Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pros and Cons of the Sleeve Procedure

Hi all~

I am new to this site and have read quite a bit about the positive things in having the procedure. However I am curious to hear some of the negative things also as I have completed my options program and will be talking with my surgeon soon regarding this procedure versus a full bypass procedure.

The resources and insight are wonderful here and I thank everyone for being so open to sharing.

This has been quite the journey so far and it is a little scary. It helps knowing others have been there.

Hi all~

I am new to this site and have read quite a bit about the positive things in having the procedure. However I am curious to hear some of the negative things also as I have completed my options program and will be talking with my surgeon soon regarding this procedure versus a full bypass procedure.

The resources and insight are wonderful here and I thank everyone for being so open to sharing.

This has been quite the journey so far and it is a little scary. It helps knowing others have been there.

Here is my list of cons:

1. I can't "down" my Water like I used to.

2. I am ready to leave a restaurant long before everyone else at the table is finished.

3. I sometimes get heartburn.

4. In the beginning, I really had to figure out how to eat. I have learned that I can still take regular sized bites but i have to swallow it in sections. Before figuring that out, I used to feel pretty icky after eating.

5. I hate it when I come across people i haven't seen in awhile and they blurt out "wow, you have lost so much weight!"

6. I am at the point now where I have to be sure to get enough calories. No big deal, I just have to be sure to eat all the time.

7. When I go out to eat with people, I have to fake that I am chewing and still eating when I am so ready to just leave. I move the food around and hide it so people won't question my portion size. I even hide food in my napkin sometimes because I don't want the waiter to ask me if I am unhappy with my dish.

8. I miss beer!

I really can't think of anything else. It has been nine months and I have not regretted it for a moment. I feel so free. Don't even get me going on the list of pros! We will be here all night!.

Here is my list of cons:

1. I can't "down" my Water like I used to.

2. I am ready to leave a restaurant long before everyone else at the table is finished.

3. I sometimes get heartburn

I really can't think of anything else. It has been nine months and I have not regretted it for a moment.

Well that sounds good, not a bad Con list at all. Thank you for your input.

I thought of a few more things and editted my post above. Still not a bad con list!

The problem I have with a cons list is all the cons I have found are really the whole point of the sleeve, such as, if I go out for a meal I can`t eat much. Yay I just ate nothing at MacDonald's.

Cons

Gas pain was terrrrrible first week

At first not being able to drink or eat anything without that pain

Feeling depressed, and having those what the heck did I do moments (this was really bad)

Not having any energy due to the fact not eating enough

Hating food moments, because not enjoying it anymore :(

Foods tasting totally different than before the surgery

Not being able to drink with my meals, I reallllly miss that alot...and not being able to drink diet soda :( with meals

I just stopped using pepcid a few days ago, and my tummy feels weird after eating now (going to find out what that's about at next appt)

Pros

Feeling really good about myself :)

Wearing a size 12 and dropping (been over 18 years ago since I've worn that size)

Knees feel better

I'm NOT heavier than my hubby anymore...thank GOD!

My mother who was home with me (while hubby was at work) first couple of weeks after surgery saw what I went through and just asked me last week, "so was it worth it" and said "YES" with a huge smile on my face!!!

It's a great tool :)

Oh and more more con...concrete bowels! OMGOSH! Only happened once but it was terrrrible, terrible, terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can think of no cons, I can drink wine, beer and eat enough to look normal in restaurants. I often ask for what I cannot eat to be wrapped so i can take it away by saying 'that was so delicious but I am full so can I take the rest home please'. No one is ever offended and it means by Breakfast can sometimes be last nights steak!! I am very happy and I love it when people exclaim at how much I have lost. I have got used to it and I rarely see people I haven't seen in a while so I love the look on their faces when they see me like this for the first time, perhaps I am just as bit shallow and needy :D

Jane x

The post-op diet can seem like a con, but it'll be the same with any WLS.

The sipping thing can be tedious, but as the months pass, and your stomach heals, sipping is not required. I drink like a "normal" person and have been doing so for months.

I honestly can't think of one con. Dining out is now an experience, and not an adventure in how much I can eat, get stuffed, and waddle out feeling like a Water buffalo. I enjoy eating out 1000 times more now than I did pre-op. It's amazing how much fun/fellowship can occur when I'm not shoveling food into my mouth.

Gas pain is temporary.

The hair loss thing was a little worrisome, but it grows back. I'll trade a little bit thinner hair to not have back fat.

All the "little" things are simply a means to an end.

I was recently sleeved on the 27th, so right now my con list is longer than my pro list. However, I'm thinking within a few months, that will change:

My cons (for now):

- throwing up (whether or not I have eaten doesn't seem to make a difference)

- persistent heartburn and reflux

- always nauseous

- unable to eat anything because of aforementioned nausea

- not eating=not getting enough Protein

- laying down all day instead of walking because I'm always thisclose to throwing up

- no energy because I'm not eating

Pros:

- down 27 lbs. which is the most weight I've lost. Ever.

I was recently sleeved on the 27th, so right now my con list is longer than my pro list. However, I'm thinking within a few months, that will change:

My cons (for now):

- throwing up (whether or not I have eaten doesn't seem to make a difference)

- persistent heartburn and reflux

- always nauseous

- unable to eat anything because of aforementioned nausea

- not eating=not getting enough Protein

- laying down all day instead of walking because I'm always thisclose to throwing up

- no energy because I'm not eating

Pros:

- down 27 lbs. which is the most weight I've lost. Ever.

If I were you, I'd get something over the counter to help with the acid reflux. Typically, the main reason we go on a PPI is not only to control acid, but it's too protect the staple line during the first crucial months post-op. Your nausea is preventing you from eating and probably drinking which can lead to dehydration and that will only make the nausea worse.

If you have to, get some Gatorade or Pedialyte to get your fluids in. You can not continue to feel miserable and suffer with acid. The over the counter meds are a wonderful thing, and you really have to take care of yourself. Don't remain miserable.

If I were you, I'd get something over the counter to help with the acid reflux. Typically, the main reason we go on a PPI is not only to control acid, but it's too protect the staple line during the first crucial months post-op. Your nausea is preventing you from eating and probably drinking which can lead to dehydration and that will only make the nausea worse.

If you have to, get some Gatorade or Pedialyte to get your fluids in. You can not continue to feel miserable and suffer with acid. The over the counter meds are a wonderful thing, and you really have to take care of yourself. Don't remain miserable.

Do you have any suggestion for a good OTC med? Right now I'm using Pepcid complete but it is 100% not working :angry:

I plan on calling my doctor tomorrow because you're right, I can't keep being miserable.

Do you have any suggestion for a good OTC med? Right now I'm using Pepcid complete but it is 100% not working :angry:

I plan on calling my doctor tomorrow because you're right, I can't keep being miserable.

I'd get some Gaviscon for immediate relief, and grab some generic Prilosec (Omeprazole), and start taking it. The Pepcid is just kind of taming the acid symptoms.

Zegerid OTC is available as well which is a combination of 2 drugs in one, but I'm not familiar with how quick it will work for you.

Thanks to all who have shared. I really appreciate it and hear what the overall theme is. That basically the "cons" are worth the end result. Looking forward to going to the seminar and then meeting with my surgeon to get the appointment scheduled. The info shared here will help me make my decision easier.