Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all

viv here. just checking in, supposed to have sleeved done today, but got cancelled, well actually, not exactly, went into hospital yesterday, got all prepped up, had to have iv put in ready for my insulin drip, to prepare for the op today, Dr comes to see me, starts talking about the op, i realise he's talking about doing a band, i tell him im here for the sleeve, he goes and check the notes, realise that a mistake has been made and that he cant do a sleeve as he doesnt do that op, so he sends me home to wait for new appointment!!! really fed-up about this now, second time now the op not done, begining to feel that its not going to happen now, i just feel that i have gone and got all prepared and worked up for nothing right now, my family are saying i am so calm but i feel like screaming and crying, i know this won't help things though, so im just carrying on as normal, its hard though, my emotions are really all over the place right now. sorry to be so miserable in this post but it been a tough few hours, any way hope everyone is ok

viv

Oh, I am so sorry that happened to you! I am doing all my preop work now, starting the diet, etc, and I can't imagine how frustrated I would be. However, the silver lining is that you didn't accidently get a lap band. That would have been REALLY awful!

Wow Viv!! I'm so sorry to hear that happened to you! Look at the bright side though, you at least caught the error before it happened. You would have been miserable with the band.

Not trying to make light of it - but the band was such misery for me. Glad that part of my life is O.V.E.R.!!!

My advice, relax! You will get your sleeve, when the time is right. Just this time ask them what you are there to have surgery for. That's really some scary stuff to have to think about.

Hang in there... Hugs!!!

Awww....so sorry that happened! I have to agree with the other posts though~ truly be thankful you didn't have a band put in. I know it will be hard to wait for your sleeve, but my band has been horrible and I wouldn't wish my painful experience on anyone. Your day will be here soon!!!

You hear horror stories about people having the wrong limb amputated, good thing you didn't wake up to have a lapband! I would call them and give them a piece of your mind and say you demand to be rescheduled ASAP.

What consultations have you had so far? I had met my dr a couple of times before my surgery so there was no mistaking what was going to be done and by whom. How did you get a random dr who doesn't do sleeves? :huh:

That is one of my fears. I read on here that the office called to schedule her for her lap band surgery. Everyone joked that she should write sleeve only on her stomach.

When I called my surgeon's office to see if everything had been submitted (in Oct) and the operator said I see that you are a future lap band patient. I was miscoded in their system. The insurance coordinator had submitted for the sleeve. I double checked my approval to verify.

I can't imagine being at the hospital and go through that. Have you been on a pre op diet for 2 weeks? As said before at least you figured it out before the surgery.

Hope you get rescheduled soon.

That is SUCKISH! I hope you get rescheduled soon, i can imagine it was very stressfull to get geared up to only have go home sleeveless!

Hi all, thanks for all your messages and support, it really meant a lot to me, thank you so much!! I am feeling better now that i have had a good think about it, im still dissappointed but not devestated now, i will hang in there, my time will come, just need to be patient a little longer that's all. my pre-op was only for a week but all i could have was low fat youghurt, which i used to really like, but at this moment if i see another, i won't be responsible for my actions, ha ha!

as for the Dr, he thinks there was a miscommunication between my Dr and her secretary, because originally i was having the band, but when i went to the consutant she recommended the sleeve, so i guess there was a mix up in the notes, anyway as you said i could have gone through with the op without realising and been banded.

anyway thank you for listening,

viv

You know what I am going to write sleeve on my stomach before I go! When I first went to the doc we discussed sleeve and sleeve only, then the insurance gal says to me you have been approved for the band and I was like " ahhh no, the sleeve" and she said to me " Dr.G doesn't usually do that surgery" So they resubmit, I get approved and I go for my pre op visit and the the girl says in the weigh in you are here for the lap band Pre op, and again I say NO, the sleeve! She looks again at the chart and makes a face. So when I see the doc I say to him, everyone here is trying to say I am having the band and your insurance girl says you usually don't do the sleeve. He replied," I do it all the time, it is not all that different than doing bypass, it is just half the work" So I asked him about the staple line and if he has good success with lack of leaks and he assured me he does and went on to explain what materials they use.

Just to be on the safe side, I am marking myself!

I talked to a nurse in my family doctors office who had had RNY by the Dr I am getting my sleeve from, and she had never heard of the sleeve. Its not in any of their literature or web site or seminars... the fiirst time I heard of it was when his partner mentioned I would qualify for it and he would approve me. His surgical nurse tried to tell me I was getting RNY, and then when pushed came to shove, she called back and said I could get the sleeve but the Dr. I had talked to does not do the sleeve... and his partner would have to do it. HIs partner has tons of experience with RNY and few complications, is a teacher and lead surgeon at a major teaching and research hospital so I trust his skills... its just the staff....... I may write sleeve on myself too!

I had my sleeve done by Dr. Jawad in Ocala, FL. It was explained to me that I would be asked over and over to verify my info. And I really was! Everybody I interacted with made me tell my name, DOB, and surgery type. I might have started wondering why nobody seemed to know what was going on had that not been explained, but those constant verifications were very reassuring and everything went smoothly. I can't say enough about the professionalism of my surgeon, his team, and the hospital he uses!

Hi all

viv here. just checking in, supposed to have sleeved done today, but got cancelled, well actually, not exactly, went into hospital yesterday, got all prepped up, had to have iv put in ready for my insulin drip, to prepare for the op today, Dr comes to see me, starts talking about the op, i realise he's talking about doing a band, i tell him im here for the sleeve, he goes and check the notes, realise that a mistake has been made and that he cant do a sleeve as he doesnt do that op, so he sends me home to wait for new appointment!!! really fed-up about this now, second time now the op not done, begining to feel that its not going to happen now, i just feel that i have gone and got all prepared and worked up for nothing right now, my family are saying i am so calm but i feel like screaming and crying, i know this won't help things though, so im just carrying on as normal, its hard though, my emotions are really all over the place right now. sorry to be so miserable in this post but it been a tough few hours, any way hope everyone is ok

viv

I am so sorry this has happened to you! I can just imagine how you must feel. . but if you believe in the "path of life" you know that for everything there is a reason. . .there is a reason why this has been canceled like this. you will get your surgery eventually but when your path is ready for you. Good luck and keep positive!