Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is my first post, though I've been reading this forum (lofting) for about six months now.

I'm starting this thread for me, but I'm hoping to pick up some veteran advice and support along the way.

I have always been heavy. It's in my family's genes, though I certainly don't blame heredity alone for my current size. My grandmother died from complications with obesity and though my dad has seemed to keep the pounds at bay at various times in his life, my mom fought that battle once and won, only to lose again over time. She is now at her heaviest and a smoker and I worry about her at times.

This thread isn't about my parents, though, but about me. I'm a twin and love it! Sadly, though, we always stuck out growing up due in part to our size. Recently she lost a ton of weight with a gluten-free diet; now we look nothing alike! This is my time. After many years of research and debate (along with some weight loss realized through traditional methods...then put back on) I have decided to get the sleeve. Here are the steps I've completed:

• referral from PCP
  • get comprehensive insurance that covers everything
  • informational session with bariatric surgeon
  • track down documentation for 6 months of medically supervised diets (Weight Watchers counted, thank god!)
  • psyc eval
  • appt with surgeon Oct. 28

It seems like so far away, but I'm looking forward to my new life! Even with everything I've read, I'm still excited to be taking this step. I hope everything with insurance coverage goes smoothly. DH is on board and very supportive as well, so everything looks like it could end up super successful.

I'm looking forward to "meeting" everyone here and making new friends as I start this next chapter of my life.

Onward, to success! :):blush:

Diana

You are well on your way. Your surgery will be here soon and it sounds like you have an excellent outlook and support system in place. There will be times where you feel like no one understands what you are experiencing, but guess what? We will. Post anytime, this is an excellent forum for support. Welcome aboard!

Anna

Welcome to the board Diana!

This is my first post, though I've been reading this forum (lofting) for about six months now.

I'm starting this thread for me, but I'm hoping to pick up some veteran advice and support along the way.

I have always been heavy. It's in my family's genes, though I certainly don't blame heredity alone for my current size. My grandmother died from complications with obesity and though my dad has seemed to keep the pounds at bay at various times in his life, my mom fought that battle once and won, only to lose again over time. She is now at her heaviest and a smoker and I worry about her at times.

This thread isn't about my parents, though, but about me. I'm a twin and love it! Sadly, though, we always stuck out growing up due in part to our size. Recently she lost a ton of weight with a gluten-free diet; now we look nothing alike! This is my time. After many years of research and debate (along with some weight loss realized through traditional methods...then put back on) I have decided to get the sleeve. Here are the steps I've completed:

• referral from PCP
  • get comprehensive insurance that covers everything
  • informational session with bariatric surgeon
  • track down documentation for 6 months of medically supervised diets (Weight Watchers counted, thank god!)
  • psyc eval
  • appt with surgeon Oct. 28

It seems like so far away, but I'm looking forward to my new life! Even with everything I've read, I'm still excited to be taking this step. I hope everything with insurance coverage goes smoothly. DH is on board and very supportive as well, so everything looks like it could end up super successful.

I'm looking forward to "meeting" everyone here and making new friends as I start this next chapter of my life.

Onward, to success! :biggrin0: :thumbup:

Diana

Good for you! Your going to do great! Welcome by the way!!! Insurance is a bit of a pain in the gluteus maximus though, i was self pay, much easier. . you have DH on board and that is the best news ever! Good for you again! keep us posted and keep learning so that when your time comes your going to be a veteran newbie! :)

Hi Diana! Phew...I thought it was just me. I am soooo excited and a little nervous too. I have only been on this site for a couple of weeks and just joined on Oct. 1. In August, I went with my sister to a seminar on bariatric surgery. Initially, she was interested in the Lap Band and about half way through, as the doctor concluded the VSG portion of his presentation, I went from being my sister's supporter to a new patient (LOL). To date, I had my initial consultation with the doctor, and I've had my lab work done. Oct. 11 is my Upper GI and the ultrasound. After that I'm told I need a psych eval, I have to meet with an nutritionist and take a class. I guess after that it's just a waiting game until the surgery which I'm hoping will be before the end of the year. Is that wishful thinking on my part? I really don't know how long it takes it get an actual surgery date. I'm told for Aetna patients it takes a little longer, however I have IBX.

I've read posts about having a hard time ingesting the Protein, and I know this sounds crazy but I'm looking forward to it because that will mean I will have had my surgery and I'm on my way to a healthier me. I can't wait to chart my progress and prayerfully be an encouragement to others as so many people on this site have been an encouragement to me.

Diana, I wish you all of the best!

Have a great day,

Niki