Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

slow weight loss

tmo
Sign in to follow this  

I had my plication done on dec. 2 and can't believe how slow the wight loss is. I lost more weight on the 2 week pre op diet than I have the last for weeks. I have only lost 8 lbs in 4 weeks. I dont understand why, I can only eat very small portions and only at meal times. I added my calories at about five hundred a day and have started exercising. This doesn't make any sense. Did I waste my money, it seems everyone else loses weight real fast on here, starting to get very depressed.

I had my plication done on dec. 2 and can't believe how slow the wight loss is. I lost more weight on the 2 week pre op diet than I have the last for weeks. I have only lost 8 lbs in 4 weeks. I dont understand why, I can only eat very small portions and only at meal times. I added my calories at about five hundred a day and have started exercising. This doesn't make any sense. Did I waste my money, it seems everyone else loses weight real fast on here, starting to get very depressed.

It has to be Water weight, no one can eat only 500 cals a day and stay the same forever. You are on a classic stall. It must be so frustrating for you! Just keep up the good work, and you will see the numbers go down. You might even eat a few hundred more calories for a few days and see if that helps. Measure yourself with a tape, perhaps you are losing inches. Hang in there!

Hey,

I agree with feedyoureye.... sounds like a stall. You had the surgery 2nd dec, so you not yet 4 weeks out... remember you need to give your body time to recover and repair. It is still thinking ' Hang on a minute... what the hell just happened ?'

It will pass and you will start to lose again. I too experience stalls and they are really frustrating, but eventually the scale moves again for me!

Just another thought, are you drinking enough Water?

Good luck =]

Sorry! That has to be very frustrating. When I lost w the lapband my weight loss was very slow. I did eventually end up losing 110 pounds but it took me over 3 years. I think with the sleeve and plication the body thinks it's starving and tries to retain everything, Fluid and food. You've gotten good advice. Even though you might be losing slower - you are losing. 2 pounds per week! Just think in less than a year you will have lost 100 pounds!

Take care,

genepha

I'm in the same boat. I had surgery 12/1 and have only lost 8 lbs too. I have lost 22 inches though. I think my body is in starvation mode. I have been trying to get more calories in over the last few days so I am hoping to get through this stall. I stopped weighing myself everyday because it was driving me crazy. Tomorrow is my day to weigh in. Hope the scale starts moving for both of us soon!!

High volume Water and high Protein and Vitamins and mineral supplements are a must!!! It's true that if your body feels as though it's starving (and yes, 500 calories a day is starving), it will actually store anything you give it as fat, and then it will start eating it's own muscular system to gain the nutrients it needs! You have to feed and exercise your muscles in order to convince your body to burn fat as an excess energy source.

I wish you the best of luck dropping off this plateau!

Hey there!

Yes, the first few weeks after GPS - my weight loss dropped to about 1 or 2 lbs per week. But important question for the original poster - are you able to eat much less than prior to the surgery? If yes - than I wouldn't worry. Take that 1 or 2 lbs per week and after several months, and much weight will come off. I just hit 5 months and I am 41 lbs lighter! I am happy about that although I was a bit miffed during the first two months, but I would much rather have the weight come off at a more "normal rate." I know we all spent a lot of money - but try to stay positive and look at the long term, k? As long as you are able to have a small appetite and are exercising a bit - I think you are on the right track!

Best wishes!

Hi Mw, thanks for your post! I needed to read that,,, :)

Hello Karen!

No problem - hang in there and keep positive!

I hope you get past this stall soon! Sometimes increasing the amount of Protein helps too. I agree with MW9955, think of the long term. If it is coming off slowly it is still coming off. We didnt gain all of our weight over night so it won't come off like that either...even though for some it sure does seem like it. Keep yourself in the mindset that you want sustainable weight loss. 1 and 2 lbs a week add up quickly and before you know it you will be at your goal. Also it gives your body and skin time to conform to the smaller you as well, rather than losing a ton all at once and then having to weight a couple years for your skin to catch up. I hope that helps! Best of luck, I am sure you can get through this!

Thanks for all the replies. Haven't lost a pound in 2 weeks, but reading these helps to know others have been through this and know how it feels. Your comments help a lot.

Thanks for all the replies. Haven't lost a pound in 2 weeks, but reading these helps to know others have been through this and know how it feels. Your comments help a lot.

*hugs* it will happen and the scale will start moving once more! I just joined yesterday but the people here seem really great and supportive. I am sure everybody including myself is rooting for you :) weight loss can be such a long and rough journey.