Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I decided to open up about my VSG at work.

I am 3 weeks post op and have been at work for a week (reduced hours). My team usually have lunch together and they have noticed that I am losing weight and eating very little and they had assumed it was some sort of crazy diet. I decided to tell about the surgery and how happy I was with the results. Most of them were curious, asking questions and being supportive. However one of them started being very negative, about the whole experience: Mexico, follow up, rate of weight loss, need for 1200 cal per day, that she would never hurt herself just to loose weight, etc. I tried to be nice but I was about to say that even with surgery I am still eating ore than she does and that we all know about her sick relationship with food and her pretending that she eats (Anorexic). Of course I would not say that out loud, just in my mind...

I am still glad I open up about the surgery. It may help reduce stigma and maybe get to people who is feeling hopeless and do not know about this surgery and their options. I would hate to make people think that it was just diet and exercise and make them feel like a failure b/c they could not loose by the same means.

So many people in denial about weight and trying to be skinny. Thanks for sharing good for you. I am going to do the same after I go through with the surgery next month.

I think that is great! I had a lap band and everyone knew about it! and everyone knew when I had to have it removed! And everyone saw how I started eating like a ravenous cow again right away. then the story of my girls weekend away with my mom to Mexico came, and no one mentioned anything. A few weeks went by and no one said a word about my eating a tiny bit of food, I eat lunch with the same people everyday! So, then one day i caved and told 2 of them. they said that was good. I recently told the rest of them, and have gotten mixed emotions from them all, but mostly positive, some just WHY Mexico! But after explaining the whole insurance thing, they understood. Fast forward to yesterday when i was eating a garlic bread stick and 2 of them were sitting in the corner giggling and pointing at me, i felt a bit uncomfortable. i really thought that they were my friends until that moment! I do believe that I am allowed to eat what ever I want, it is my body, if i want to eat a damn bread stick I will! Just take everything with a grain of salt!

I am still trying to decide, how much I should let out. Only my boss who is overweight and very understanding a 2 close co- workers know right now. I might wait until after it is done to open up about it.

I'm a very open person... at first I tried to keep it under wraps but I simply couldn't. I'm not sleeved yet but the amount of support I've received already from my co-workers has been great. They check in with me once a month to see if I've got my surgery date yet and even talk to me about people they know who has had WLS and their journey. It's great!! I have some wonderful people here. Of course there is always a crabby apple in the bunch and once I spoke to her in a firm tone and told her I'd been struggling all my life and this was my last resort, she got the hint and has only been encouraging ever since. But, I'm not private at all.... I just couldnt hold it in.

:D

I think that is great! I had a lap band and everyone knew about it! and everyone knew when I had to have it removed! And everyone saw how I started eating like a ravenous cow again right away. then the story of my girls weekend away with my mom to Mexico came, and no one mentioned anything. A few weeks went by and no one said a word about my eating a tiny bit of food, I eat lunch with the same people everyday! So, then one day i caved and told 2 of them. they said that was good. I recently told the rest of them, and have gotten mixed emotions from them all, but mostly positive, some just WHY Mexico! But after explaining the whole insurance thing, they understood. Fast forward to yesterday when i was eating a garlic bread stick and 2 of them were sitting in the corner giggling and pointing at me, i felt a bit uncomfortable. i really thought that they were my friends until that moment! I do believe that I am allowed to eat what ever I want, it is my body, if i want to eat a damn bread stick I will! Just take everything with a grain of salt!

I think its just as likely that they were talking about something else and looking in your direction. I've seen this misunderstanding over and over where I work.

I am 3 weeks post op and have been at work for a week (reduced hours). My team usually have lunch together and they have noticed that I am losing weight and eating very little and they had assumed it was some sort of crazy diet. I decided to tell about the surgery and how happy I was with the results. Most of them were curious, asking questions and being supportive. However one of them started being very negative, about the whole experience: Mexico, follow up, rate of weight loss, need for 1200 cal per day, that she would never hurt herself just to loose weight, etc. I tried to be nice but I was about to say that even with surgery I am still eating ore than she does and that we all know about her sick relationship with food and her pretending that she eats (Anorexic). Of course I would not say that out loud, just in my mind...

I am still glad I open up about the surgery. It may help reduce stigma and maybe get to people who is feeling hopeless and do not know about this surgery and their options. I would hate to make people think that it was just diet and exercise and make them feel like a failure b/c they could not loose by the same means.

I understand your reluctance to tell people. I have that too, in fact very few people know and I hate having to lie, but I don't want people to judge me until I lose the weight and then people and family will see the benefits and perhaps be less negative.

.I feel the same way and have been open to anyone who asks and lucky for me I haven't really gotten any negative remarks. And truth be told I am too happy with my weight loss to care what anyone thinks.

I have that one person at work too, simple fact is she is threatened by my weightloss. Her problem not mine. I just told her it is working for me and there is not use talking down my decision because whats done is done.

Bottom line- I am happy.