Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice needed - strange feeling in my throat

It is exactly what this thread talks about. My only problem now is that everytime I try to introduce something other than a benign liquid, I get a royal bellyache! At least I am not hungry and am getting my energy back. I am thirsty ALL the time though. I guess my 4th of July BBQ won't require a grill. I would really love a bit of wine tommorrow though. Is that a totally kamikazi thing to do?

:)

Hi Everyone - I am so glad to hear that someone else has had this problem. I have felt a few things (mostly chicken or crackers) get stuck and have had intense pain until they eventually passed. But, instead of taking a break and going back to liquids, I thought I was fine as long as it had passed and kept right on eating. Well over the last few days my throat has started aching and feeling tight more and more . . . I finally called my doctor and they said the same thing that I am hearing here - I have irritated the mucosal lining of my esophagus and some people just get a referred pain into the back of their throat. Needless to say, I am back on liquids today and hoping to feel better soon!:angry

Hi there banders,

Glad to report that I'm slowly getting back to normal. I hope that I have finally learned...albeit the hard way, not to screw with the band as it always eventually gets even. I had mushy tuna salad for lunch with success today:dance: . I think I will have to permenantly be on Prevacid Solutabs but it has been a godsend. Thanks for all your advice!

Heidi

Glad you're getting better :(

I too would like to thank everyone for their advice and mainly reassurance.

It doesn't matter what the nurse/doctor says you've done or how to cure the problem, the main thing is knowing your not alone!

It's gonna be a long and traumatic journey and I'm just glad I've found friends to travel with.

So a big thank you to everyone :clap2:

x

How are you doing now, Wendy? I did a search for "chicken bone", because that perfectly describes how I've been feeling, and found this thread. I've been banded almost a month and I'm still on mushies. I will be taking everyone's sage advice and returning to liquids for awhile.

I called the surgeon today and he seems to think it may be that my esophagus is still swollen from him having removed a lipoma from it when he banded me. I hope it resolves soon because it feels danged uncomfortable and I want my first fill soon.

I'm glad it's not aliens.

Devana

I'm pleased to report I've had no further problems, following everyones advice of going back to liquids it worked a treat. I've been banded 2 months now and have a consultation on Tuesday 1st August and I'm hoping I can arrange for my first fill. I'm feeling really positive and want some restriction. Weight has sort of stood still for a few weeks now and I need that kick up the bum.

It helps to know your not the first to experience the chicken bone, and I'm sure liquids will do the trick.

Good Luck

Wendy xxx

I like both you and your friends' names for your bands...I find my band to be a little fickle, too...some days, pizza is okay, then the next, I have problems with chicken breast...kinda like living with someone with mood swings!

Can't Touch This! LOL!

Seriously, mostly I think it has more to do with HOW I eat, than what I eat, so your nutritionist seems right on track!

Good luck to you!

Cindy

I had also had this problem. All my fills, but my last one was done by a Doctor that would not due Floro. I changed to a Doctor that would and found out the problem I was having was because my food was backing up in my esphagus.I am now on liquid and soft protien for two weeks and then I am hoping that the swelling will go down when I go back for next fill we will see. I so Stress to have your fills under floro so that you can make sure there are no other probelms going on....Go luck

I have never thought of giving my band a name before but it's not a bad idea. I think that Betty Band may work. What do you think? She has been stretched to her limits and has recoiled mercelessly these past 3 years. I tried to eat some barley Soup tonight. Had 2 tsps. and got a violent stomach ache. Sometimes you just can't win. At least I have plenty left to live off of before I wither away. By the way, as I am a newbie, how do I get one of those horizontal doohickys that you guys have on my computer? It looks like fun.:clap2:

Betty Band...that's funny

If I were to name mine, I think it would be Hagatha...my last name begins with an "H" so it flows...lol. The reason for Hagatha is because I was growing my hair out and felt yucky and haggie looking -was growing it out for my cousin's "medieval" wedding. I don't like my hair long while I am overweight-reminds me of a cape. So, naming it Hagatha would keep me in line so I wouldn't become a "Hag" after banding....LOL

for the ticker....go to Tickerfactory.com

or..i think it says: weightlossticker.com

This thread has good info. Anyone's throat just feel "weird?" Mine feels odd ,the entire throat, especially at night. It wakes me up sometimes. I had my first fill on Thursday.

This thread has good info. Anyone's throat just feel "weird?" Mine feels odd ,the entire throat, especially at night. It wakes me up sometimes. I had my first fill on Thursday.

Odd you should mention that, mind has been feeing funny lately! It feels swollen, not really sore, just like its swelling. I went to lay down the other night and freaked because it closed. Sat up, took a few deep breaths...still swollen. So I got a glass of ice cold Water and the swelling went down..............freaky!!!! Son had a sore throat.....maybe its the weather!!

I have been freaking out the last few days as I have had this feeling in my throat like a golfball is sitting there. i was driving homelast night and almost had a panic attack when it felt like my throat closed up for a second. I am able to keep liquids down and ate some fatfree/sugar free pudding with no problem. I have been eating constantly due to some major stresses i am dealing with. I also took too much Fiber sure yesterday ( the one you can mix with food and supposed to be non thickening! . I started freaking out thinking I have slipped my band od done something stupid. It is definetly the reality check for me that I had thsi surgery for a reason and not to take it for granted. it has been 2 years and I have lost 130lbs. hopefully I have not done anything to screw it up. I am going to do the liquid thing for a few days and see if that helps. is hard as my Dr is in Maine and I live in orlando. Any tips suggestions you have would be great. thanks! Michelle:cry

I had my band revised twice and the last time was in April for a bad slip. I was living off of Prevacid and still getting nausea all the time. What may help the golfball thing is : not eating or drinking anything at least two hours before sleeping and probably the fiber thing should be cut out for a bit. Easier said than done but slow down and wait between sips and bites. I have not gotten sick since my last revision but unfortunately the secret to that success is that the band is not tight enough. This is a no win situation for me. I have put on probably fifteen pounds, and I say probably b/c I won't get on the scale or put the jeans on for fear. I have had a few adjustments since the last surgery but although I am at 3.5 cc's it is not curbing the appetite enough. I will be going for another adjustment next week though as I have to get with the program. It is great not walking around feeling ill all the time but I don't want to blow up again either...as I said, no win situation.:faint: