Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair question

I am just starting my journey, no date set for the surgery, but have been reading the forum for the past 3 days. I have been hearing some talk about hair thinning with the surgery, can someone please let me know what to expect in that regard. My hair has always been thin and if I am going to lose hair, I should prepare for that.

Thanks.

Yes, you should prepare for it.

It typically happens around 3-6 months out and can last for 3-12 months. There is NOTHING that will stop it. Unfortunately, it's a combination of anesthesia, crazy dietary changes, and trauma to the body. You can take Biotin or other hair/nail supplements to help with the regrowth, but there is no magic cure that will keep you from losing some hair. No amount of Protein will keep your hair from falling out if it's going to happen.

Here are 2 articles that explain it in more detail.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1071566-overview

http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/telogen_effluvium.html

I lost half of my hair in volume. It started around 3.5 months post VSG, and lasted for a solid 3 months. I had new growth coming in before the shedding stopped. I never took Biotin on a regular basis, and used Folicure extra care Shampoo which just strips your scalp so the new growth can come in.

I had my gallbladder removed at 8 months post op, and started losing hair again about 2 months after that surgery as well, but it was not as traumatic.

Just another question semi related to this, how long does the anesthetic stay in the body?

Where would you get Biotin at a regular store?

Thanks for the informative links. It does help. At least now I won't freak when it happens to me.

Thanks again.

S

Just another question semi related to this, how long does the anesthetic stay in the body?

Where would you get Biotin at a regular store?

Thanks for the informative links. It does help. At least now I won't freak when it happens to me.

Thanks again.

S

I don't know technically how long anesthesia stays in the body. I'm sure it's different for every person.

You can find Biotin at most retailers that have a pharmacy section such as Walmart, Walgreens, etc etc.

I am just starting my journey, no date set for the surgery, but have been reading the forum for the past 3 days. I have been hearing some talk about hair thinning with the surgery, can someone please let me know what to expect in that regard. My hair has always been thin and if I am going to lose hair, I should prepare for that.

Thanks.

What can i say except PREPARE for it! Sorry

I think that there is a little confusion, from what I've read it is not surgery or anesthesia ITSELF that causes hair loss it's the shock to the body that both may produce that puts the hair in "sleep mode" (to use computer terminology that all may be familiar with). The hair stops growing for a while because of the traumatic experience as the various systems in the body redirect their energy toward healing this new "wound" in the body. As the hair "falls asleep" it of course can work loose and may fall out. Those that remained in the follicle after the "sleep" will be pushed out by the NEW Hair growth once it restarts. If you've ever lost fingernail or toenail you've seen the NEW nail grow underneath the OLD and push it off, much is the same way when the hair starts to regrow. Indeed for the same reason many who have surgery get horizontal ridges in their nails because of the temporary halt in growth.

Most of the anesthetic leave the body in hours, the rest is filtered out by your kidneys in a day or so. Some I've read describe going under anesthetic as a controlled "death", the deeper you are put out the more the various autonomic systems are shut down. A VSG being a fairly simple surgery you are not put out that deeply as say you would be for open heart surgery. It is still necessary to monitor the vitals, but respiration and heart beat are not suppressed to the point that they stop. This "death" again causes the body to be traumatized and the body puts its energy into "healing" itself rather than, say, grow hair or even skin. Many like me peel pretty badly in the week or so after surgery.

How badly it effects you depends on your system, a healthy strong person will loose very little and may not even notice it. Someone who has poor health and a bad reaction to anesthesia, a tough recovery and then problems with eating after the surgery may experience a LOT of Hair loss.< /p>

There is little to nothing that can be done to prevent or reverse it but time and time alone. Nutritional supplements MAY help but it's doubtful.

WARNING: IANAD and the opinion s expressed are my own.

my hairloss began last March and has not stopped. . .mind you it's not AS BAD as how it was in March to November (I could have easily made 3 human hair wigs hahaha) now it's not falling as much but it still is falling. . . i'm just really glad i didn't cut it as i wanted to. . .it's very thin on top (can see my scalp) but at least i'm not bald. . . guess i gave up one thing for another. . . UGH oh well. . . vanity has it's price

As much as I hate to think about losing my hair all I really want to know is...it will grow back right?

Yes it SHOULD, be sure to eat your Protein as it is vital for hear, muscle, skin and nail growth.

Hi, I am almost five months out so I still have another month to worry but so far I have not lost any. I have extremely thin fine hair so it has been and still is a big worry for me. I don't know if any of the things I did/do are what have saved me or not but here they are: I started taking Biotin and collagen a month before surgery I also had been taking multivits and Calcium for years. I started using Nioxin 4 Shampoo and conditioner a month beforehand and it has actually helped my hair. I am also still drinking a Protein Shake each morning and have been almost fanatical about my Protein the minute I got home. It does grow back. From what I have read the traumas of surgery and rapid weight lose disrupts the whole Hair growth process.