Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

COMMENTS BY OTHERS

It's been a while since I've posted anything. I have been so focused on losing the weight that my doctor indicated I needed to do before he would give me a date. Other than one minor slip in the last 100 days, I've gone from 240 to 215. I've really limited my choice of foods and basically eat pretty much the same thing daily and get my exercise in. There are days on end when the scale doesn't move and then suddenly it will show a 3 pound loss, (I keep telling myself tha boring is paying off.). My problem though is I am now getting all of these remarks from friends about "if you can lose that muchweight in a short period of time, why are you having the surgery." I'm really get tired of answering this question. When your weight has yo-yo all of your life, I guess some people don't have a clue that I may be able to lose that much of a very strict diet, but if I were to start eating normally, not only would I gain the weight back but some more. I think it's hard for my friends to understand that it's not what I eat, but how much I eat that leads to disaster. I just needed to vent a little- thanks your guys! I'm now at my goal weight and my doctor has now scheduled my labs and EKG and I meet with him on the 24th of November for my date. YEAH!!!

Congrats on going for the date! How exciting. I don't think anyone that has never had a problem with yoyoing will ever get it. Just like I will never get it about being naturally thin without surgery! I look at naturally thin women and I think "Alien"! I hope to pass for one soon.

Just tell them you are doing it to shrink your liver so the surgeon can get to your stomach, and even though you are losing it know in the end I would not be able to keep it off without the surgery. I used this a couple of times and it seamed to work.

I have the same problem. About 7 or 8 years ago, I managed to lose about 130 lbs with very strict dieting. Even after I lost the weight, it was a continual struggle with the scale, fighting to keep it off, gaining some, losing some, and finally gaining it all back slowly. People who don't have weight issues do not understand what a constant struggle it is. Because of the fact that I have lost this weight before, I've been told time and again, "You lost it before, so you can do it again." I think the best you can do is explain to them that you tend to regain weight, and that you want a sustainable solution that's going to work for the long haul. Ultimately, some people may never understand why we made this choice, but I think as long as you are sure that you are making the right choice, just try to ignore the comments and know you are doing the best thing for your health.

I don't even want to get started with what other people say! LOL I am quite tired of having to justify what I am doing, so I don't really discuss the issue with anyone except for one close friend and my husband. I think all of us have lost and regained hundreds of pounds in our lives. We know that we may lose and keep it off for awhile, but all it takes it one slip up and we are right back where we started. I even gained weight back with my lapband. I have found peace with not discussing it. I come here for my support. If the person you are talking with hasn't had a weight problem, they will never understand your side. Now, when you do lose all of the weight, I don't think they will have as much to say!

I get that a lot by co-workers. I have lost 27 pounds since Sept 27th. They keep asking me why I am having surgery when I am losing weight so well without it. I tell them about the odds of people regaining weight after just dieting alone. As well as explain to them that I have done the diet and excerise and then gained it all back mutiple times. I think that they still don't understand, but then again, they are all tiny petite women who have never had a weight problem.

It's been a while since I've posted anything. I have been so focused on losing the weight that my doctor indicated I needed to do before he would give me a date. Other than one minor slip in the last 100 days, I've gone from 240 to 215. I've really limited my choice of foods and basically eat pretty much the same thing daily and get my exercise in. There are days on end when the scale doesn't move and then suddenly it will show a 3 pound loss, (I keep telling myself tha boring is paying off.). My problem though is I am now getting all of these remarks from friends about "if you can lose that muchweight in a short period of time, why are you having the surgery." I'm really get tired of answering this question. When your weight has yo-yo all of your life, I guess some people don't have a clue that I may be able to lose that much of a very strict diet, but if I were to start eating normally, not only would I gain the weight back but some more. I think it's hard for my friends to understand that it's not what I eat, but how much I eat that leads to disaster. I just needed to vent a little- thanks your guys! I'm now at my goal weight and my doctor has now scheduled my labs and EKG and I meet with him on the 24th of November for my date. YEAH!!!

I had a few comments like that prior to surgery as well, as I managed to loose a lot of weight just 3-4 years ago. My reply was always; yes, I can loose weight, no problem. I've done it loads of times, that isn't the main reason for me to to do this. What I need more than anything is a tool to MAINTAIN, I cannot manage on my own to stay at healty weight once I've reached it. Certainly got the yo-yo track record to show for that.

Best wishes for your surgery and good luck!