Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week 3 days out and I ate some crackers......IDIOT!!!

I freaking ate some crackers. They are these organic wheat crackers that bsically melt in your mouth but I am still mad at myself. My self control sucks. I have bee eating in small portions...pudding, icecream, purred egg sald, and some cream Soups. All listed on my second week diet, I see so many people staying on liquids fo weeks. I hate that every plan is different.

My main thing is I feel fine. Like I never had surgery....then I let stupidity take over.

Don't beat yourself up over it. When you're recovering you have these guidelines but it's your stomach that essentially tells you what you can and cannot eat.

After recovery, then Yah you really need to stategize your eating for optimal weight loss and avoid carbs, but while you're recovering, if your stomach hasn't complained about it I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just don't push it.

The liquid diet sucks, I was on it for two weeks after. but so many people are on it for much longer. When you are really able to eat food and start feeling full with a few bites of Protein you will have more self control. For now don't be so hard on yourself, I used to just chew food for the flavor and spit it out. Good luck, what are some things your able to eat?

The liquid diet sucks, I was on it for two weeks after. but so many people are on it for much longer. When you are really able to eat food and start feeling full with a few bites of Protein you will have more self control. For now don't be so hard on yourself, I used to just chew food for the flavor and spit it out. Good luck, what are some things your able to eat?

I actually was going to just spit he crackers out but when they melted in my mouth I figured Id be fine. I had a band revision to sleeve so I should no better. Im not worried about carbs right now but I will change it up to a more healthy diet when I can eat regular food. I just dont want to hurt myself. My soft meals have been 1/4-1/2 cup. I still eat too damn fast too. I need to get a grip.

When you get to eating meat, when you start centering your meals around Protein you will HAVE RESTRICTION. You will be suprised how different solids feel. Now wrap your head around the end goal and get all the carbs out of the house!

Your post op diet includes ice cream?

Your post op diet includes ice cream?

Not on a list...just that its soft. My wife made homemade icecream for a Palm Sunday dinner at my aunts and I ate some. Bad...I know.

I too cheated. I ate a Protein Bar, which was very soft, last week and I'll be 2 weeks out since surgery tomorrow. I am not drinking Protein Shakes or using the powder at all, I don't like the grit. So I too am eating ice cream. Mabye 1/4 cup a day. And I don't feel guilty one bit, plus it taste good. I also ate a butter cookie that was also very soft and dissolved before I swallowed. I am also still on soft food, Soup broths, yogurt, and twice a day I eat 2 tablespoons of mashed potatoes with about 2 teaspoons of chicken broth added to thin them out as well as give them some flavor. I look at it this way - I went a drastic route and had most of my stomach removed. It will never grow back. That means I will be on a diet for the rest of my life whether I want to be or not. I am looking forward to sitting down to a meal that I will actually have to chew. I can't wait till I am able to eat a steak, bbq ribs, or even a cheesburger, knowing that since I had this drastic surgery for a reason, I probably won't be able to finish anything and I'll be loosing weight anyway. Of course It will come to an end, and if I still want to loose more weight, I will diet to do so. But for now, I will eat soft foods or foods that will digest easily, then moving on to soft/solids, then solids, and eventually a real lifestyle. So don't beat yourself up over a cracker or two, especially since they dissolved into a liquid anyway. Good luck to us.

I too cheated. I ate a Protein bar, which was very soft, last week and I'll be 2 weeks out since surgery tomorrow. I am not drinking Protein shakes or using the powder at all, I don't like the grit. So I too am eating ice cream. Mabye 1/4 cup a day. And I don't feel guilty one bit, plus it taste good. I also ate a butter cookie that was also very soft and dissolved before I swallowed. I am also still on soft food, Soup broths, yogurt, and twice a day I eat 2 tablespoons of mashed potatoes with about 2 teaspoons of chicken broth added to thin them out as well as give them some flavor. I look at it this way - I went a drastic route and had most of my stomach removed. It will never grow back. That means I will be on a diet for the rest of my life whether I want to be or not. I am looking forward to sitting down to a meal that I will actually have to chew. I can't wait till I am able to eat a steak, bbq ribs, or even a cheesburger, knowing that since I had this drastic surgery for a reason, I probably won't be able to finish anything and I'll be loosing weight anyway. Of course It will come to an end, and if I still want to loose more weight, I will diet to do so. But for now, I will eat soft foods or foods that will digest easily, then moving on to soft/solids, then solids, and eventually a real lifestyle. So don't beat yourself up over a cracker or two, especially since they dissolved into a liquid anyway. Good luck to us.

