Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know 3 and 1/2 weeks is still early but I go all day without eating because it is beginning to make me feel somewhat bulimic from the constant running to the restroom after a meal. I know the Soups are not enough but wonder what else can I do to begin getting more than 20 or 30 grams of Protein or 4-5 cups of Water? I saw the Protein Shots at GNC and Wal-Mart but my next appt to my doc isn't til the 16th. So I am asking if you guys could help me. I know it takes time but I am worried and do not want to alarm my fam or friends. They all are finally accepting wls as a benefit and not a problem and if I say something I feel they will once again say it was a bad idea.

Here is a typical daily routine for me:

6am : Wake up. Try to drink a 1/2 cup of water and take multi-Vitamins

8am: Shower. Another 1/2 cup of water. 1/2 of an egg

10am: Work. Mix of water and juice in in 16 oz cup of ice I sip on for a while

12pm: 1 chicken strip or another form of grilled/baked chicken. (always comes back up)

2pm: few sips of water

4pm: few sips of water and a 8 teaspoons of chicken noodle Soup broth

6pm: 1/2 cup of water and 3 tablespoons of tuna (usually comes back up)

8pm: 1/2 cup of water and up to half a hot dog and 2-3 cubes of cheddar cheese

It really is taking all I have to do that and people think me owning a restaurant will help me eat but it actually does the opposite. I am never hungry and have to force myself to eat but I feel like I am always thirsty and can not get enough down. It still is harder to drink plain water than sugarfree drinks but I stay with water because of the artificial sweetners.

I told my surgeon to make my sleeve small as possible and he said it will hold no more than 3-4 oz when healed but I am wondering if I made a good choice since I never had a major appetite or ate more than twice a day. Should I just add the protein shots for now and keep working my way up or keep forcing myself to try to eat real meat and chance getting sick? IS it normal not to want to eat at a month out?

Any replies will be greatly appreciated

I was super excited to start eating meats but my body did not like them very much so I had to revert back to a liquid diet. I was eating Split Pea and Ham Soup as well as Bean and Bacon soup. I could also tolerate Cottage cheese. There is also Greek Yogurt that is high in Protein. Protein shakes and Protein Bars are also a good way to get your numbers up. String cheese - is an easy thing to have on hand too. I also used to drink milk - it has Calcium, Vit D and Protein.< /p>

Hope this will help you - I had to back off for about two weeks before I could eat meat and now I still have to make sure I do not eat meat too late in the evening. Hang in there! It is a little frustrating in the beginning you will find what works for you just keep trying. ;)

I was super excited to start eating meats but my body did not like them very much so I had to revert back to a liquid diet. I was eating Split Pea and Ham Soup as well as Bean and Bacon soup. I could also tolerate Cottage cheese. There is also Greek Yogurt that is high in Protein. Protein shakes and Protein Bars are also a good way to get your numbers up. String cheese - is an easy thing to have on hand too. I also used to drink milk - it has Calcium, Vit D and Protein.

Hope this will help you - I had to back off for about two weeks before I could eat meat and now I still have to make sure I do not eat meat too late in the evening. Hang in there! It is a little frustrating in the beginning you will find what works for you just keep trying. ;)

Thx for the encouraging words. I really don't like cottage cheese and have not tried the greek yogurt only because the plain did not agree with me but will try some tomorrow. Cheese is great but milk will never be my friend now that it has to be skim or lowfat. I can't get used to the taste. I would rather Water down whole milk. Frustrating is to say the least! I want to eat and not feel like I have a eating disorder :( I know it's the beginning but this is really harder than the pre-op diet or even letting go of my cheesecake and other favs. I have no desire to eat anything anymore and really would rather drink than eat because of the side effects. I will give it a few more weeks and if things have not changed, I will make an appt to a nutrtionist.

Maybe you're pushing the solids a little too quickly, I was told no chicken until 6 months out. I'm not sleeved yet, but just based upon my list of approved foods for after surgery, it seems like you should still be barely introducing mushies (i.e. yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs). I think you can even have things like oatmeal with a little bit of milk as well. My friend who just had the surgery was told by her surgeon that she has to wait until week 3 to start yogurt and can't have any meat until week 4, and when she starts meat it's only moist fish and a tiny bit of it. If you are throwing up food maybe try backing off of those foods and waiting to try them again for another couple of weeks. Stick with the things you know don't cause you to vomit.

Hope that helps a little.

