Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Band Crew!!!!!

It sounds like everyone is doing well that has been banded in August. I am four days out and scared to death. I pre-registered at the hospital yesterday and the cashier just ranted and raved about how GOOD my surgeon is. That did make me feel a little better, but then I got home and started reading all the INAMED brochures and my surgeons brochures and started to freak out again! I guess I should stop reading until AFTER the surgery.

I went post-op grocery shopping last night. I am on Clear Liquids for 2 weeks after so you can imagine what my cart looked like (broth, gatorade, Jello, and fruit juice). I am sure the cashier thought I was crazy.

Continued good luck to all!

Boo Boo Kitty-

Ignore this jerk. I would have told him to shut up and kiss my ample behind in no uncertain terms. How dare he make any assumptions about you and your eating habits? IF and when you see him next-ignore him-sit on the other side of the room If he persists-go to the nurse and or doc an complain about him. sheesh what an ass.

Losin' It-

Stop reading everything! LOL! No matter how many times people tell you it will be fine, you will still be nervous. This is completely natural. When I got completely freaked out I would look through the before and after pics here at LBT. And just know in your heart we are so proud of you!!!!!

7 days out. I didn't take any percocet yesterday at all. liquid tylenol seems to take the edge off. I am still sore esp on the left side but I cannot say I am "in pain". Black and blue going down fast.

Sick of sweet drinks-am on my full liquid Soups with skim milk and still on CIB. Want to chew something!!! LOL! I tried Campbells Chedder cheese Soup that I usually cook with. It was awesome!

I drove to the dry cleaners and stopped at the market. It felt wierd. I got very tired and fell asleep when I got home. I think it is as much the percocets as the surgerycoupled with not eating. I made sure I didn't try to drive until I hadn't taken any all night and all day.

I was going to try and go into work a little today-we'll see. I am going a little stir crazy.

Everyone getting their band this week---Good Luck!!!!!

BooBoo, that guy was an ass, ignore him. Stay positive and you'll see the results, I'm sure. Great job so far.:clap2:

Losin' it ~ I can totally relate!! My date is Tuesday and I'm starting to panic a little. LOL!! I've become addicted to reading everything on this board. I am staying away from the "scary" thread, like "Complications" :) etc. until after surgery. Stay positive!!!!!

I'm starting to get the jitters too...i'll join the banded a week from today. I went in for my pre-op testing this morning and left there with a fluttery stomach....guess it's really hitting me that I'm actually going to do this! I've been addicted to reading everything on this site too...i was on here all day yesterday....good thing the boss is on vaca this week :)

Good luck to all....

I was in the same state before the surgery. Once I got to the hospital, I realized that these people really do know what they're doing, and they did a great job for me. I think I'll go back to work tomorrow at least for half a day. (Surgery was Monday.) Even if there were complications, the medical staff know how to deal with them and get you out of there in one piece.

To allay your anxieties, I'd suggest that you look at the before and after photos!

Yesterday was the first day I felt normal. I can eat soft foods and have moved off the totally liquid diet. I have no gas, a little belching, and no pain except sensitivity around the port area. Can easily turn over, get off the couch, and have returned to regular exercise. I still cannot sleep on my stomach. The key is to keep moving, drink lots of Water, and eat/drink Protein if you feel weak. Unjury supplement was the key to getting sufficient protein when I was on a totally liquid diet.

I have lost 11 pounds since surgery on August 2, 18 including the pre-op diet. Look up, life will get easier!

I was banded a week ago today and I'm feeling really good. I'm bored as heck of the liquid diet already though. I'm sick of sweet stuff and I want some cottage cheese or mashed potatoes!!!!

I haven't had loratab or tylenol in 2 days now and I don't feel that I need it at all. I have been sleeping on my stomach with no problems. My port was placed in the front too so I was a little worried about that, but I keep waking up laying on my stomach.

Well, all done! Went great except for waking up in the or barfing and the 720 bucks worth of persciptions! Feel pretty ok. The gas pain is unreal. Have had gas ex but it doesnt help because it isnt in my intestines yet. The pain relievers are great. Have had no problems drinking or having my protien shakes. In fact cant tell much difference! Thanks for all the thoughts!

