Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, my name is Sheila and I am tentatively scheduled to have the GPS with Dr. Watkins in Cincy on Nov. 10th. I am excited and nervous at the same time.

The hardest thing I am having a problem with right now is family members who don't think I need the surgery. I think to them is is a worry rather than a you don't really need it. Anyone else have this problem?

And hello JoanieW

Hi Sheiila!

Congrats on making your decision to change your life for the better!

I hope your family comes around and I agree that they are probably just worried about you.

Please let us know how your surgery goes and welcome!

genepha

Hi Sheila,

My name is Donna and I am having my surgery Oct 26th with Dr Vohra in Oceanside, New York. Some members of my family think I should be able to lose weight on my own without surgery. I am 50 years old and it hasn't worked by now so obviously they are wrong. The last time a conversation started about how I could do this on my own I said I was going to do this and I didn't want to discuss it anymore. Now everyone is on board with it.

Good luck,

Hello, my name is Sheila and I am tentatively scheduled to have the GPS with Dr. Watkins in Cincy on Nov. 10th. I am excited and nervous at the same time.

The hardest thing I am having a problem with right now is family members who don't think I need the surgery. I think to them is is a worry rather than a you don't really need it. Anyone else have this problem?

And hello JoanieW

Hi Sheila,

My name is Donna and I am having my surgery Oct 26th with Dr Vohra in Oceanside, New York. Some members of my family think I should be able to lose weight on my own without surgery. I am 50 years old and it hasn't worked by now so obviously they are wrong. The last time a conversation started about how I could do this on my own I said I was going to do this and I didn't want to discuss it anymore. Now everyone is on board with it.

Good luck,

Thanks and yes that is true. If I could do it on my own it would be done already! Since the surgery is so new I have to do a lot of research for them. So I am just going to tell them from here on out I am doing this either support me or we don't talk about it. My hubby has been great and he really surprised me when he said he wanted me to have it done. Said he worry's more about my health than the surgery.

I think the one that has surprised me the most with the negative has been my sister. She needs to have it done herself so not sure where she is coming from with the "You don't need to have it done." We will work it out.

Thanks and yes that is true. If I could do it on my own it would be done already! Since the surgery is so new I have to do a lot of research for them. So I am just going to tell them from here on out I am doing this either support me or we don't talk about it. My hubby has been great and he really surprised me when he said he wanted me to have it done. Said he worry's more about my health than the surgery.

I think the one that has surprised me the most with the negative has been my sister. She needs to have it done herself so not sure where she is coming from with the "You don't need to have it done." We will work it out.

Hi Sheila. Good to see you on here.

Hi Sheila. Good to see you on here.

Hey back. I am sure i will post more after my consults this Thursday

Another Newbie here coming out of the fridge...Ive been watching this boards for a while and have to say im so grateful for all the information and posts. Im having surgery on Jan 24, 2011 with Michel Gagner in Montreal Canada. Im very excited...i can't wait to have such a great weight loss tool and stop with all the crazy diets/fads....

I never made it back due to internet provider problems. I did have the surgery Nov 10th and spent 2 nights at nthe hospital rather than one due to vomiting and dry heaves cause by the anthesia (sp) This is fairly common for me after surgery so I should not have been surprised. Tomorrow will be a week since the surgery and my first day with soft mushy foods. I will trade a finger for a scrambled egg about now!

My biggest problem right now is being so tired and trying to get all the fluids in. I still have swelling and air so I am sure that will get better. If I take more than 2 sips of something I get full or it hurts because of the air and swelling.

Dr. Watkins and that hospital staff are top notch care givers. I am so thankful I was there.

I never made it back due to internet provider problems. I did have the surgery Nov 10th and spent 2 nights at nthe hospital rather than one due to vomiting and dry heaves cause by the anthesia (sp) This is fairly common for me after surgery so I should not have been surprised. Tomorrow will be a week since the surgery and my first day with soft mushy foods. I will trade a finger for a scrambled egg about now!

My biggest problem right now is being so tired and trying to get all the fluids in. I still have swelling and air so I am sure that will get better. If I take more than 2 sips of something I get full or it hurts because of the air and swelling.

Dr. Watkins and that hospital staff are top notch care givers. I am so thankful I was there.

Hey Sheila. Glad you are on the mend. I didn't know that the vomiting and dry heaves was caused by the anesthesia. It will get better. You're right, Dr. Watkins and his staff are top notch.

Hi Sheila,

Good luck,

Hi Donna,

My surgery date is Dec. 7th with Doctor Vohra at South Nassau. He is the man when it comes to this surgery and I am feeling confident that I made the right choice. Please let me know how you did and any comments would be appreciated.

Happy Holidays All:)

Joe

Hi Sheila and JoanieW!

I'm doing it! My husband and I are driving to Cincinnati tomorrow and I'm scheduled for GPS with Dr. Watkins on Wednesday morning. I'm excited, nervous, walking in circles trying to pack!

I started out liking my Protein drinks (SF instant Breakfast and OH Yeah) and the pre-op diet wasn't bad. Right now, I am really sick of Protein drinks! I want food! Not much longer now! I'm dreaming of a bowl of soup!

Any last minutes hints??? Everyone at Dr. Watkins' office has been fantastic and I can't wait to meet them.

I'll post later after my surgery and let you know how it went.

Karen

Hi Karen

I was in your shoes a week ago! I had my surgery Wed Dec 1st with Dr W, I drove from MN. You are in really good hands. The orange popsickles rock! :) Good luck, keep in touch!

Karen

Yes! Only the BEST care with Dr.Watkins! I am glad you all are doing well. I am scheduled to have mine next week! SO excited!

Hello newbie here, I was just wondering what made you guys choose the Gastric Sleeve Plication (GPS) over the Gastric Vertical Sleeve? I can’t decide which one would be best for me and I am so scared of choosing the wrong one. Please help! :unsure:

I had plication because the weight loss results are similar to the sleeve. It leaves your stomach in tact, so if you get something like throat cancer your stomach tissue can be used. Also you don't have the concern of staple line seapage (plus I imagine that getting sleeved must hurt more).

Hello newbie here, I was just wondering what made you guys choose the Gastric Sleeve Plication (GPS) over the Gastric Vertical Sleeve? I can’t decide which one would be best for me and I am so scared of choosing the wrong one. Please help! :unsure: