Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks into it and I don't know what to expect

3 weeks ago yesterday I had the Laparascopic Sleeve Gastrectomy at Kaiser Hospital. I weighed 260lbs at referral time. Prior to surgery I lost 22 lbs with weight watchers. Since having the surgery (3/17/11) I've lost 16 lbs. I dont know if this is normal weight loss. I knew this wasn't going to be easy but it seems harder now that that surgery has been done. All those people that offered me support seem to have disappeared and those that are around dont understand how hard it is. I can barely eat a portion of the sample menu and I have started walking 2 miles a day. So I am kind of concerned that I am not losing the weight like I should. I am really hoping to lose at least 100 lbs.

It sounds like you're doing great as far as weight loss!! Congrats on being sleeved! You are getting adjusted to a whole different way of eating, so that's not easy I'm sure. It gets better every day, don't get discouraged.

Thanks, I think this website is going to provide me that extra support that I am missing. I'm ready for the challenge, I just hope that I can overcome all obstacles.

Yes it is great, a place where ppl understand and know what you're going thru. Free too, can't beat that.

There is no reason at all that you can't lose 100 lbs. Just be patient. Everyone loses at their own rate.

As long as you don't drinks sugary drinks or eat candy, you can't help but lose.

It is so hard to really know what to expect, and everyone's journey is completely individual, but what you are feeling is perfectly normal.

I think I am a pretty slow loser, but someone advised me a few weeks out that "normal" 6 week post op weight loss is 26lb or above, I was almost exactly that at 6 weeks out, and it was hard seeing people sleeved the same time as me who had lost easily double that, but I had the sleeve instead of other surgeries so that it could be a small part of my life rather than the focus of it, so I possibly don't diet as hard as some people, or excercise as much, but I am sticking with a regeime which is comfortable, and I am thankful for every lb that I lose.

Another really good bit of advice I was given was don't push your new stomach if it isn't ready. I know some people on here who didn't start to try mushies until 3 or more months post op. I am 3 months post op, and avoid anything bread like, anything too sugary as it makes me feel like I'm having a heart attack, and I always eat my Protein first. Some days I just don't want to eat, so I'll go back to Soups and shakes, and the biggest thing I have still got to learn is to slow down!

I will still wolf food down and end up making myself sick, but it took me 31 years to develop my bad habbits, and it'll take me a while to train my mind out of them.

Your weight loss is fantastic, and it will work for you, so be kind to yourself and let the magic happen!

Big hugs

Cx

I had surgery the day before you and I've only lost 10 lbs so I think you're doing great! I'm sure you'll reach the 100lbs goal- just got to give it time.

I'm on mushies- slowly starting soft foods right now. I can't eat a whole lot either- don't think we are suppposed to be. Keep doing what you're doing - walking 2 miles a day is a wonderful accomplishment early out- way to go! Good luck as you continue on this journey!:D

Wow, thanks to all of you for your kind words. I am doing better. Today I hit my total 50lb loss and after surgery 28lb loss. I spoke to a doctor and she told me that the average weight loss is 30 lbs in 3 months. I'm just completeing 2.5 monts so it seems that I am right on track. I wish you all a journey filled with support and success.

yeah, you give me hope!