Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To go or not to go....that is the question

My mom was talking about burgers the other day. We told her about Red Robin's burgers. She's never been there. She and my dad just moved to Puerto Rico, and I don't think they have Red Robin over there. She's going back to PR next Thursday, so my hubby decided to take her and the kids to eat there tonight.

I am 9 days post op. I know I can get their French Onion Soup broth base without the cheese or bread. But I'm not sure if being there will make me sad. It's either go with them or stay home by myself. :)

Go with your family!! I've been out a few times, when my mum came all the way to England from South America, they would eat burgers, fish and chips, and I would quite happily sit there having my soup!!

Have you been there before? I personally can't stand it (then again, I'm not a fan of classic American foodfare, period). That said, I've gone out with friends to restaurants I like since the surgery and was able to eat broth without too much mourning on my part.

I thought it was hard to go and watch my family pig out. But perhaps bring a treat for yourself in case dinner doesn't work out well. Sometimes things were better made from home initially. But then again, it might taste great.

If I did not think I could eat there, I'd be full when I went so I didn't feel sad.

It's hard to say for sure, but I would probably go. You already know that there is something there you can have and at 9 days out after a little Soup you will most likely be so full you won't even want to think about eating anything else, so you won't be sad. It would probably be sadder to miss out on these last moments before your parents go back. Next visit, you can have some of that burger.

I would go because you'll be amazed at just how much you enjoy the social aspect of spending time with your family vs. worrying about what to chow down on from the menu. That has been my experience all along. I enjoy social events weekly, and sometimes several times a week those events all involve food. I never realized how much time I spent eating vs. time spent with good friends and fellowship.

Don't sit at home staring at 4 walls, go sip your Soup, love your family, and remember in the near future, food will not be a challenge, nor will eating out.

Go in with a positive outlook on the situation, and what you can gain from it rather than what you think you'll be missing out on.

Go!! you will love being with your family!! I was there about 2 weeks ago and ordered a cup of a southwest chicken Soup - it was perfect and tasted so good. I was completely satisfied afterwards and not too stuffed. Learning to not be scared when you go to a restaurant is a big thing post-sleeve, but there are always things you can have so don't stay home - you will be glad you went!

Thanks guys. I went and had a good time I sipped on my (way too salty) broth and was fine watching my family enjoy their meal. While helping my 4 year old get the whipped cream off of his shake, I almost absentmindedly put the end of the straw with shake and cream in my mouth, but stopped myself. LOL. It was a nice time and my mom really loved her burger and garlic fries.

AniO

Good for you, my vote was for you to go too....don't miss out on these types of opportunities. The reason I got the sleeve was so I could start LIVING again, which means being with my family, and having fun together. Getting my head around eating out, and watching others eat in my early days, and even now, is a challange, yes. But oh, it's for such a short time, so don't isolate yourself, and enjoy every experience you are faced with head on, chin up and determined to succeed!!