Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying for sleeve, might get band, need advice

Good morning. This is my first post on the board. I started trying the get a Lap-band about three months ago and decided to wait until 2011 because of our high insurance deductible. About a month ago, I found out the sleeve MIGHT be covered and am looking at it instead. I don't like the idea of the band in my body, and the relatively slow rate of weight loss is disheartening. The sleeve is more appealing for several reasons, but I'm worried about leakage and hemmorhage, which I read about in great detail on another board. I feel like so much of what I find on the web is driven by outside interests: Do the posters saying that the sleeve will cause problems for years and years want to push a diet pill, for example? Or could it be true? I'd love to hear from anyone who weighed the two and why you decided to go with the sleeve. My last form gets turned into my doctor today and they should be filing with the insurance company by the end of the week. I need to decide for sure which procedure I want.

I've had both the band and now the sleeve. I can tell you from my personal experience that the band is by far inferior to the sleeve. I have tons of research links in my blog on here if you'd like to peruse the information for more details.

The initial risks with the sleeve are a bit higher with leaks, but the long term risks of the band far outweigh the initial risks with the sleeve. The risks of a leak should be 1% or less with an experienced surgeon. Risks with a band are 25% with another surgery needed.

Some things to consider with the band, do you have time to get fills/unfills, will you have a co-pay or a partial pay for these visits? Are you okay with the stats of 1 in 4 band patients will have to have another surgery to either repair, reposition, replace or remove the band within 3-5 years? Are you prepared to diet, feel hunger, deal with not having restriction and trying to find the elusive "sweet spot" of restriction that many struggle to find? Are you prepared for the food intolerances and complications that come with eating from the band?

Here's the link to my blog: http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/blog/4-just-another-day/

Scroll down to the 4th entry, I have information there on stats from the makers of the band. I've added you to my friend's list so you can view my blog.

I could go on and on regarding how horrible my life was with the band, but I'd rather give you statistical data, and research information so you can make an informed decision.

Hi there. I just got sleeved on January 5. I'm feeling pretty good. I too was considering the lap band at first. But thecidea of a foreign body and other things turned me upwards the sleeve. I did much research. Sole searching, and asked tons of questions.

For me, my doctor checked for leaks before I even woke up. The percentage is I believe 1 in 100 leaks. But I'm sure they'd quickly fix it. As far as hemorrhaging, during surgery there is always a possibly of significant blood loss as in any surgery. But that percentage is low as well. Were u reading of hemorrhaging later after surgery or during.

I'm thnkjng I made a great choice. Keeps me restricted in over eating. I'm very excited for the new year and new me.

Aloha, lisa

Good morning. This is my first post on the board. I started trying the get a Lap-band about three months ago and decided to wait until 2011 because of our high insurance deductible. About a month ago, I found out the sleeve MIGHT be covered and am looking at it instead. I don't like the idea of the band in my body, and the relatively slow rate of weight loss is disheartening. The sleeve is more appealing for several reasons, but I'm worried about leakage and hemmorhage, which I read about in great detail on another board. I feel like so much of what I find on the web is driven by outside interests: Do the posters saying that the sleeve will cause problems for years and years want to push a diet pill, for example? Or could it be true? I'd love to hear from anyone who weighed the two and why you decided to go with the sleeve. My last form gets turned into my doctor today and they should be filing with the insurance company by the end of the week. I need to decide for sure which procedure I want.

Good morning to you! Well what can i say. . I weighed 350 at my highest weight and had thought of WLS many times . . . but like you was skeptical and bought phentermine instead. . sure I lost 90lbs on phentermine, but at $145/month and a good addiction who can afford that! So i dropped the phentermine, gained all the weight back plus more and finally decided on WLS. . .hubbie wasn't supportive at all, so after about 2 1/2 years or so I finally convinced him to come to a meeting with me and he did. . . after listening to the 3 options of WLS, band, sleeve, and RNY, he told me that he would only support me with the sleeve. . .hallalooah! Got that sleeve within a month of the meeting (self pay goes incredibly fast) and hated it in the beginning cause you have to instantly relearn how to eat, drink, and chew all over again, but now after 1 year, I don't regret it at all and would probably do it again if need be. . .I've lost 145 +lbs and feel so good and can do things i never thought possible. . . i can ride horses again without thinking I'll kill them first before they can even take a step forward! I have heard many horror stories about the band, but I can't say anything about it cause I never experienced it, but there are a few on this forum who have and can share their stories with you. . . all i can say is go for the sleeve, I think you'll be very happy with your decision, however, the decision is yours to make. . . Good Luck!

I will definitely check out your blog. Thanks for adding me as a friend, Tiffykins. Lisa, I came across a board last night that was full of long-term horror stories, but I really don't put much credence in it. Lots of misspellings, stories about "what happened to my sister" and things that didn't ring true--but nonetheless started making me worry. I have friends who have done the band and several who have had a bypass, but I don't know anyone with a sleeve. I'm glad I found this board.

I'm in the same spot as you. IDK what to do either. I love everything Tiffinykins has to say! She has a great link into what complications from the Lap-band off their own site. I seems higher risk at first b/c of complication risks with the Sleeve, but then you heal and go on your merry way?! You can wreck any WLS surgery. I'd read and read and read some more of this site and if you are still considering Lap-Band surgery, the Lap-Band talk too. Some 'Official' sites are suspect, since they are unfairly slated. Good Luck!

I was sleeved on Dec 1st. My doctor has a never had a leakage. He checks for leaks at the end of surgery so we don't even have to drink that some people do after surgery. I had first considered the band but then once my doctor said my insurance covers the sleeve and I researched it, there was no turning back. I am loving so far everything. I was one of the lucky ones and have had zero complicatons but I am also following the doctors instruction. Everyone is gonna have some type of horror story they hear no matter what surgery they are considering. I had to do what was best for me and this was definately it. I am almost 48 and my family history was eventually gonna kill me at an early age if I did not do something.Do your research and if it is right for you...go for it. If you know in your heart what you are doing is right, you will not regret it.

Research, research, and research some more, and you'll probably see why I personally have come to the conclusion that the band should be banned. I honestly would have no surgery at all rather than have someone put one of those things in me, with the unbelievably high complication and revision rate.

My sister has the Sleeve and all the things she talked about being the down fall to WLS I do not deal with. She cant eat and drink at the same time, I can. She cant always tell when she is full and gets sick, I can tell. She has to do after care to fill her band, I dont.

Over all those that get the lap-band still deal with weight issues and have problems with gaining back the weight. From what I have heard from others and what I see in myself is I dont even think I could gain back the weight if I wanted to. The sleeve is the best thing I ever did for myself.

Janie,

You may want to post on the lapband board as well. I, like Tiffykins have a band. I had a lot of success with my band for the first 7 years but have had many, many problems with it in the last 2 years. A negative for sure with the band is the amount of aftercare required. I've had probably 20 fills and unfills in just the past 2 years alone. For each 1 I have to see my dr., pay a co-pay and I've even had to take a few days off of work. I am looking to revise to a gastric plication or sleeve gastrectomy. I haven't quite decided which surgery is best for me. You need to find a surgery that u feel most comfortable with and one that will help you be successful. Good luck! These boards are great at offering support and advice. Unfortunately not all of them are!