Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Italian, Chinese & Seafood Restaurants

Here's a little poll for the banded::hungry:

When you go out to eat at an Italian restaurant what do you usually eat?

When you got out to eat at a Chinese restaurant what do you usually eat?

When you go out to a Seafood restaurant what do you usually eat?

I generally don't do chinese, but if I have to I have shrimp in lobster sauce or mongolian shrimp. I also LOVE Egg Drop Soup. For Italian, I can do very small amounts of Pasta, but I usually choose meatballs and a veggie, or most places offer grilled chicken or shrimp with some sort of sauce over pasta, I request little or no pasta. As for seafood, I can eat just about anything I want, except for fried clams (which I love) as long as I have some sort of dip, shrimp sauce or tarter sauce. I also do fried shrimp dipped in ranch. I had baked fish for lunch today and I dipped it in light tarter sauce, it went down very easily. We all have different reactions to different kinds of foods and your milage may vary. Hope this helps~Mandy

I usually eat whatever I would have usually or that looks good on the menu. When I know its going to be something I dont want to take home or wont keep well, I show the card my doctor provided me that says I had a surgery that reduced my stomach and I may need smaller portions or order off the kids meal....something like that. I've never had a problem when i've used it. I always get a smaller portion and a discount.

I havent been out to a Chinese restaurant since I was banded and seafood restaurants dont tend to feature regularly either. Its not a common thing to have a specific "seafood" restaurant here, its more mixed cuisine, heaps of Asian/Malaysian/Thai style cuisine.

Italian I've been to a few times - I've had fettucine, and lasagne and woodfired pizza a few times. Going out for pizza tonight in fact. Nice think crispy crust gourmet pizzes, not that pizza hut crap. Those all go down fine for me.

Chinese wouldnt present me with a problem either, I've had takeaway once I think since banding but I can generally eat anything moist like Chinese. Seafood, hmmm, I'd probably have prawns or calamari. I have eaten salt and pepper calamari and suprisingly, rubbery as it is, I had no problem.

Had a bit of trouble with Lebanese though.

When you go out to eat at an Italian restaurant what do you usually eat?

chicken tortellini soup; eggplant parmesan; veal piccata or francesca

When you got out to eat at a Chinese restaurant what do you usually eat?

Eggplant with garlic sauce; shrimp with lobster sauce; egg drop soup; chicken with whatever sauce

When you go out to a Seafood restaurant what do you usually eat?

Sashimi!! Whenever I get the chance. Otherwise, poached fish.

When you go out to eat at an Italian restaurant what do you usually eat? Not much of an Italian fan, but probably some kind of chicken dish and salad. Or Pasta, which I can still do if I go slow and chew it to nothing.

When you got out to eat at a Chinese restaurant what do you usually eat? The only Chinese I eat are PF's and Bo Ling's. At PF's I will get lettuce wraps, which is usually plenty. I may stray and get the occasional Chang's Spicy chicken, or if I'm in rare form, Kung Pao Chicken. I give the rice to my companions. At Bo Ling's it's the General's chicken, every time, with vegetable friend rice that I take home for hubby.

When you go out to a Seafood restaurant what do you usually eat? Seared ahi.

Ok, I've just got home and can cheerfully report that seafood risotto, flourless orange cake, a nice cold chardy and a latte all go down just fine!

Didnt finish any of it, but it was very nice. Especially the chardonnay!

Wow.. you guys are great! I keep thinking I will have to eat Soup everytime I go out to eat in a "nice" restaurant. It's not like I eat fancy at home so I can practice if I can tolerate something or not. I am terrified of having to PB in the middle of the meal. You all give me hope-just eat sssllllooooowwww and sssmmmmaaaalllll it sounds like. (Date to talk with surgeon is fast approaching, I should have a surgery date for end of July or early August) Keep answering folks-I love you all!!!!!!!

italian - grilled veggies or a good veggie based appetizer with cheese

chinese - you have to know what resturants cook tender meats and that is the key. pepper steak is really good from the right resturant

seafood - i stick to soft flaky fish...usually steamed if that is an option

Italian: any kind of Pasta, meatballs, sausage, gnocchi, salad, roasted peppers, bread dipped in olive oil, anything on the menu really

Seafood: Any fish, crabs, shrimp, anything on menu

Chinese: Salt and Pepper shrimp is my favorite (I'm having some for lunch today!), noodles, Soup, chicken, veggies, eggrolls, dumplings, little bit of rice.

I can eat almost any food. The only things that are problematic are scrambled eggs, sushi rice, and fast food (can't eat fast food at all; PB every time since my second fill!)

I am not big on Italian but have done Parmesan chicken. I stick with a salad usually. Penni mentioned Eggplant Parmesan, I love that and imagine that would be very band friendly also, just haven't tried it.

Chinese is easy, we eat this fairly often. I get the chicken and mushrooms, broccoli beef, shrimp with garlic sauce, etc... Just about any of the stir-fry Entrees, beef or chicken and great mix of veggies, and skip the rice.

Seafood is my favorite. I love shrimp cocktail. I have eaten just about everything....lobster, fish, crab legs, scallops, oysters. I find all I have to do is be super careful to take tiny bites and chew to smithereens. I will discreetly spit into a napkin a tidbit that seems like it wont chew down enough to swallow safely. When in doubt, spit it out.

Italian: cheese tortellini alfredo w/ proscuitto & fresh peas or mussels marinara

Chinese: sesame chicken or honey chicken

Seafood: sushi/sashimi or scallops w/ maple cream sauce

Btw, my mouth is watering right now!