Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SMMC LB support group chicas

I can chat this evening... during work hours will be kinda hard though, but I can wing it if needed. :grouphug:

Katt-

I know from your other posts you are an RN, and evidently one who is in some sort of supervisory role. You know from your experiences that you cannot control all of your staff, and while you may try...it's just impossible. Although I'm sure you feel that the care you provide personally is great. That is the prospective from which I choose to view the program.

Dr. Hoehn is hands down THE most wonderful bariatric surgeon I believe in the KC area. I work with LOTS of doctors around the area, some of which are surgeons, and he is by far the most sweet spirited and gentle, humble, well-mannered surgeon I have ever come in contact with. His right-hand lady, Billie is absolutely wonderful too. She runs support groups and is wonderful at returning phone calls promptly and answering questions to the best of her ability, as well as telling you point blank when she doesnt know the answer...but then she tries to find out.

All of us on this thread go to his LB support groups regularly. One reason we started it was to have a forum in which to discuss our day to day concerns and problems with the lap-band. Since we are tied together with the common thing being that Dr H is our surgeon, there are of course going to be things that come up regarding our experiences with his office staff, common people we know etc etc.... It's just like with any relationship, it is not always going to be smoothe sailing, and if you said it was..you would be a bold face liar. This is not like the usual doctor-patient relationship in where he fixes you or prescribes you a script and you are gone for the next 6 months or year. With bariatric surgery we are constantly having questions, problems, tune-ups (fills) etc etc where we are continually dealing with 'someone' in the office.

I know MANY other people that have had lap-band in KC and NONE of them have as comprehensive or as many successful patients as he does. I truly believe it is because of the long pre-op period where they make SURE you are ready and a good candidate, NOT just do you have the money to pay. Dr H and Billie truly do care about you being successfull, and for that...even with all the 'other stuff' I wholeheartedly still recommend their program.

One problem I always had with reading Dr. H's reviews on Obesityhelp.com is that EVERY single one practically says "oh he is wonderful"...and no one ever offers to say anything practical or realistic. That makes me question the validity of the opinions. We still think he is wonderful (with just a few staffing issues that he is aware of). But, at least with us, you are getting both sides of the story. None of us sugar coat anything, which is one of the reasons we chose to come together in some way to help support each other. Hope that helps, keep us posted on your surgery, and please know that you are in great hands! Good luck!

OH is a riot. Dr. H has two kinds of reviews there:

1. "He's great!"

2. "He's a cutie pie!"

Neither of which helped me in the least when trying to find a surgeon.

I ended up going to him after I'd pretty much selected a surgeon in California, and was seriously considering another in St. Louis. I went to Dr. H's info night because a very good friend of mine had RNY with him, and as soon as I told her I was thinking about LB she told me I *had* to go to his info night, that his program was wonderful, and that she didn't want me putting my life in anyone else's hands (we jokingly referred to her as my second mom).

Like I said earlier - I'm to this day thrilled with Dr. H. I didn't mention Billie -- poor Billie, she never gets props. Billie is great too. I'd recommend either of them individually in a heart beat.

I finally figured out how to edit thread titles. I'd been wanting to rename this one for a loooong time, so it became my first victim. :grouphug:

------------------------------

Ok, OT question... I'll give my scenario, but I'm just opening it up for general discussion...

How many of you walked in your whatever graduation? Would you do it again? Why did you walk, if you did?

Many of you know I'm wrapping up my master's program (or so I think) and plan to start my PhD ASAP afterwards.

I never walked for any of my undergraduate degrees. For one, after YEARS in college I was so ready to be done with the place that I didn't want to "look back" at it. For two, I left with some hard feelings... long story but I kinda got screwed by an academic advisor who was fired and hadn't been updating any records or requirements. For three, I'll do anything to avoid the spotlight, so walking across a stage in front of lots o' people isn't really something I look forward to.

It always bugged my parents a little. I dunno why - weird parent thing.