Unfortunately I don't think it is that simple. Carbs like ice cream cake, Cookies, etc. slide right down through our sleeve rapidly and easily, leaving you hungry for more, and it will require work bot the lose enough of your excess weight and to maintain your weight loss if you do meet your goal.The fact they dissolve into liquid is the problem! The sleeve is not going to automatically guarantee that you lose weight and keep it off, unfortunately. My doctor, who has done the sleeve for nine years, says there is a window of from 18 months to 2 years for losing weight and that the people who are most likely to meet goal are those who count carbs strictly and keep their calorie intake low during that window of time. After that you have to be vigilant for the rest of your life because it is too easy to eat around the sleeve and gain weight again. Most of us have eating patterns involving emotions as as well as addiction to food and the people who know to really work the sleeve and learn how to deal with those emotions and addictions replacing them with healthy things are the ones who will maintain their weight for life. To me- and I am saying this because I care about you and everyone here- it is a warning sign to be anticipating the foods that may have helped you get to the point of needing to have drastic surgery such as the VSG. For me- I have to stay away from my trigger foods or I will soon be down the wrong path again. The sleeve is not a magic bullet that will take the wieght off because of your small stomach. Would that it was so easy!!!

Unfortunately I don't think it is that simple. Carbs like ice cream cake, Cookies, etc. slide right down through our sleeve rapidly and easily, leaving you hungry for more, and it will require work bot the lose enough of your excess weight and to maintain your weight loss if you do meet your goal.The fact they dissolve into liquid is the problem! The sleeve is not going to automatically guarantee that you lose weight and keep it off, unfortunately. My doctor, who has done the sleeve for nine years, says there is a window of from 18 months to 2 years for losing weight and that the people who are most likely to meet goal are those who count carbs strictly and keep their calorie intake low during that window of time. After that you have to be vigilant for the rest of your life because it is too easy to eat around the sleeve and gain weight again. Most of us have eating patterns involving emotions as as well as addiction to food and the people who know to really work the sleeve and learn how to deal with those emotions and addictions replacing them with healthy things are the ones who will maintain their weight for life. To me- and I am saying this because I care about you and everyone here- it is a warning sign to be anticipating the foods that may have helped you get to the point of needing to have drastic surgery such as the VSG. For me- I have to stay away from my trigger foods or I will soon be down the wrong path again. The sleeve is not a magic bullet that will take the wieght off because of your small stomach. Would that it was so easy!!!

I agree with most of what you say. I think as long as I am on liquids or soft foods only for now, and since I'm not drinking milk shakes with Protein added, or able to eat bread, Pasta, rice, carbs etc, or meat, I am getting very few calories in and loosing weight, I'm not going to feel guilty for eating a little ice cream. There's going to come a time when I am able to eat real food like meat, along with salads, fresh fruits and vegetables to get in my Proteins as well as a balanced diet which will fill me up. But for now I'm still on bland soft foods and hungry every hour and a half. So I will be eating my 1/4 cup of ice cream a day and not feel guilty, and neither should anybody else who thinks they cheated because they ate a few crackers. This is going to be a lifelong way of eating and food is not meant to be a reward or punishment. Good luck with your surgery and your weight loss. biggrin.gif

I tried frozen lowcarb yogurt one day and it made me sick. I didn't feel guilty, it *tasted* great, but my sleeve did not like it one bit.

I could never moralize at anyone for the stuff they put in their mouths and swallow. I've been so desperate for carbs before I've eaten like, a jar of frosting with a spoon; I could easily suck down a whole pizza I ordered for myself. I didn't even feel sick afterwards -- I didn't even feel *full* half the time. Since I was a kid I've had an Iron stomach and could basically eat like a goat.

What I want to say though is that the soft diet isn't for weight loss, it's to protect your staple line since you just got your innards cut in half and stapled back together with a fancy gun. Let me say that another way; PROTECT YOUR STAPLE LINE. Think of it as like a seawall or a Maginot line that keeps you from having to get wheeled into an operating room with a raging fever of 105.

I'm sure it was fine you ate that but you honestly, no bullshit shouldn't do it again until your doctor says its safe. bread products agglutinize in the stomach and become little staple-eating starch balls. And starch balls lodging into the spaces between your staples -- this is not good. This is bad.

Be careful out there, k?

I'm not sleeved yet... (Next week FTW!) but a weight loss plan is a weight loss plan.

While I understand that the calories coming in during the initial healing phases are very low, I personally don't believe it is enough to justify eating ice cream every day. Especially this early out. If we can make excuses for not following the eating plan so early after surgery then we're just setting ourselves up for long term failure. Excuses and justifications is what got alot of us here in the first place.

YMMV and who knows, I might find myself struggling with trying to get in ANY calories and reach for "soft calories" too. I wish you luck in your journey

My concern was healing not calories. I do not want to hurt my stomach. I lost over 100lbs on the band so I know how to lose weight and am ready for the food stage when I can begin a proper diet of Proteins, veggies, etc. Thanks for the input everyone. I am still alive this morning so I am over it and will not do that again!! :)