Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Over 3 Years and Counting...

I know I should really get on here more to help with the new sleevers but my free time is slim. I was sleeved in May of 2007 and am still doing well. Yes, I can eat much more than before and have figured out how to "cheat" the system with crackers, Cookies, etc. but I pretty much eat what I want. I have put on about 5 pounds over the last 8-10 months but am working on getting it off. I know how it starts, creeping up slowly, and I don't want to have to lose this 70+ pounds again. I changed to a more sedentary job and that may be the cause. I have never exercised and am planning on starting soon, I swear. Maybe this ridiculously hot weather isn't helping matters either because I think everyone swells when it is 100 degees outside. Other than a few pounds, I have had no complications whatsoever and am still very happy with my results. I can eat more like a "normal" person and I still love food so that is important to me! Everyone, hang in there. It gets much easier!

Thanks for sharing. I'm 19 days post, having intense, mixed feelings about my decision to do this to my body. I'm nervous, terrified, yet also hopeful. I need to be patient.

Best of luck in starting your excercise program. The five pounds will come off, no doubt. Thanks again for sharing.

Hi Luck,

Thanks for posting. I am 14 months out now and am accused of being a naturally skinny person these days LOL. I am so glad you are doing OK, for you and selfishly for me going forward.

Jane x

I am so glad that you posted this... I sometimes question myself as to why i did this. I am only a month post op -- I can't believe a month has passed and sometimes I find myself envious of watching others eat. My post op diet was great as I was able to eat almost anything.. And now I eat everything, but food doesn't taste as good to me as it used to. Does this make sense?

For example, we went to South Beach for my birthday to a TAPAS restaurant. We ordered appetizers and I thought I would be in heaven and it wasn't the same. Does that make sense? I used to crave things prior to surgery and LOVED eating. But, it is like that love affair is over. I am not hungry (EVER) -- I eat because it is routine. Every 3 hours, go to kitchen, grab 4 oz of something (make sure it is mostly protein) and repeat. I know I should be incredibly grateful as this is providing me with an opportunity to be healthier but something in me has changed -- and not just my stomach.. My love affair with food...

You will question yourself 1,000 times but it all pans out. I know several people personally who have had the surgery and I have never heard anyone say they have regrets. It is very normal to regret it even 2-3 months out but everything falls into place and those that love food will love food and crave it again, just in smaller doses. Food lost its importance for several months but your body (and mind) go through a lot and it rebounds. Be patient.

:) Very wise advice :thumbup1:

Thanks for posting. Good to see some personalized proof that this continues to work beyond just one year, as opposed to simply dry scientific data.

I'm sure the 5 lbs will melt away as soon as you introduce an exercise regimen. The good thing is that now you only have 5 lbs to lose, not 50. As long as you recognize the gain in time, you should have no problem addressing it.

Thanks for letting us know. It is so good to here these things when we are in the deciding stage. Lillita-I have a love affair with food and can't break up! I'm hoping to get sleeved when I can make the time and make the committment.

I am so happy to see someone posting who had more time post op than I do.

It's nice to know that after 3 years, 5 lbs is all you have to worry about. I keep wondering how this is going to go, since right now, it's so effortless.

Thanks for posting your progress Luck. I noticed that you said you haven't been exercising. Do you think that has affected the amount of loose skin you have? Has it been a problem for you? I would also like to hear about any issues with hair loss and how you bounced back from that.

Thanks again and congratulations on your long term success with the sleeve.

Thanks for posting - its great to hear from long termers as its a relatively new thing....

It IS nice that you gave us your experience as a "long timer"! Would you mind telling us your before and current weight/stats? I'd love to hear more from you....but I understand time being at a premium!

I weighed about 218 or so and weigh 150 now. I am 5'7" so it is a good range for me. I think that exercise may have helped loose skin a tiny bit at my age (mid 40's) but it doesn't make that big of a difference. Your skins elasticity is what it is and chances are when you exercise a lot with weights, etc. your skin will look looser and sometimes worse. Exercise is still the best defense of course so by all means exercise but it will not prevent your skin from sagging and you still may want a nip and tuck at some point... On the hair, it thinned out alot and is still not what it once was but it stopped thinning and is slowly coming back. Biotin was my best defense there because my dermatologist told me to take it and AG Pro Vitamis (available at Walgreens and other drug stores, usually behind the counter for some reason). I have just now started being consistent with the Biotin over the past couple of months and I see more new growth than normal, takes a few months though. I am answering everyones questions at once because I really don't know how to use this site...

Can you tell us how much Biotin you take. Mine says 5,000 mcg but I am not sure what that means.I've been taking it for 3 years since band surgery and it doesn't seem like it has helped at all.

My doctor told me about 6,000 mcg but I only take about 2-3,000 mcg. Have you tried AG Pro? He also told me to take that. It is just a bunch of amino acids I beleive and some Vitamins. I know everyone is different. I don't think mine will ever be the same but the Biotin has helped me. Also try eating more fat. It is good for your skin, nails and hair. I probably eat too much of it...