Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Three months out

Okay, I'm actually a little over three months out now. My surgery was 15 July with Dr. Aceves.

I was down 45 pounds at my 3 month mark. My starting weight was 242 pounds and I'm 5'1" and change. I started in an uncomfortably tight 18/20 and I'm now wearing loose 16s. The 14s are still uncomfortably tight, but I'll be in them by next month. My shirts were XXL and XL and are now L. No more Xs on my shirts! I've lost a bra size (both band and cup) and I'm finally able to wear my wedding band again. My shoes went up half a size when I went over 220 pounds, and now all of the shoes I bought are too loose and slip off my feet.

I stall every month, twice a month. I lose about 15 pounds a month but I lose those pounds in two and a half weeks. I'm a type 2 diabetic and I'm insulin resistant, and my weight loss is "slow" compared to a lot of people sleeved at the same time. It's normal for me to stall for ten days and then drop six pounds in the next four days.

Milk is not my friend. After a lot of work to pinpoint what was causing my digestive issues, the answer is MILK. Even lactaid upsets my stomach. My Protein Shake, cottage cheese and plain yogurt do the same to a much lesser degree. I was looking for alternative and my doctor suggested goat or sheep milk, saying that they don't have lactose. I'd switch to almond milk or soy milk (if I could tolerate the taste!) but I'm about to move to Tashkent, Uzbekistan, and I wanted to go with an alternate I could find once we move. Goats and sheep abound in Tashkent, but soy milk and almond milk do not!

The great news is that goat milk isn't too bad once you get used to the aftertaste. At first it felt like I was drinking milk while munching on chevre. Since switching a few days ago, I've been able to drink my Protein shakes with only minor intestinal distress. I've also broken through a two week stall and lost 2 pounds, so things are moving again.

I am losing hair. Not too much yet, but there is definitely more hair on my shirts and in the drain catcher. I've been taking Biotin (5000 mcg) since preop and I get all of my Vitamins in - I think the newly increased loss is due to my lower protein intake. While I was unable to drink my shakes I wasn't getting enough protein. I hope that I'll be able to pull through this without too much additional loss.

My diabetes is well under control with just diet and exercise. I sleep better and longer than I did before surgery. I'm also more energetic and move a lot more than I used to, without getting sore or tired.

Sometimes I don't see much of a change, but then I'll see a picture of me from this summer flip by on our screensaver and realize that I've come a long way already. My face is definitely thinner, and I only have a little more to lose before that dreaded double chin is completely gone.

I have no regrets and would have this surgery again in a heartbeat. I wish I lost a little faster, but even at this slow rate, I'll be at goal by spring.

~Cheri

Congrats on your success! I appreciate the update as I am pre-surgery and trying to gain as much knowledge from those who have gone before me (like you!)

I am insulin resistant as well and am prepared to be a slow loser also. But the way look at it - it took me 47 years to get here and it won't come off in 6 months.

Be patient and enjoy your journey! You have come a long ways! I bet you are in those size 14's before Thanksgiving. You have lots to be thankful for this year! Again congrats on your amazing success and keep up the great work!

Kim

I LOVE the the whole way you've analyzed your weight loss -- it makes a lot of sense -- everyone is different -- we all lose at different rates -- I could re-read your post over and over again just to get your sense of contentment with your weight loss -- I too seem to lose and then stall and then lose and then stall. I know that I'll lose, but part of me freaks out when I stall. Perhaps emotional remnants of previous dieting attempts. I will reread your post just to get my head on straight -- thanks so much for you update :)