Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone,

I am pretty new to these forums and only posted in a couple threads so far so I thought I would make a formal introduction. My name is Heather and I have been contemplating surgery for over 3 years now. I'm married, mother of 2 teens and work a pretty stressful, busy office job.

Back in 2007, before I knew about the sleeve, I went through the process up to the point where I had a surgery date for the band and I chickened out. I vowed to fix it myself and through a variety of diets, a couple of books and free 3 month Y membership I am here today weighing about 50 lbs more than I did back then. I have a significant amount of weight to lose(200+). I heard about the sleeve from a person that my husband talks to online and I began research it several months ago. I like the idea of this SO much better than the other options. My aunt had a bypass years ago and while she did lose weight, her health has been compromised because of it. Between that, my family history of chrohn's disease and just generally not wanting anything rerouted, I definitely did not want to go with that procedure.

I started the process again a few months ago knowing my insurance at the time did not accept the sleeve as a viable procedure. I received notice that my insurance now does accept the sleeve so I am feeling better about finishing up my appointments and getting it done this time. I had to have a 6 month nutrition history so that brings me to about April before I can have the surgery scheduled. All of my appointments are complete except for the gastroenterology visit my surgeon wants me to have before surgery.

I look forward to speaking with the folks here and learning from everyone who has already been through this process.

Hello Everyone,

I am pretty new to these forums and only posted in a couple threads so far so I thought I would make a formal introduction. My name is Heather and I have been contemplating surgery for over 3 years now. I'm married, mother of 2 teens and work a pretty stressful, busy office job.

Back in 2007, before I knew about the sleeve, I went through the process up to the point where I had a surgery date for the band and I chickened out. I vowed to fix it myself and through a variety of diets, a couple of books and free 3 month Y membership I am here today weighing about 50 lbs more than I did back then. I have a significant amount of weight to lose(200+). I heard about the sleeve from a person that my husband talks to online and I began research it several months ago. I like the idea of this SO much better than the other options. My aunt had a bypass years ago and while she did lose weight, her health has been compromised because of it. Between that, my family history of chrohn's disease and just generally not wanting anything rerouted, I definitely did not want to go with that procedure.

I started the process again a few months ago knowing my insurance at the time did not accept the sleeve as a viable procedure. I received notice that my insurance now does accept the sleeve so I am feeling better about finishing up my appointments and getting it done this time. I had to have a 6 month nutrition history so that brings me to about April before I can have the surgery scheduled. All of my appointments are complete except for the gastroenterology visit my surgeon wants me to have before surgery.

I look forward to speaking with the folks here and learning from everyone who has already been through this process.

Hi Chickadee!! Welcome to the forum and thank you for introducing yourself to us.

I can tell you that I was banded before getting my sleeve. There really is no comparison on which is better!!! I absolutely love my sleeve and I wouldn't trade it in for much of anything. Good luck! It sounds like you have everything under control and and you'll be getting yours very soon.

Yay!!!

Had my 4th of 6 nutrition visits yesterday and learned all about what my doctor requires pre and post op. I am feeling even better about this process with each day that passes. I know I will probably be scared to death when I have a date and it approaches but it is all going to be worth it.

Because my BMI is so high he wants me starting at least one shake a day now with some exercise. My company participates in the local United Way corporate cup and if you join the healthy team competition you get 3 months free at the local YMCA and that starts on the 28th, perfect timing.

2 weeks prior to surgery I would start the actual pre-op which is 4 shakes per day and a ControlBar (only if needed) and unlimited veggies with no fat, then Clear liquids only 2 days prior.

It looks like my date will be sometime in April. April 1st is my last nutrition visit and they will submit my paperwork on that day, they said approval should only take a week. I met a woman in the Doctors office yesterday who is 4 weeks out from the sleeve and we talked for a few minutes. She has lost 30lbs already, looked great and said she was feeling great. Everything I read here and hear about the sleeve has been so positive, I am so glad I didn't get the band 3 year ago.

My post op diet is pretty straight forward 7 days for each stage but if you are feeling comfortable he will let you progress a day or so early to the next phase.

I also received all my samples from unjury, Syntrax nectar and Chike. Looking forward to finding ones I like since everyone has such mixed reviews on these things. I had Unjury chocolate Splendor this morning, tasted it with Milk only and liked it and then added some Peanut Butter and liked that as well so that one is definitely going to be a purchase for me. I also like Bariatric Advantage vanilla but it is quite pricey and that is why I haven't purchased any of the other flavors from the Dr's office because I don't want to pay 50 and not like it. I like mixing the vanilla with bananas and/or blueberries.

I am glad to have these forums to gather information and read all of the inspirational stories from all of you. Without this forum I don't think I would be as prepared as I will be for this process.