Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm going to hide the scale

I said I wasn't going to weigh myself for the first month...but then I couldn't resist...I've weighed myself every day multiple times per day. It's INSANE. I'M INSANE!

So Hubby is going to hide the scales from me and only bring one out at my 1 month surgiversary.

Well, this post isn't going to help much :lol: -- I weight myself at night because I'm usually 1.4 - 1.6 lbs. heavier than I am in the morning. And then I weigh myself every morning. EVERY MORNING. I don't think it's a bad idea to weigh as long as you keep in mind that the scale does NOT define your journey ;)

Yeah, I have to steer clear of the scale or I would become obsessed. I'm going to let the mirror and my clothes do the talking for the first couple months. THEN I'll deal with the numbers! :)

I am another one that weighs myself everyday, twice a day. I dont think that I am obsessed, but it is interesting to me to see the varying numbers sometimes between morning and night. My morning weight is the weight I use to keep track of my weightloss. My relationship with the scale has been so negative for so many years it's nice to see how our relationship is improving considering the numbers are going down. :D

I stoped weighing bc it just stayed the same for too long. I think I might weigh every morning after surgery bc it will be so exciting to see it change.I think it's nice that your hubby is involved. Keep that up. If He wants to bring the scale out, llet him do it bc it involves him in your happy success. It helps me when my hubby is involved.

I stoped weighing bc it just stayed the same for too long. I think I might weigh every morning after surgery bc it will be so exciting to see it change.I think it's nice that your hubby is involved. Keep that up. If He wants to bring the scale out, llet him do it bc it involves him in your happy success. It helps me when my hubby is involved.

If you really do plan to weigh every morning after surgery, don't be surprised if you see that it doesn't change or even goes up. Your body goes through a lot of adjustments and takes on a lot of Fluid during that time which really wreaks havoc on the numbers.

I've been doing the same thing (weighing every day) since I started my liquid diet. I got so frustrated when it didn't go down AT ALL for about four days before my pre-op appointment, and then BANG - that morning it dropped about 4 pounds.

I promised myself that I would lay off the scale for the first full week after surgery, figuring that the results wouldn't be too good with Fluid retention and bloating...I lasted about four days lol

I think if you're in the right frame of mind about it and not obsessive, it's not a bad thing. I'd prefer to back it off to every few days or weekly, but right now it's still hard to resist because it's been so long since I actually cared about it, and the scale was moving in a good direction!

If you really do plan to weigh every morning after surgery, don't be surprised if you see that it doesn't change or even goes up. Your body goes through a lot of adjustments and takes on a lot of Fluid during that time which really wreaks havoc on the numbers.

Ok. Thanks! I am sure I will be on here complaining about that soon like everybody else, but I will keep your advise in mind

I know the dilemma. When I lost 70 lbs year before last, it was the love/hate relationship with the scale that motivated me and then was the nail in my coffin so to speak. I hit a HUGE stall and my daily weigh-ins started telling me it was pointless... then I finally believed them.

Y'all are making me think about my scale plans. I do know that I will be taking measurements also. I think I will do something like this.

I will take measurements by tape and scale on the day I start my 2 week liquid pre-op diet. This will be it for pre-op. Next encounter won't be until morning of Surgery.

Morning of surgery I will take tape/scale measurements. From there out, I will weigh weekly and tape every fourth Friday.

I want to only ever see happy numbers from there on out and I know how much the scale fluctuates.

I'm 11 months out and have weighed myself every single day, twice a day since i reached goal. (at five months out) You just have to know, you ARE going to go up and down, and you MUST deal with it. That's part of our journey!! If you are doing what you are suppose to do, you are going to lose weight....but the ups and downs are normal. Since reaching goal, my night time weigh in is a game, of course I weigh more, so I "guess" what I'll weigh in the morning! Crazy, maybe, but it's fun, my husband plays some times too!! :D

I said I wasn't going to weigh myself for the first month...but then I couldn't resist...I've weighed myself every day multiple times per day. It's INSANE. I'M INSANE!

So Hubby is going to hide the scales from me and only bring one out at my 1 month surgiversary.

You are so right. I started at 260 and after the 2-week liquid diet went down to 247.4 the morning of surgery. I had some complications (spleen attached to stomach, pretty uncommon), required several transfusions and the day I got home from the hospital I weighed 260.4! Even though I understood it intellectually, it was a bummer. At least the Fluid weight seems to be coming off pretty quickly.

You are all right about the "ups and downs" on the numbers. I weigh twice a day also, but use my morning weight for tracking my weight loss. For the past month I have had three separate episodes of the scale going up like 3lbs not even during "that time" and going back down to the original weight, losing a few more pounds and before you know it "up" again to a previous number by a couple of pounds! I know that I will keep weighing daily. I don't have anyone to hide the scales and if I get rid of them, I am pretty sure that I will run out and purchase some more! LOL YES THIS IS A JOURNEY........I JUST HOPE THAT I SURVIVE IT :D!!!