Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers

Sleeve IMO are better as bands have a 40% revision rate and they say that African Americans tend to have more trouble with the band.My surgeon who has been doing this 10+ years says he and all the Bariatric surgeons at my hospital have taken out more bands than they have put in and they usually only remove them due to problems not a bc patient changes their mind .

Wow...how long have you been sleeved, how was your hospital stay, what was your recovery time, if you work when did you go back??? any complications?? Very interested in the sleeve however, I don't think anyone can answer the question...long term how does not having your stomach portion that was cut off do to your health??? If you are 20 are 30 now how does this affect you at 50 60 70 80 years of age? Still undecided so I am asking questions and researching both Lap Band and gastric sleeve...i can't help but think the sleeve will yield better results just concerned because it is a bit more invasive, i mean i am loosing the majority of my stomach! ;)....also i want another baby...lap band adjust your band before and after not sure how it works with th sleeve

Sleeve IMO are better as bands have a 40% revision rate and they say that African Americans tend to have more trouble with the band.My surgeon who has been doing this 10+ years says he and all the Bariatric surgeons at my hospital have taken out more bands than they have put in and they usually only remove them due to problems not a bc patient changes their mind .

Sleeve. My mom had the band and she's going through it. She lost weight but can not keep nothing down at all.

2013 is my year....Sleeved 11/19 Methodist Hosp in NY

Wow...how long have you been sleeved' date=' how was your hospital stay, what was your recovery time, if you work when did you go back??? any complications?? Very interested in the sleeve however, I don't think anyone can answer the question...long term how does not having your stomach portion that was cut off do to your health??? If you are 20 are 30 now how does this affect you at 50 60 70 80 years of age? Still undecided so I am asking questions and researching both Lap Band and gastric sleeve...i can't help but think the sleeve will yield better results just concerned because it is a bit more invasive, i mean i am loosing the majority of my stomach! ;)....also i want another baby...lap band adjust your band before and after not sure how it works with th sleeve[/quote']

Tomorrow makes 11 weeks my hospital stay was 4days I had an abnormal shaped stomach they just wanted to keep an eye on. I was readmitted due to inability to eat a month later but the issue resolved on its own:) You can still have baby with the sleeve but it is not advised till 18 months out I worked as nurse in L&D for a few years babies have an amazing ability to survive even in a malnourished mother they are for lack of better words a "perfect parasite"...Keep in mind that having a band does not mean you will for sure keep all of your stomach because bands have been known to erode the tissue in your stomach and cause damage leading to reoperation to repair damage and remove the band.The sleeve is a surgery that has been done for a very long time they have done them as a salvage surgery to repair damage done to the stomach such as a gunshot wound. My surgeon is a military surgeon at Medical facility that handles our country's wounded warriors and he discussed having to do similar surgeries for non obese patients with good results. I am 32 and not worried about my 70s and 80s with a sleeve I am not certain I would make it there without one.Older people eat less in general and honestly from my time in nursing homes it is close to the amount the sleeve will allow and many years down the road the sleeve will give at least a little..Having a band done at 30 almost guarantees you will have reoperation at some point because bands aren't known to last indefinitely that is another reason my surgeon recommended against the band for me bc at 32 the likelihood is that I would need to have it removed and replaced at some point over the years and removing is more difficult than putting it in.

My bad.

My hubby and I been on the motorcycle this weekend. It was nice weather here in San Antonio and it was just sitting there saying ride me. Didn't have any challenges at all post sleeve. I took plenty of Water and Liquid Protein and stopped every half hour to hydrate. I am glad to be able to ride again. Strange phenomena, I have been gripping my shoe insides with my toes..are your feet suppose to get smaller? And I too have joined the boobies went south club..lol

My hubby and I been on the motorcycle this weekend. It was nice weather here in San Antonio and it was just sitting there saying ride me. Didn't have any challenges at all post sleeve. I took plenty of Water and liquid Protein and stopped every half hour to hydrate. I am glad to be able to ride again. Strange phenomena' date=' I have been gripping my shoe insides with my toes..are your feet suppose to get smaller? And I too have joined the boobies went south club..lol[/quote']

Time to get some good bras lol. I am only buying a couple at a time bc they are expensive when my size is changing especially in the band but I really like Fantasie of England and their sister company Freya as they consistently have larger cup sizes and make a good bra to support that size.

I have been trying to find information that is just for us. I've been especially wondering about hair loss and how it would effect a woman of color especially when one's hair is permed.

So have u found out any info on this?

APPROVED!! Surgery set for February 28, 2013. Im so excited and so nervous all at the same time. I feel like I shld go to bed early every night, so that day can hurry and get here. Lol.

APPROVED!! Surgery set for February 28' date=' 2013. Im so excited and so nervous all at the same time. I feel like I shld go to bed early every night, so that day can hurry and get here. Lol.[/quote']

Congrats. .. hoping to keep my date.

Has anyone stopped eating meat after VSG? Also are you suffering from nausea ? I am yuk!!

2013 is my year....Sleeved 11/19 Methodist Hosp in NY