Braums fat free milk tastes great and has

Low Fat Milk 1% (Braum's)Serving Size: 1 cup, Calories: 120, Fat: 2.5g, Carbs: 15g, Protein: 10g Chocolate Frozen Yogurt (Braum's)Serving Size: 1/2 cup, Calories: 90, Fat: 2g, Carbs: 18g, Protein: 4g Most greek yogurts have 10 or more grams of Protein as well as braums yogurt. Peas have protein lots of it. deli meats budding 10 calories per slice and Protein. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/brand/list this is a great tool to use and I add sugar free koolade to every glass of Water I drink. EAS advant Edge shakes Atkins shakes all low cal and lots of Protein. I m fighting kidney stones and having to take lots of supplements because I just could not eat. I'm doing better, but I make protein and water a priority now. Oh eat mushy foods. Puree it in the blender. The magic bullet is my best friend. Good luck

If I'm reading you correctly, you DO keep down the hot dog and cheese? If that is the case, then eat those for now. And try to find other things that stay down. With the amounts we can eat, there is no reason to be all fat-free with everything. I don't use skim milk or fat-free anything (not much available here anyhow), and I still struggle to get above 800 cals for the day.

I also have a hard time with Water and with artificial sweeteners (although I can force down anything, I just do it), but I found that watered-down juice also works well. Maybe try that?

When you DO find that something stays down, then use that for now. Above all the rules and guidelines is the common sense that says, I have to have some calories, some Protein and some liquid -- what does it take to get me to that goal?

You can do it!! :)

I too was surprised at doing chicken at only 3 weeks post-op? I would stick with mushy/pureed foods and liquids. You can still be very swollen on the inside at only 3 weeks out!

I'm just over 2 weeks out and on my soft diet for the next 2 weeks. I think you may need to moisten the chicken that you're eating (think broth, gravy, etc) on top of pureeing it or chewing the heck out of it. I've been eating chicken breast smothered in gravy for the last 2 days and have no problem getting it down. The first day I puree'd it to baby food consistency, but now I'm just chewing it to basically nothing and then swallowing. I have yet to throw up anything and after doing that for years with the band, I'm doing everything I can to avoid an episode.

Hey Ms. Lady,

We were sleeved the same day and I'm not allowed whole chicken yet. I'm on purees only. Here's my typical day:

start the day with greek yogurt with Torani SF peach Syrup

then I'll have some kind of Soup (I look for soup with higher Protein so it usually has some meat or Beans in it)

I'll do a 1/2 C of Protein shake (powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein mixed with 1% milk and a Tarani SF syrup)- some days I'll do 2 of these

then I'll do refried Beans, or another soup or mac and cheese or scrambled eggs. As a treat I do Jell-o SF pudding cup.

Everything I eat is pureed in the blender, I have stopped straining this week and I hope to move to lunchmeats next week. I'm tolerating everything very well. If you have vomiting, you may want to go to purees, it seems to work well for me.

I have noticed this week though, I'm sick of purees and I'm looking for more foods that are naturally pureed, like the refried beans or mashed potatoes (I haven't done mashed pot but they are sounding good right now!)

Good luck! I think if you scale it back a little you will be fine.

As others said, chicken might be hard for u now.. I rely on fish.. do u like fish? lots of protien in it and u can flake it in some white cheese to make it easier to go down and tastier:)

I am sorry you are going through all of this, but can I give u 2 suggestion from my band and sleeve experience so far..

NEVER take Vitamins on empty stomach, whenever I Do that I feel like I wanna vomit when I Start eating next.

try fitting your Vitamin after ur first real (puree - mashed) food not just drinks

my second suggestion is to ask ur doctor for anti vomiting meds.. they really help.

Does the food come up cause it feels lke it was too much or are u nauseated?

I know u will be feeling way better soon! just explore more food and introduce it to ur diet.

how is ur energy level? u say u arent hungry and thats normal my friend but do u feel like u are out of energy? that when u need to really eat.

I hope u feel better soon and I know if u just push urself further with more food varieties and puree recipe u will be feeling great in no time:)

You're only 3 weeks out - take it super easy on your tummy. I agree with everyone - stick with Protein shakes and puree for now. No more super solids - they are hard for your stomach to break down which might be triggering the rejection. Also, Multivitamins with no food can also make you super nauseous. I started keeping a blog with my favorite recipes so far (only liquids and purees for me still and my surgery was the same day as yours).

Here is my link:

http://beachwithmybabies.blogspot.com/?zx=30715bcb23b40bf

I also shop online at a store with very yummy Protein Shakes. Here is the link:

http://mydietshopz.com/shopbybrand.html

The shakes have aspartame, but the taste makes up for the chemical. They are the only shakes I can stomach and they taste like desert. I can't stand any of the whey shakes from the stores - all gross to me. Each has Vitamins and minerals built into the shake (made for bariatric patients) and 15 grams of Protein. I mix them with 1/2 a cup of Water and 1/2 a cup of 1% milk. Try just doing 3 or 4 of those a day with some other more solid Proteins that you can tolerate. So far I'm able to get in 60-70 grams a day without too much trouble.

