Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a potential lap band revision and I am scared to death that the sleeve will not work for me.

My BMI is 32. It was a little higher when i had my band installed less than a year ago. I have only lost about 20 lbs with the band and I am constantly hungry, constantly getting food stuck and spitting up, etc, etc. Now I am experience acidic stuff coming up when I PB / Spit up. Gross!

But I'm scared to take the plunge and have another surgery. And even more afraid that if I do take the plunge, that I won't lose anything.

boo!

So . . . does the lack of comments simply mean that this procedure works for everyone? That's what I'm hoping for.

I'd really appreciate anyone who might like to weigh in on this topic.

Sorry no one has responded yet. I am not a revision, the sleeve was my one and only procedure.

Can you share a little more about what has gone wrong with the band? Has it slipped, just can't find the "sweet spot", etc. Knowing what is happening there may be an indication of what you can expect with the sleeve.

If it's simply tool failure, then I would say, go with the sleeve. It has been remarkable for me. Best of luck!

I missed this when you first posted it, but I had a similar experience with my band. The sleeve obviously worked for me. I'm still never hungry, and live a really normal life. I've posted my story here, and have a blog on here from my earlier months post-op. I'll add you to my friend's list so you can view my stuff.

I wouldn't trade my sleeve for anything in the world. I've had great success, I'm easily maintaining, and enjoying life post-sleeve.

Thanks for the weigh in Tiff and Mini. I greatly appreciate it.

My band has just been a pain. I'm either hungry, unable to eat, PB-ing, or eating way too much. It is fickle as can be. I also have a leak in my band. I should have 10.2 ccs in my 11 cc band, but only actually have 8.8 ccs. So it would need to be fixed at some point anyway. I just feel like a failure with the band.

And am scared that I'll experience the same level of failure with the sleeve.

But at the same time, I REALLY want it to be the solution.

If you believe it will be the solution, it can be. I was bashed heavily when my failed me.

What you need to accept is that the band is just crap. Honestly, I fought to make mine work because I didn't want to fail. BUT, I really sat back and thought "what has this damn thing done for me lately?" It caused me to be in severe pain daily, the food restrictions were numerous, I'd puke on Water some days, so it definitely wasn't "my" fault that it had to come out.

Just have faith in yourself, and the sleeve. Seriously, I dropped all but 7lbs with the sleeve alone. AND, I did it in less than a year. So, if I can do it so can you. Get the band out before you end up with permanent damage like I did in 8 short months. I know people that wait and wait and then wait some more hoping it resolve on it's own, but sadly the numbers don't lie. We just happen to fall into that 1 in 4 bandsters will have to revise.

You're not a failure, and you won't be with the sleeve.

Sounds like the tool is definitely failing you. The sleeve has been wonderful - no fills, no over/under restriction issues. It will work for you - just follow the program. I have 3 friends with bands and the tool has failed them all. 3 with sleeves and we have all been successful. You WILL too!

no surgery works for all, including the DS. the question you asked, well this really depends on many factors, first it is not as simple as will the sleeve work after the band? depedning on how long you had the band and depending on your complications the sleeve will not be a great choice (if you have megaesophagus and dysmotility) and you will struggle to lose any weight even if you did superb with the band. those 2 complications have the potential to permanently change the esophogeal arquitecte, making a restrictive procedure only, one that does not have a malabsorption attached, one that will not provide weight loss. after 8 years i had my band completley deflated and subsequently removed. it has been 7 months, the last barium swallow is still abnormal, potentially my anatomy is permanently damaged due to the band. keep in mind band complications increase linearly, and i had mine for some time. i am due to have a another barium swallow a week from today and an abdominal cat scan on the 27th. it seems patients like me can not get restriction with the sleeve due to the abnormal changes in the esophogus. it seems like you had the band for a short time, the long term complications (the band eroding is not considered a long term complication as it can happen any time and once healed the anatomy is normal) in question for the success of the sleeve are really not seen before 5+ years or so and almost always by 7 years. (permanent esophogeal injuries) hope that helps-good luck in your search....wishing all the success...

It will work for you, it is an excellent tool, but ultimately it is you that will get you and keep you to your goal and you will be surprised to realize that with some support you are much stronger than you ever knew. And on the days when you need a little extra strength we are here for you!

Anna

Hi Butterfly,

I simply missed this message because I was in Mexicali on the Hospital bed recovering from my band to sleeve revision. The fact is the band is not for everyone. I was one of them. It's so easy to say, well you have to work your band... well excuse me... and how did the band work for me??? Better yet, WHEN did the band even help me at all?

No, I lost all the weight I did post op all on my own, period and end of story. Once I realized I'd gone through a surgery for no reason I just let it take me down a road I'd rather sooner forget!!!

I'm three days post op sleeve now, and so far so good. I feel great. Was it worth it? Well being as I'm so fresh and new I'm liking it. I still have a lot to look forward to, and in great hopes that this time, this surgery will give me the assistance in all I was looking for with that band thingy (that now sits in my suitcase... lmao -- what good it's doing there now right???)

All the best!! It's not an easy decision to make. It took me a year to come to the conclusion that I still needed help and had to finally make that plunge. Glad I'm on the other side now though!

:scared0: