Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you Eat These Foods Eventually?

Ok VSG family, I have bought and am exploring some cookbooks for WLS patients. Some actually have some great recipes but I am not sure if I will be able to handle some of those foods eventually. I was curious to know if any of you sleevers who are 6 months or more out might answer this question. Can you eat any of the following foods?:

salad stuff such as lettuce, green onions, cucumbers, tomatoes?

fresh fruit such as grapes, berries, etc.?

sandwich?

bread for toast?

tortillias?

rice?

Would appreciate to know if anyone can eat these things or is this one of those trial and error experiments? Thanks!

I am just 8 weeks out (on Monday) and can already eat salad stuff (not a lot) and the other day had a handful of red grapes that did fine. Have done strawberries and blueberries with yogurt and those did fine as well. The only tortillas I have had are corn tortillas in a cheese enchilada and it worked well. I am hoping that rice will work at some point down the line because I cannot imagine going the rest of my life with no sushi rolls. . .LOL!

I don't eat white bread, rice, and I do eat tortillas but corn torts only...other than that I eat everything else :)

Thank you all for your replies. For some reason I just kind of feared I couldn't eat these things. I ordered one of those bento boxes that Shelley from The World According to Egg Face uses to pack a lunch. I've been trying to think of healthy things to put in those cute little containers but I wasn't sure if could eat that stuff. I'm only 5 1/2 days post-op but if you knew me I am one of those obsessive pre-planners (lol).

I've been eating fruits and vegetables since about a month after my surgery - not counting things like watermelon that I could have right away.

I can have sandwiches, but I will always take one of the bread layers off, otherwise is too much. I can have half a regular sandwich (like a grilled cheese or something, not a Subway sandwich), without one layer of bread.

I haven't tried tortillas, but I've had naan and pita bread and they are both ok in limited quantities. If I'm at school all day, I'll often buy a 9" pita with tons of veggies in the morning and it will feed me until I go to bed.

Rice is ok in very small quantities. If I'm eating sashimi, I'll grab maybe 5 grains of rice with every piece.

Our program restricts raw fruits and veggies for 3 months, and I avoided carbs (no more than 30gr per day) during my losing stage. But, I do eat everything you listed on a pretty much daily to every other day basis. There isn't anything I can't eat. I don't tank up on a bunch of breads, but I can easily eat 1 soft taco from Taco Bell minus the top part of the tortilla.

I'm 8 months out and I eat all those things. But I find that bread and rice, especially, aren't really worth it because they have way too many calories for the nutritional value they provide.

I can eat all of those things. bread is very filling so if I were to eat bread, I would not be able to eat much of anything else.

I eat half sandwiches on those little thin breads that look like hamburger Buns but I only eat half. I think they are called thinwich.

I eat salad all the time. I can eat any fruits or vegetables I want. I can eat one piece of pizza. I could eat rice if I wanted to, but there are usually so many other things I would rather eat, so I don't want to fill up on rice.

So, I guess to answer your question, there is not much room in my stomach. I have to pick and choose which foods I want to fill up on, but I can eat anything at all.

It's funny... I am 2 weeks out and that is all I've worried about. Please tell me I will be able to have chips and salsa again lol As hungry as I have been, I'm more worried about what I can eat and when.

Thank you all for your replies. For some reason I just kind of feared I couldn't eat these things. I ordered one of those bento boxes that Shelley from The World According to Egg Face uses to pack a lunch. I've been trying to think of healthy things to put in those cute little containers but I wasn't sure if could eat that stuff. I'm only 5 1/2 days post-op but if you knew me I am one of those obsessive pre-planners (lol).

It's funny... I am 2 weeks out and that is all I've worried about. Please tell me I will be able to have chips and salsa again lol As hungry as I have been, I'm more worried about what I can eat and when.

chips and salsa are one of the easiest things to eat. I wish I could not eat so much of it. When I go out to Mexican food, I have to take the basket off the table or I would eat the entire basket. They go down like I have no sleeve.

popcorn is the same way.

chips and salsa are one of the easiest things to eat. I wish I could not eat so much of it. When I go out to Mexican food, I have to take the basket off the table or I would eat the entire basket. They go down like I have no sleeve.

popcorn is the same way.