I'm starting to get the jitters too...i'll join the banded a week from today. I went in for my pre-op testing this morning and left there with a fluttery stomach....guess it's really hitting me that I'm actually going to do this! I've been addicted to reading everything on this site too...i was on here all day yesterday....good thing the boss is on vaca this week :)

Good luck to all....

I had the terrible jitters and was a mess a week before, read books ( historical romances about 10 of them) remember, these people, nurses, doctors ect.. bring people back from horrible circumstances. They know what they are doing. My best friend went through brain surgery, and lived. They perform heart operations, you will be fine, have a little faith in your doctor and your team staff, they won't let you down. Read some books - penny dreadfulls with little or no plot, and try not to think about it, it will be over with before you know it. A woman in Boston just had her conjoined twins seperated, if they can do that, they can slip a band around a stomach :P - all will be well-

Caroline

banded 8/2/06

Dr. Vernon

Brigham & Womens

I am back from the dead. I had my surgery on 8/4 and it well pretty good. While they were in me they found a rather larger hiatel hernia much to my surprise. I had not had any symptoms which the doctor found strange. He was gracious enough to repair it and I awoke from anesthesia. Talk about no time to sleep! The nurse immediately got me up to walk to the bathroom. She then lead me down to x-ray for a quick barium swallow test. Being in the radiology field, I was familiar as to what to do. Funny thing did happen. A former co-worker was the x-ray tech. Can't hide out in the medical field! I hate to admit it, but that barium tasted soooo good coming off chicken broth for 7 dys. I was released shortly thereafter and went home. The door to Hades creeps open....I was thinking when I got home I would sleep. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! :omg: My upper body was being invaded by air pockets. There was no relief!!! I did not finally pass out until 5am that morning. I could not lay down at all. The more I walked, the worse it got. Tried propping up with pillows, nope! Talk about misery. The nurse at the surgery center told that there was nothing to take for that particular pain. I knew from being medical that the air in my belly would pass out the other end, but where would the air in my abdominal cavity go? It had to be absorbed. Let me tell you. It is day 7 and I am still in misery. I have been popping phazyme tablets like candy and it is not helping. The incisions are great. The port is a little sore. I am on Toradol because Vicodin makes me loopy. I can't lay on my left side due to the port position. That air is trapped all along my left neck and upper left arm. It feels like when someone gives you a massage and they hit that "knot" and squeeze it to death. It literally takes my breath away. Speaking of breathing...guess what happens when you breathe? Your lungs rise. Guess what happens when my lungs rise? It traps that air pocket!! :faint: I hope no one else has had to deal with this problem. My question is how much longer. At night during my rest, I can hear that air moving inside my belly. It is different from being inside the intestines like normal. Wakes me completely up and I end up walking which only makes it worse, but I have to do something. My question is if they can put this air IN so easily, why can't they suck it out like the dentist does when done? :cry Dr. C, if you are out there, answer that one. I did lose 10lbs on that 7-day pre-op diet and I am down another 5 since last friday so of course I am pleased :nervous . I can't wait to get to mushies though. Just wanted to share my experience and hope that someone can give me some advice on how to get rid of this air in my body because I don't like it anymore....Thanks guys! :help:

I was banded on the 8th. I about 95% normal. My only complaint is the gas. Bubble, bubble, bubble I have not really had any pain. It just felt like I did a million sit ups. I have not tried to sleep on my side yet. I move slow just to be cautious. I don't want to hurt my band.

Does anyone know when we can pick up heavy things?

The strangest thing, is that I am not hungry and have to force myself to eat. I know this will not last, but it is a first for me.

Up and About-Post Op day 1

Smoooothe procedure!! Had all bloodwork, EKG, etc. yesterday on the way from the airport to hotel. Met a couple of peopled walking around post-op. Slept well and the very nice Lucerna hotel, then into surgery. More sleeping, then magically appeared in a new room. Slept some more, then took a couple of turns around the clinic. Chatted, walked, slept again, and back to the hotel the next am. Some abdominal discomfort...like too many crunches...and some lost gas bubbles wandering about...other that that, ready to go to the mall. Which is what I'm going to do now! More later...taking questions all.