car at least 3 days after surgery.

Thank you.

I had to ride home about 45 minutes after 2 nights in the hospital with my surgery. A few speed bumps I noticed and felt a little odd with, but it was no problem. I didn't feel great riding because I was a little queezy. I drove at 5 days after with absolutely no problem. I never needed pain pills and really was fine with it all. It was much easier than I had mentally prepared myself for! I know of one person who took a jeep ride after band surgery and that was a no-no for her, but I don't think you'll have much of a problem at all. good luck to you!

How did you feel 3 days post surgery? Could you RIDE, not drive in a car for a long distance? I know that walking around to prevent clots is very important but I wanted to see how many did travel in a car, for how long and how much it bothered you. I know they tell you not to drive for a while, I assume that is because of the medication. I would like to hear your experience with riding in a car at least 3 days after surgery.

Thank you.

I'm glad you posted to this because I'm not relishing the idea of a 300 mile ride home from the hospital. There is no way I'll be able to drive soon-ish either, my Mustang is a 5 speed and the clutch kills me. Sucks being short and having to stretch.

Renee`

Take whatever they give you for anti-nausea and sleep! Take a little baby cooler with some Jello and lots of Water and sip and sleep! Dfinitely have a little pillow with you!

I'm glad you posted to this because I'm not relishing the idea of a 300 mile ride home from the hospital. There is no way I'll be able to drive soon-ish either, my Mustang is a 5 speed and the clutch kills me. Sucks being short and having to stretch.

Renee`

I had no problem with riding or driving. However I didn't go anywhere far but I don't think it would have been a problem. I was driving by day 4, which was more about me feeling like I wanted to get out. I just went to the grocery but I got out. Clots are a concern though and if you do have to take a long drive, its important to stop every hour and get out and walk around.

My dr. says I can drive after I stop the pain meds. The hospital is 1 1/2 hours away and I am to stop and stretch half way home (being sleeved today) . :D

Kelly

My ride home from the hospital was a little uncomfortable, but no pain. 2 days after that, we drove to my parents' house 4 hours away and I didn't have any issues. I just sipped Isopure and Water all the way there and made sure I had my little pillow to put in between my belly and seat belt. And we also made a couple stops along the way to take little breaks.

The only issue I had around this time was when walking, that bottom left incision hurt at first, but would go away after a little activity.

My hospital ride was 2 hours to get home on day 2. I slept the whole way with no issue. On day 8, I rode for five hours with no problem at all.

My surgery was done 4 hours from home.... The ride was fine though I was pretty sore afterwards. All the vibrations and bumps get to you after a while. We made sure to stop every hour and I walked for a bit.

Thanks again to all that replied and to Kemo for thinking of this topic. It's really helpful for those of us that haven't gone yet, but will be soon. I'm planning on loose fitting clothing, a pillow and bottled Water. We'll have to stop several times, like you said but hopefully not because I get the poops or something. That'd be a crappy ride home. I swear that wasn't an intended pun...at first. LOL

Renee`

I can only speak for myself. I traveled to TX for my surgery. (i flew) I have family there. Surgery was in Dallas, my dad lives 3 hours from there. Surgery was Friday at 7 AM, I was discharged Saturday at 5 PM. I traveled the three hours, with instructions to stop every 45 minutes to an hour, get out and walk around the car. I felt fine, I slept most of the say. Have a travel pillow to put between your tummy and seatbelt. A week later I traveled back to Dallas. I also had a two week visit. So we had another week to 'kill'. We left Dallas and traveled 5.5 hours to Galveston...nothing like sea air to help recoup!! Again, we stopped every 45 minutes and I walked around the car or convenience store and I got out and stretched my legs. By then I really felt good! We are currently living in WI - I did NOT drive back home with my husband, I flew, but drivng while we were in TX was not a problem. My surgeon WAS adament about getting out and walking though. I started driving after I got back home.

Thank you.

I rode 2 hours back to San Diego 3 days after surgery and once we got to San Diego, we went shopping for about 6 hours at the mall! That tells you how I was feeling. No problems at all and only minimal soreness. Of course everyone is different, just keep your pain meds on board and you should be fine. I preferred to take non-narcotic pain meds after leaving the hospital because I don't like the loopy feeling and can't function very well with it and so I had Toradol and it did the trick without the side effects.smile.gif