I had planned to graduate with my master's in August, and wasn't planning to walk. Just today I added another "minor" (aka emphasis) so I will have another years' worth of classes. My mom called to chat and when I mentioned this to her (that'd I'd piled on even more years of school) at first she was like - "I knew you would" - but then she started in about the walking... how I need to do it, how it would make her/my dad so proud, etc.

So hopefully at the start of 2008 I will begin my PhD program which means I'll be done around 2026. :eek: I've always known I'd go for my doctorate, and always said I would walk for it, because it's going to be a hell of a lot of work and I "deserve it". I still don't really WANT to, but for the doctorate I think I'll feel a little obligated... but not for the master's... weird...

Anyway, did you? Why? Would you again? What did you get out of it that made it something you wanted to do?

Hi Katt. My name is Cynthia I had LBS with Dr H last April. I wouldn't change my mind about him even though I have had an issue with my band. If anything I don't think I pushed very hard to find out if there was a problem with my band. I automatically wanted to blame myself. I personally haven't had issues post op with office staff. Whenever I let Dr H or Billie know I need to talk to them they give me their time and attention. I totally think he is a good choice. There are always complications one way or another and I don't think it's true if people say everything always goes smooth in other offices either.

I have been back on my program high Protein very few carbs the last couple of days I know I shouldn't have but I weighed this am and I've lost 3lbs. So I'll keep on going. I have an appointment tonight after work but I am planning on the treadmill when I get home. Maybe I'll check in later if my son lets me on the computer.

I have been pursuing LBS with Dr. Hoehn and have completed (I hope) all of the pre-testing. After reading the posts on this thread I am seriously re-considering my choice of physician. What do you really think? Katt

Katt,

Dr. Hoehn had only done 30-some lap bands before my surgery...and still, to this day, I would not change a thing!

Him and Dr. Hitchcock got a great endorsement from the nurses at St. Luke's South. I think that says a lot when medical professionals will go to you with their personal and family needs.

Either way, give it some thought and go with your gut. You have to make the right decision for you.

Good luck.

Oh, I almost forgot. A banded Hoehn-ite friend of mine was having some difficulty over the weekend. She paged Dr. Hoehn Sat. night and he called and they decided that she needed to do liquids for a bit because she was having some problems. He called her Sunday THREE times (without being paged) to check on her and make sure she was ok. This is another reason why I think a lot of Dr. Hoehn!

I don't care what other people think--- Dr. Hottie Rocks!

Just FYI everyone.

Anyway, did you? Why? Would you again? What did you get out of it that made it something you wanted to do?

Angela,

Great topic for discussion.

When I finished with my bachelors I decided not to walk because I was kind of sick of school and just did not want to think about it anymore. I also thought it was kind of goofy to walk with hundreds of people I didn't know or go to class with.

Anyway, I TOTALLY REGRET IT NOW!!!! I wish I would have done it. I was a big over-achiever in school (as I suspect you were). I think there is something about that mind-set where we expect ourselves to achieve certain things/goals...therefore they become just another thing checked off our list and not the HUGE accomplishments they are. We should Celebrate all our successes in life and share them with the people who care about us and share our pride. Maybe if we let ourselves do this more, we won't dwell on the failures or shortcomings that crop up along the way.

I wonder if this could be related to food issues in any way???

Oh, here's a thought...if you don't want to walk...maybe you can allow your parents to throw you an "open house". Something low-key so you don't feel any pressure but still allows them to brag about their incredibly smart daughter. They get to show everyone how proud of you they are!!! That means a lot to a parent. (trust me...)

Congratulations on your master's Angela!!!!! :clap2::hail: :clap2::banana :clap2::grouphug: :clap2:

I know you have more school ahead...but take a minute, pause, smell the roses and think of all the hundreds/thousands of minutes of class time you have finished, papers you have written, tests you have taken and hours you have poured over the computer. You deserve it! :dance:

Hey guys it's me. What is the JQ's 11 pound challenge? Also since I'm looking stupid how do I put the ticker tape on my stuff? I can't type much tonight I managed to slam my finger with a hammer earlier once it quit bleeding I've been dealing with the lovely throbbing.

