Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

11 weeks post op and confused!!

So I am trying my hardest to do things right! I am taking most of the Vitamins, eating more protien, trying to leave carbs and starches alone! I feel better I am getting between 450-600 calories in a day which I still dont feel comfortable with but it is a big improvement from 300 calories a day! I know I have only been doing this for under 2 weeks but the last 3 weeks I gained 3 lbs. I know this week I maintained and didn't gain anything or lose anything which is good ( I guess)! The Dietitian thinks I am platooning because I have been consistently losing weight for 6 months (before and after surgery)! Is that possible this soon out to have a Plato? I get confused cause all I heard for 6 months before surgery was cut your calories, eat less and exercise more and now they are telling me to eat more and no exercise! I feel so confused at this point cause I am no where near my goal weight! any advise???

So I am trying my hardest to do things right! I am taking most of the Vitamins, eating more protien, trying to leave carbs and starches alone! I feel better I am getting between 450-600 calories in a day which I still dont feel comfortable with but it is a big improvement from 300 calories a day! I know I have only been doing this for under 2 weeks but the last 3 weeks I gained 3 lbs. I know this week I maintained and didn't gain anything or lose anything which is good ( I guess)! The Dietitian thinks I am platooning because I have been consistently losing weight for 6 months (before and after surgery)! Is that possible this soon out to have a Plato? I get confused cause all I heard for 6 months before surgery was cut your calories, eat less and exercise more and now they are telling me to eat more and no exercise! I feel so confused at this point cause I am no where near my goal weight! any advise???

I really feel your pain in this post. I am sorry that noone has responded. I am only six weeks out and I do 800-1100 calories a day. I stalled once around 3 weeks for 10 days, lost only 1 1/2 pounds a week for two weeks and this week I have lost 4 pounds. What the heck? I know that there is more that is affecting weight loss/gain than just calories... medicine (my allergy pill makes me retain water), hormones (aunt flo), Constipation, carb/protein ratio, ketosis, starvation mode, and sometimes just the way the wind blows. Maybe if you could give more info, a sample of what you eat, Vitamins, fluids meds... I dunno. There has to be some good advice out there. I know coops and globetrotter both struggle with slow/uneven weight loss, maybe they have some tips. Don't give up.

Seems that most sleevers are bound to stall lots are as early as 3 weeks post op. I think your body is trying to heal it self as well as figure out what the heck has happened. The increase in calories is probably good for you in the long run. Your body will adjust and start to lose again.

I really feel your pain in this post. I am sorry that noone has responded. I am only six weeks out and I do 800-1100 calories a day. I stalled once around 3 weeks for 10 days, lost only 1 1/2 pounds a week for two weeks and this week I have lost 4 pounds. What the heck? I know that there is more that is affecting weight loss/gain than just calories... medicine (my allergy pill makes me retain water), hormones (aunt flo), Constipation, carb/protein ratio, ketosis, starvation mode, and sometimes just the way the wind blows. Maybe if you could give more info, a sample of what you eat, Vitamins, fluids meds... I dunno. There has to be some good advice out there. I know coops and globetrotter both struggle with slow/uneven weight loss, maybe they have some tips. Don't give up.

For the first 3 weeks I couldnt eat anything but fluids and tried 2 drink Protein Drink but the more I drank the sicker I got Turns out I am severley lactose intolerant. i my 4th week I found apples and watermelon worked for me but any dairy made me sick even with the lactaid and lunch meat or tuna did not work for me it made me nauses ! I got my stomach use to eating chicken noodle Soup once a day a total of 140 calories which isnt much but it was loaded with sodium so I had to stop that! for about a week I was eating 4 small tangerines a day, drinking 6oz of orange juice a day and that was it ! I had a 10 week check up(which I wasnt suposed to have till 3months post op) and the appt. didnt go well! the said all my blood work was low, my liver was showing signs of strain, my Vitamin D is depleated and the Vitamin A is incredibly low. The nutritionist said My body is in starvation mode and it is holding any calories it gets and that is why I am gaining or I could be platooing or a combination of both. Also up until 2weeks ago I was unable to gt any Vitamins down without getting the dry heves. so I just began taking my multi Vitamin and both B VITAMINS about 10 days ago! along with that I have began 2 increase my calories and Protein intake(protein is up to about 30grams a day) the Dr. told me to completley avoid dairy including Protein shkaes cause it gives me such frequent bad diareeha that I am not absorbing any what vitamins I should be getting! I am starting Probiotics next week and the Dr. said it should help with the nuasea and allow me to eat other foods.sorry for jumping around so much on topics but I am beginning to get frustrated

dry.gif with this whole weight loss stuff.. thank you...rolleyes.gif

So am I understanding you that your doc basically said 1)fluids, 2)vitamins 3)calories 4)protein?

It sounds like your body rebelled and went into geurilla mode attacking you for what it feels you did to it.

I know there are dairy free Protein drinks. I remember seeing them at GNC and the Vitamine Shoppe. I wonder if one of them could help you up your Protein and calories without dairy (I assume the whey is out). I think there are some egg based ones. When your body gets back into balance, you can look at all the weight loss and Celebrate, meanwhile, hang on and do whatever you need to take care of yourself.

Hi, wow, it sound like a really hard time you have been having. I hope things start to get better soon. If you go to any local health food store you might find soy, pea, hemp and other kinds of Protein Drinks. I don't know how they taste, except the soy which I use now and then. I have found its not bad in coffee with milk... or fixed like a chai tea latte, with tea, spices, splenda and milk. Good luck! Its kind of thick... but perhaps you need to treat it like medicine until you get better...

A trick for a platau, is to go pretty HIGH up on calories for a day or two. Then, go back to your normal level. Then your body thinks everything is Ok, (famine=stress is over) and I bet you'll start to lose!