Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Official What You Will Need For Your Upcoming Weightloss Surgery Thread!

Pretty much many of the things listed here will be helpful to you at home too.

One thing I would concentrate on however is making sure you have all of your Clear liquids and full liquids available and ready to go. I would personally choose to order the individual samples so you won't be stuck with huge tubs of Protein supplements that you may not like post surgery. My tastebuds were really off whack and though I liked some pre surgery I really couldn't stand them after.

However your tastebuds do return and if you buy something you know you liked in the past you may like it again someday after. :)

Thank you! That's very helpful. I'm going to have to find some good samples. I'm currently liking the premier Protein shakes from costco, but I have talked to a few people who couldn't stand them after surgery. We'll see...

Thanks so much for this list. Can someone clarify the heating pad thing? Is a heating pad really helpful? I have some reusable heating gel packs and I'm wondering if they would actually be helpful. I know they're amazing for cramps but I'm wondering how that could help after surgery. Thanks again. :)

Ohhh, if you have shoulder pain from the gas they pump into your abdomen, the heating pad makes you feel so much better. I slept with it on High, under my left shoulder, for two days.

Yes the heating pad really does help with the gas pain. Also, after surgery for some reason you will be cold all the time. So, it's the Two Birds rule. ;)

Not sure how other sleevers have figured out how to keep their food from getting cold by taking 30-45 minutes to eat, but I ordered this online for me. I know...it's for babies...but it'll work for me with Portion Control as well. Here's the link if anyone is interested:

Green Sprouts Warming Plate

Can someone fill me in on the chapstick? Are you congested after surgery?

When I came out of surgery my lips were peeling, and dry, with some raw nicks. I couldn't drink anything for most of a day and a half, just use "sponge pops". When I was under, they put the bougie and breathing tube down the hatch, the surgery was 3 1/2 hours, so the lips got pretty banged up and dried out. I even signed a sheet staying that I understood that I might wake up with cuts or other injuries in.on my mouth...even chipped teeth! Its the anastesia(sp) mostly I think....

Hospital Stay Checklist.doc

QUESTION:

"I'm having surgery soon, what will I need for my hospital stay or for shortly after???"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay ladies and gentlemen, this question comes up here so much - I felt it would be a great idea to start up an official thread. My plan is once I think the list is great enough, I'm going to create a checklist for all the folks out there that will be sleeved shortly and have the above question. Then if you are around long enough and as much as I am, and someone has that question you can just lead them to this thread. Fair enough?

Sometimes its just nice to have everything all in the same place, kinda following the Walmart rule of thumb. They are very successful, aren't they?

Anyway, please start with your suggestions and I'll get my MSWord fired up. ;-) I'll also start with the first suggestion:

Comfy Pajamas, underclothes and slippers or warm cozy socks...

You are amazing!!! This is exactly what I'm looking for! Still nervous about May 13th, but this is perfect.

Why thank you! ;) Whooottt!! Can't wait!!

Yes you will want to cough up any stuff in your lungs if you have it, and do your breathing machine. It's very important. I also needed a catheter but only once, though not every one does.

I'm bringing a battery operated sound machine so I can get some sleep at night.

Oh wow, haven't heard that one before but an excellent idea! :)