Hey Cynthia, challenges are basically just a group of people that aim for some goal together. For instance, I could say we're going to have a "50 by Fall" challenge, and post it, and whomever posted a reply that they were in would be joining in the efforts to lose 50 lbs by fall.

In this case, someone who goes by "JQ" (John, I think) started a challenge to lose 11 lbs by August 15... so anyone who wants to try and accomplish that will post to the thread, and usually there's some kind of a "ticker" or special piece you insert in your signature, so everyone knows that you're participating.

That probably didn't make things any more clear for you. :)

Ok ladies, not that I really think we'll need one on that particular day, at that particular time, but I'll set up a reservation for dinner next week. That way if anyone gets there late, they won't have to "find" the table, they can just ask for the reservation. I'll make it under my maiden name, Jones, since no one can pronounce my married name. :)

hi guys! my computer dumped me last night sorry I just disappeared. I called Billie today to see if she had heard from insurance company yet. She hadn't so I called. Billie just hadn't gotten the letter yet. They won't cover my surgery. Right now I am totally depressed and bummed. I started crying when I told Billie. So I don't know when if whatever I can have anything done. Forgive me while I feel sorry for myself for a day or two. Then I will bounce back and deal with it all again. Thanks for being out there and caring.

I would try an appeal if I were in your shoes. It doesn't make any sense for them to pay for your band, but then not pay for complications with it, or to get it to where it's working. But that's just me, and although I work for an insurance company, it's something I truly know nothing about.

Ok guys, I just had to PB at work. That was something I was hoping to avoid forever, but no such luck. :)

I guess I took too big of a bite of my FF turkey dog or something, because I got stuck... burped, felt better for about 5 mins, thought that was the end of it, then slowly started started feeling stuck again even though I hadn't eaten anything else... and it just progressed.

Trying to be smart I went downstairs to the first floor (public business, top 2 floors are provate businesses) b/c it's much more empty, and doesn't have the constant stream of people in & out of the bathrooms that we do. Got in a stall, started getting that horrible I pain I get, that literally makes it hard to breathe... and wouldn't you know it, some lady and a little girl come in. So I'm trying to hold it, because - who wants to hear someone puking, but dammit, they won't just get down to business. They're having cute little conversations about how toilet paper is made, where the soap in the dispensers comes from... and I just can't hold it back anymore. I dry heave a few times, relatively quietly... no help... whatever's stuck just isn't wanting to move... so I give up and just position myself over the toidy... pain gets worse, to the point where the panic starts to set in and I'm literally having to gasp to breathe... I can't keep up with the sliming so I have a nice little Rapunzel rope of spit between me and the bowl... there's a picture of grace and feminity... esp. considering I'd already tied my skirt around my waist and tucked my shirt into my underwear to keep them out of the way.

Finally after about 3 minutes of this PURE HELL *irp* it comes... sounds worse than it was... I'm thrilled because I can breathe again... and I hear the lady say "Come on we have to go right now" and the little girl says, "But mommy I have to wash my hands and kill the germs" and the mother says, "We'll find some other bathroom to wash your hands in we have to go RIGHT NOW. Hurry up!"

*sigh*

I'd thought about saying something when I heard her come in, about how she might not want to come in just then, but I didn't...

*sigh*

I *hate* the pain that comes with a PB. I *wish* I was one of the people whose PBs are no more of an event than a burp or cough. I don't mind the PB itself because it stops the pain, but damn - in the minutes leading up to the PB, it's relentless. It got so hard to breathe that I literally started getting light-headed, my hearing partially blanked out, and I was getting tunnel vision. No fun!

Ok girls... so my new strapless bra has been bugging me... I kept on thinking, "it feels like its hitting an incision," but my incision is about 2 inches below where it hits. Then I looked closer, and I can see the two needle sticks from before right hwere it hits. So it's hitting my port! So for now I'm just hiking it up. It can't do anything, right?

Cynthia.... I am so sorry. Hoepfully you can get Dr H & Billie to really battle for you. Keep on appealing as many times as you can. They really want you to succeed, and I'm sure they'll help as much as is possible.