Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Average weight loss

Before surgery I weighed 240lbs but on preops I was at 235, lost 5lbs. Since surgery I have lost 47 more pounds averaging about 5.22pounds per week, consistently. I haven't stopped losing as of yet. I have hit 1 plateau where I was stuck at 219lbs for about 1 weekish, but I was so used to seeing the numbers go down daily.

I have to say that my consistent weight loss is due in whole to both my exercise and my food intake. I exercise, usually daily, sometimes twice per day and I drink shakes twice per day and have 4 other small meals 3 of which are low fat yogurt drinks and 1 or 2 slices of smoked turkey deli sliced meat. dinner is regular, fish or chicken with veggies, etc. I have 6 meals per day.

I am one of those people who loses weight in spurts, also. I've kept track of my progress on Fitday.com, and my average loss/week is 1.2 lbs per week. I want to emphasize that there have been long weeks where the scale does not move; I've learned not to confuse myself with that. It's like a magic trick, I swear. The appearances of the numbers on the scale can be deceiving!

what is your average weight loss per week? the literature that i have suggest that the average bandster loses 1-2 pounds per week? do you find that to be true? what about during the liquid phase post op? did you lose more then?

There is no such thing as "average weight loss".

It is a myth. It makes the medical reports look good.

The purpose of the band is to limit your intake. To slow you down and make you relize you are over eating.

That's it. Plain and simple.

You want to loose weight? You gotta exercise, and make better food choices.

Then you are not even garrenteed to loose weight at any steady rate.

There is no super diet pill. No super diet surgery. No super diet plan.

I lost 19 pounds the first two weeks post op. Since then I have fought tooth and nail, diet harder and exercise even harder. I lost 9 more pounds in two months.

This is a battle. The band is not some secret weapon that will exterminate your enemy - fat.

It's only a tool to help you with the battle against the bulge.

DIET is a 4 letter word. To diet with the band is setting yourself up for failure. It really is about making better food choices not about tediously dieting, taking pills, eating only boiled egg whites, salads, no dressing, no cakes, Cookies, eating only meat and veggies, etc. Sheesh!

Everyone always says "The band is about lifestyle changes" and they are right. That's what it's about. Cooking at home or eating out. It doesn't matter. You can always make the decision to make or select foods that are low in sodium, low in fat and low in calories.

You NEED to become more active if you know you are living a sedentary lifestyle.

EXERCISE, in my opinion..is the most important aspect of weight loss and most important part of creating and maintaining good health and overall well-being.

I went out to eat at Mimi's cafe with my in-laws (7 of us) and ordered Blackened Cajun Salmon with steamed vegetables and mashed potatoes. I didn't eat the mashed potatoes b/c it tends to get stuck a bit but, I also had a Water topped with a freshly cut lime :P. My husband, on the other hand ordered the Hibachi Salmon dish ... honey glazed/teriyaki sauce (over glazed), jasmine rice, steamed veggies and he ordered a side cream of chicken Soup. He also ate the banana nut bread they brought as a starter. He ate half of a small loaf of bread. He ate 2 pieces of a chicken quesadilla appetizer and fried zucchini sticks, (I don't remember how many, sighs). He also ate nacho chips with spinich, cheese dip, which was extremely tempting! :speechles My husband had Sweetened Ice Tea, then a Sprite. Sister in law ordered Chicken parmesan, father ordered Mahi Mahi, steamed veggies and mashed potatoes, with side Soup (cream of chicken). Mother in law ordered exactly what my husband did, etc.

Choices..it's about making the right choices, not about dieting. Overdoing a meal can be soo easy. I think my husband over did it. I'm pretty sure he wasn't even that hungry b/c 2 hours before we went out, they ordered a pizza from pizza Hut :). I didn't eat any of that either, I promise!

Anyway, my point is......... things can be very simple for us, we just need to focus on 3 things when it comes to achieving and maintaining good physical health.

1. food & Beverage Choices (sodas, alcholic beverages, juices)

2. Food portions (not eating hungry man or buffet sized portions)

3. Exercise (not just taking a quick 5 minute walk)

I hate to report this but I am a slow loser and I am really lucky if I can lose 1/4 IB per week. Some weeks nothing. I follow the all the rules and excercise.I would love to find out what you guys are doing to lose so fast.

For the record, I am a self-pay patient but did not go to Mexico for my surgery. With that said, I have an average weekly weight loss of 2.05 pounds.

Like some of the others, my weight loss happens in spurts. I'm a little over 9 months out and have stalled a few times (like now).

There was a statistic, don't know where, but it said that self pay patients did better in weight loss overall than patients where the insurance covered the procedure. It's questionable as far as being motivated due to debt.

Well, I have no average. I have lost 95 pounds in two years. Some weeks I have loss 6 pounds, 4 pounds, 2 pounds, 1 pound...and some weeks I have gained. I agree totally with telly and its all about my food/beverage chocies and exercise.

I went for my first fill last Thursday. The PA informed me that they expect their patients to loss between 8-13 lbs a month. I lost 10 lbs last month but wonder if I can realistically keep that up.

Roberta

I too couldnt say that I have a weekly average, I tend to not lose for weeks and then suddenly drop some. It is tending to be 3-4 pounds a month - would love it to be faster and am inching towards that ever perfect restriction. Trouble is I dont define perfect restriction as the point at which I lose 1-2lb per week, I define perfect restriction as not PBing, not constantly having discomfort or getting stuck, yet able to have enough control that your diet is pretty good and portions appropriate to keep weight coming off. And if that's what I have now and its only 3-4lbs per month then so be it. I only have 40 to go, so I will get there.

I just started mushies last week. Between pre & post-op liquids, and a week of mushies I've averaged 4 1/2 pounds per week. I'm sure this will slow down significantly as I introduce more solid foods.

I am averaging around 1-3 lbs a week. Of course I am happier on the 3 lbs loss weeks but it IS coming off so that is all that matters. I pulled out some pics from Feb before my surgery and my boyfriend and I were shocked to see how much weight I had lost. You can't really tell when you look at somebody or yourself everyday but it was really noticeable. Last month I lost around 11 lbs. If I keep losing like this I will be at goal by the Holidays. Don't know if that will happen or not but that is what I am shooting for. I imagine it will slow down once I get closer to goal.

~Liz~

banded 03/10/06

Dr.Ortiz

241/194/150

5'7''