Ok VSG family, I have bought and am exploring some cookbooks for WLS patients. Some actually have some great recipes but I am not sure if I will be able to handle some of those foods eventually. I was curious to know if any of you sleevers who are 6 months or more out might answer this question. Can you eat any of the following foods?:

sandwich?

bread for toast?

tortillias?

rice?

Would appreciate to know if anyone can eat these things or is this one of those trial and error experiments? Thanks!

I'm 10 1/2 months out and can basically eat everything. I've noticed that my fresh fruit however has to be peeled and cored or i hurt alot. . salad took me a long time to figure out, but i can eat it now without pain, tomatoes still do a job on me, but if they are stewed it's ok.. .bread is really better toasted, goes down great, i can actually eat 2 slices toast alone, but a sandwich on plain bread is a bit of a challenge, 1/2 or 3/4 is ok, but i bloat up really fast and start to slime, rice is ok? does the same thing as plain bread, 2-3 tablespoons is my limit, depending on the day and if tummy wants to co-operate or not that day, tortillas? same as plain bread. . .same with spaghetti . . .beef (brisket, roasts, steak,) does NOT agree with me AT all, too stringy I guess. . .but these are my own personal experiences, your may be different. . . yup one of those trial and error thingys!

sandwich?

bread for toast?

tortillias?

rice?

Good morning! I just celebrated my five month aniversary Nov 11th - and reached my surgeon's goal about a week prior to that....I can eat everything you mentioned, although just in small amounts. I can just recently eat a half a Peanut Butter sandwich. I have been eating rice when we go to a Mexican restaurant for months now, although just about a TB. I will just tear off a tiny strip of a corn tortilla to dip in salsa because I don't eat chips any longer and I don't want to 'waste space' on something that has no nutritional value....but a taste is nice. I didn't really like raw tomatoes before, but now I do - go figure! I think everyone is different, so it will be a trial and error experiments...I have not found anything that bothers me, but I AM cautious with Pasta, I can only eat a little, it seems to fill me up quickly!

Our program restricts raw fruits and veggies for 3 months, and I avoided carbs (no more than 30gr per day) during my losing stage. But, I do eat everything you listed on a pretty much daily to every other day basis. There isn't anything I can't eat. I don't tank up on a bunch of breads, but I can easily eat 1 soft taco from Taco Bell minus the top part of the tortilla.

Tiffykins - I have a question - my surgeon has never stressed carbs. It's always Protein and calories. At least for me, maybe for other patients it is different. It's worked, I reached his goal in just under five months. I have kept an on line food log since the beginning, and it does also keep track of carbs. I am maintaining now and my carbs are between 65 and 85 per day. Since carbs have not been an issue with my doctor, I really don't know a whole lot about them. Simple carbs aren't something I eat much of at all.....I.E. white bread, rice, potatoes etc.....is this number high in your opinion?

Tiffykins - I have a question - my surgeon has never stressed carbs. It's always Protein and calories. At least for me, maybe for other patients it is different. It's worked, I reached his goal in just under five months. I have kept an on line food log since the beginning, and it does also keep track of carbs. I am maintaining now and my carbs are between 65 and 85 per day. Since carbs have not been an issue with my doctor, I really don't know a whole lot about them. Simple carbs aren't something I eat much of at all.....I.E. white bread, rice, potatoes etc.....is this number high in your opinion?

Nopers, not if that's what has worked for you and your body. I just knew my body, and what it would take for me to drop all my weight. Once I got to goal, I was having that many plus extra carbs on some days just to maintain my loss and continued to lose sporadically. Your getting in your carbs from good carbs, and probably getting in more Fiber than I ever did during my losing stage. I now eat over 100 grams of carbs per day, and that includes white carbs. If I drop my carbs, I lose. I recently tested this little theory over Halloween (all the parties, drinking, Snacks, junk food) gave me a 6lb gain(up to 131lbs). I went back to eating less than 50gr of carbs for 2-3 days, and BAM dropped back down to 123lbs (8lb loss in 2-3 days). I no longer track my food, just kind of mentally keep things in check, and when I see a little gain, I cut the white carbs way down, but still eat them.