Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foods you used to love but now hate

Hi,

I've been at a 5 week stall that has lasted going on 2 weeks now. But I have faith.

Anyways, I have experimenting with food since I got my sleeve and have found my taste has really changed.

I used to be a potato chip, steak, anything breaded or deep fried junkie before. But now everything is different.

I was craving a taco really bad so my partner made a batch of my favorite ones. I bit into mine and found the shell was like eating bathroom tile and ruined the whole thing for me. I spit it out and fed the rest to the dog (when my partner wasn't looking).

I had some breaded and baked chicken strips last night and wound up scraping all the coating off of mine. It just tasted like dry chalk. yuck.

Potato chips are the same. They don't have the same attraction anymore. Just dry flavorless shingles now.

I never thing about deep fried anything anymore, before I used to crave it. Now it just has no attraction for me.

I keep trying my old standby favorites but end up going through the motions of buying the stuff, preparing it then take one bite and toss the rest.

Really strange that things would change so much.

I do really love popcorn now, I couldn't stand the stuff before.

Will

Mostly I crave sugar less and salt more.

I tried some salami last week. I found it too rich to be palatable. Strange, I used to love the stuff.

I have been craving saladitos for weeks now. These are mexican salted, dried plums. Before I thought they were disgusting, now I think thay are wonderful.

Oh yes and coffee. I was a coffeholic-- I haven't touched a cup in 7 weeks.

I hate lemonade now. Love Tomato and coffee (not at the same time of course) more than ever before. Not a big soda fan now, ewwww, especially orange soda. I loved pecans before, but now hooked on sunflower seeds for life.

Loved corn tortillas, not so much now.

Chinese food...tastes good...doesn't like to go down for some strange reason NOT satisfying to me.

ALWAYS loved Soups, but now not so much.

AND I HATE Protein shakes hahahaha not that I ever liked them.

I am with pumpkin on the lemonade. Loved Crystal Light before surgery and now I could care less if I see it again.

I'm sort of like that with pizza. But, I think it's more because I know I will be so full after 1 slice of thin - I was used to 3-4 pieces prior to surgery. Just doesn't seem worth it for one slice.

Otherwise, I have added most other foods back. I remember days at the beginning that I didn't really like something, but a month or two later, it tasted good again. But, with being able to eat so little, I insist that it taste good if I'm going to take the time to eat it.

There's nothing I like now that I didn't before, and vice-versa, but 95% of the time I'd rather have a home-cooked hamburger patty on a plate with the fixings than a fast-food burger, or some lovely chicken salad with grapes mixed in over Taco Bell... I still like that stuff, but it's definitely not my first choice.

Unfortunately, I still have a major sweet tooth, and a bite of something bad still only makes me want more of it. Thankfully, it starts making me feel icky after a few bites so even when I do splurge, it's not by much!

The only food I've actually had a problem with is broccoli. I LOVE it, but both times I've had it since surgery, it all came back up on me 20 minutes later. That makes me think that it wasn't an over-eating thing, but a food intolerance thing, but why broccoli and literally nothing else? I keep meaning to try some on it's own with nothing else, and see what happens, but don't think to.

I tried soda the other day, and I couldn't even get to swallow it. The taste was so offensive to me that I spit it out. I used to drink six cans of Coke Zero per day.

I am with pumpkin on the lemonade. Loved Crystal Light before surgery and now I could care less if I see it again.

I'm sort of like that with pizza. But, I think it's more because I know I will be so full after 1 slice of thin - I was used to 3-4 pieces prior to surgery. Just doesn't seem worth it for one slice.

Otherwise, I have added most other foods back. I remember days at the beginning that I didn't really like something, but a month or two later, it tasted good again. But, with being able to eat so little, I insist that it taste good if I'm going to take the time to eat it.

Mini, have you tried the tortilla pizza recipes from the blog World According to Eggface? Ohmygod her pizzas are so droolworthy and because they are on fajita-sized low carb tortillas, you can eat the whole thing (it's the size of your outspread hand), thereby having mental and visual satisfaction of eating 4 slices of pizza! If you like thin crispy crust pizza, this is the one for you. Mmm, I can't wait till I can make the Tomato mozzarella one, :sad0:

Mini, have you tried the tortilla pizza recipes from the blog World According to Eggface? Ohmygod her pizzas are so droolworthy and because they are on fajita-sized low carb tortillas, you can eat the whole thing (it's the size of your outspread hand), thereby having mental and visual satisfaction of eating 4 slices of pizza! If you like thin crispy crust pizza, this is the one for you. Mmm, I can't wait till I can make the Tomato mozzarella one, :001_tt2:

Sounds like I better check that out.

I used to LOVE frozen custard. It was an obsession. Does anyone else have it? It is like ice cream except made with eggs and heavy cream (ooh so healthy!) It is incredible. Now I can barely have a taste. It makes my stomach a bit queasy. I also really can't do any ice cream, but I feel like this is really a blessing.

Crud, Barbie, I was hoping the coffee was gone forever. The problem with coffee is that it messes up my sleep and I only really like it with about 4 or 5 tablespoons of cream. Not exactly healthy for me. So I'll keep away from it as long as possible.

I just discovered today, that I no longer like vietnamese food. It was my absolute favorite before. How disappointing.

The food that is the hardest for me to get down is chicken...fixed anyway. I do not know if I just can not seem to chew it enough or what. Most foods do not taste the same. I will think I want something but when I eat it it just is not as good as it used to be. Unfortunately, potato chips do go down really well. I think it is because it crunches down so much. I really have to ration myself. I actually try not to buy them too often. I still want sweets sometimes too. I worry that I am not changing my habits enough. I really want to succeed at this!

I used to LOVE frozen custard. It was an obsession. Does anyone else have it? It is like ice cream except made with eggs and heavy cream (ooh so healthy!) It is incredible. Now I can barely have a taste. It makes my stomach a bit queasy. I also really can't do any ice cream, but I feel like this is really a blessing.

please let this be me. please let this be me. please let this be me. please...

LOL!!!! I love ice cream and frozen custard and any and all of it! I would love to be able to type these words a few months from now!! lol...