Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Multi vitamin suggestions?

I haven't been taking my Vitamins since surgery. I know, I know. But every single time I take my multi Vitamin, I throw it up about 5 minutes later. I'm taking a chewable from Bariatric Advantage because it's what was given to my by my bariatric center. I told my doctor this but didn't really get a suggestion as to what else to take. Specifically I was told to try talking to a support group to get other suggestions. So does anyone have any?

I was taking a One a Day Women multi pre-op; might that be okay to take again?

I just recently tried the Alternavites because I was doing the One a Day gummies but they didn't have Iron and some of the other nutrients that we need in them. I can't do the chewables because they make me gag terribly. The Alternatives are a crystal powder that you just put on your tongue and it dissolves and it has all of the Vitamins etc that my surgeon said we need.

I guess from what their website says (www.alternavites.com) that this gal was from a family of Vitamin manufacturers but the problem was that she couldn't swallow big pills and couldn't chew the Vitamins either so she invented Alternatives.

When they sent me samples, they gave me a code to get 10% off of my order so I guess I can share that here. She said just use the code FS10.

The only downside is that you can't put it all on your tongue at once so you have to put a little bit at a time which takes a couple of minutes. But for me it's worth it because I was worried that I wasn't getting all of the right nutrients with just the One A Day gummies (even though they were really easy to take!).

You can request samples at the Alternatives website. That's what I did.

I have been taking GNC Solotron chewables with bioavailable Iron for over 2 years now. They are wafer type chewable, and kind of taste like the berry tums, just not as chalky. I have never had a deficiency in any of my labs, and I get a 45 day supply for about $14-$15 at GNC. If you buy some, make sure they have Iron in them as there are 2 Solotron Vitamins available at GNC.

If you do go to GNC, or order them online, and they end up making you sick, you can return them even if they are opened.

I do love my multi, and am pretty loyal to the brand only because they've never steered me wrong, and they don't taste horrible. I will let you know that your urine will be a bright yellow color taking them.

Here's the link for the ones I take:

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2874412

Fleur hey swear I was going to start a thread this mornin about Vitamins as I have not been taking mine either nor have I been taking the Calcium for the exact reason that they make me throw up but thanks for starting this thread. My main goal is to get my Protein vitamins and Water in. So this week I will try extra hard. I want to drop at least 15# by Christmas

Here's what I take and have had no problems:

Centrum Ultra Womens (I buy the store brand). This is not a chewable.< /p>

sublingual B-12 (I also buy the store brand - cheap and tasty)

Bariatric Advantage calcium citrate Lozenges in Cinnamon (chewable and taste like cinnamon candy)

I'm taking the Rite Aid Brand sublingual B-12 w/Folic Acid (very inexpensive.. 5.99 for a months supply)

Vitamin D 5,000 BU from Bariatric fusion (when it runs out I'll buy from Vitamin Shoppe)

All my other supplements are from the Vitamin Shoppe...

Chewable Iron (will go back to pills when gone)

calcium citrate w/ Magnesium

Potassium Citrate

liquid Multi Vitamins w/ minerals (Nature's Way Alive!, but when I run out I'll go with the pill form)

Sometimes there are some of us who Vitamins can be hard for our stomachs. Try drinking the vitamins down with a Protein shake. Do not take on an empty stomach or your vitamins will end up in the toilet. Been there, done that. But since I've been making sure I'm coating my stomach I've been absolutely fine, and I'm still taking the same stuff I was when I got sick.

Good luck!!!

My surgeon's offcie suggested that I not spend a lot of money on Vitamins. They said the store brands would be just as good as the expensive ones. I don't know how true that is but I've always bought store brands (usually Wal-Mart). I just make sure there's as much Iron as possible in the multi. The one I'm taking now is the store version of Centrum. Not long after I started taking the chewables I knew I would need to transition to the regular version. I didn't like the chewable taste and wasn't interested in the Gummy versions. So, when my stomach could handle it and the doctor cleared me, I started swallowing them. The first few times they made me really nauseous. But I got used to them and now they don't bother me at all. I make sure I take them right after a meal as recommended. I know that my iron level is fine but I still need to get the results of the other blood work I had done. I guess it's ok since no one called me from the doc's office with abmormal results. The citrical petites are a good option for Calcium and you can take them without eating if need be.

I haven't been taking my Vitamins since surgery. I know, I know. But every single time I take my multi Vitamin, I throw it up about 5 minutes later. I'm taking a chewable from Bariatric Advantage because it's what was given to my by my bariatric center. I told my doctor this but didn't really get a suggestion as to what else to take. Specifically I was told to try talking to a support group to get other suggestions. So does anyone have any?

I was taking a One a Day Women multi pre-op; might that be okay to take again?

My poor husband has so many hand-me-down Multi Vitamins that I just cannot take....chalky ones, gummies, chocolate Viactiv - I finally found some good adult gummies at Target that I like, not strong berry flavored, but milder fruit...I think it's their brand. It's perfect, finally I found something I LIKE!!! I did NOT like the chalky ones from Bariatric Advantage....I dontated those to someone else at my support group! :)

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm definitely going to have to give some of these a try. I'm having the same problem with Calcium as well. I was given unflavored calcium citrate, also from Bariatric Advantage, and that's a no-go as well. I replaced them with a chewable calcium, but it's only 250 mg I think. Which means I would have to eat about 6 a day. Yeah, haven't done that either.

I seriously need to get on the ball with the Vitamins or my surgeon is gonna kick my butt.