I too am struggling with Water. I'm finally up to 8 cups a day (64 oz) but I work at it ALL dang day for the past 4 days. I'm still in the hole and might have to go in for an IV of fluids today. You might want to go into the emergency room and get fluids because it sounds like you're very dehydrated. That can also add to major nausea and that not being hungry feeling. I know it might seem fussy, but seriously, you need to go in for your health. I HATE the idea of going in, but I know I could get hospitalized if I let it go to far and I refuse to let my nay-sayer friends just be smug when I have to get hospitalized - so I'm getting an IV in secret!

I tried some oatmeal this morning and it was a bit too heavy I think but it stayed down. Only got 3 tbsps in but then I tried my Vitamins as suggested. So now I am headed off to work and have packed a baggy of cheese to snack on today. I will try the yogurt for lunch and add a hotdog for snack. I am drinking my Water now and will take 2 more bottles with me. I really don't think I am bad enough to need an IV but I am dehydrated. My doctor told me that I should be urinating 4 times a day and I have only gone 2 times a day since surgery. Luckily I am not tired (anymore than normal) that is why I am asking my friends here what to do. I know once I get that bad, I may have done damage and am trying to prevent that.

I have read and truly thank you all for such good advice! I will use it all and hope it helps me stay out of the hospital. I read others post-op diets and I think mine was a bit too agressive so I will try to do my own to benefit my stomach. chicken will be limited and I will stay with Soups and soft things more for a few more days/weeks. Well I'm off to work, everyone have a blessed day!!!

Hey! I agree that you are probably pushing solids too quick. You said you didn't like cottage cheese. I don't like it cold either, but I add it to Soup or a casserole and it melts like regular cheese and makes things more saucy ( saucy helps get it down). Try making reallly really thick soup. It'll help get you into the next phase. If you are getting bored with the Soups, add different spices to change it up. Taco spice and extra cheese ( plus cottage cheese) for Mexican. Add a scoop of chicken Unjury and your looking at LOTS of Protein in one drink. If oatmeal is too much for your tummy, try cream of wheat and add some vanilla Protein Powder to it. Just experiment more to find the things that will stay down. Good luck!!

Hi Ms. Lady - Welcome to the 'losers side'!! First of all, at 3 weeks out, some of the things you are eating may be a bit early, I.E. hot dogs. Yikes!! I'm 11 months out and still haven't had one, mainly because i just don't think they are a wise choice, but that's just me.

At 3.5 weeks I was eating sliced deli meat, mashed tuna with a 2 TB of lite mayo mixed in a full can. Greek yogurt with sugar free jelly and maybe a Stivia mixed in. A half egg with about a fourth of an oz of a 2% cheese melted in. I liked steamed shrimp, good Protein. I call cottage cheese the Breakfast of champions!!

I did use the Protein bullets for a couple of months. (GNC - IDS brand, has 42 or 43 grams per) Only 3.5 oz, so you don't have to spend all morning nursing one. A couple of sips here and there and you are done!

Take it easy on the new little tummy. You are still healing!!! I drink 8 oz of skim milk per day, I have from the beginning....that gives you 16 oz of protein and liquid, a win/win!!! Oh and some Calcium too!!! Good luck!!!

NtvTxn

I know 3 and 1/2 weeks is still early but I go all day without eating because it is beginning to make me feel somewhat bulimic from the constant running to the restroom after a meal. I know the Soups are not enough but wonder what else can I do to begin getting more than 20 or 30 grams of protein or 4-5 cups of Water? I saw the Protein Shots at GNC and Wal-Mart but my next appt to my doc isn't til the 16th. So I am asking if you guys could help me. I know it takes time but I am worried and do not want to alarm my fam or friends. They all are finally accepting wls as a benefit and not a problem and if I say something I feel they will once again say it was a bad idea.

Here is a typical daily routine for me:

6am : Wake up. Try to drink a 1/2 cup of Water and take multi-Vitamins

8am: Shower. Another 1/2 cup of water. 1/2 of an egg

10am: Work. Mix of water and juice in in 16 oz cup of ice I sip on for a while

12pm: 1 chicken strip or another form of grilled/baked chicken. (always comes back up)

2pm: few sips of water

4pm: few sips of water and a 8 teaspoons of chicken noodle Soup broth

6pm: 1/2 cup of water and 3 tablespoons of tuna (usually comes back up)

8pm: 1/2 cup of water and up to half a hot dog and 2-3 cubes of cheddar cheese

It really is taking all I have to do that and people think me owning a restaurant will help me eat but it actually does the opposite. I am never hungry and have to force myself to eat but I feel like I am always thirsty and can not get enough down. It still is harder to drink plain water than sugarfree drinks but I stay with water because of the artificial sweetners.

I told my surgeon to make my sleeve small as possible and he said it will hold no more than 3-4 oz when healed but I am wondering if I made a good choice since I never had a major appetite or ate more than twice a day. Should I just add the protein shots for now and keep working my way up or keep forcing myself to try to eat real meat and chance getting sick? IS it normal not to want to eat at a month out?

Any replies will be greatly appreciated